Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:54 PM
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxnut View Post

BTW, "4-eye Foxes" are the best !!
Yeah buddy! Sold mine not long ago weird going into the shop and the race car isnt sitting there.
JohnVH is offline Find More Posts by JohnVH
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:43 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
I've tried Fabri-Tac and wasn't too impressed with it. In rough testing the bond didn't seem strong on EPP. I really like Amazing Goop(blue tube) and E6000 for hinges. They're thicker and harder to work with than Welder, but don't yellow and turn brittle like Welder does. For construction Welder is hard to beat IMO, but Amazing Quick Hold is a good alternative. It's thinner than the other Goop products and dries quicker.

Only problem with E6000 is that it contains Perchloroethylene as a solvent which is a carcinogen .

Joann is a good source for the glues mentioned.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:14 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,343 Posts
I used to buy all my Welders from Home Depot and just went there tonight in fact and they are no longer carrying it and gone from their website.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:54 PM
Joined Aug 2004
135 Posts
Just assembled an EPO plane (TechOne Venus) with Fabri-Tac and seems to be holding just fine. I read through a bunch of threads on here about Welders alternatives, put together a list then went to home depot etc and couldn't find any (uhu Por, Locktite Stik n Seal). Fabri-Tac is carried by Michaels in the US.
khooke is offline Find More Posts by khooke
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:14 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
I've used Locktite Stick n' Seal as well and it works good, just thicker than I like. It can be purchased at Walmart in my area. I'll have to try Fabri-Tac again, my tests were on hinges but it is probably just fine for plane assembly.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:28 AM
Howell N.J
Joined Apr 2001
630 Posts
Foam-Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by khen View Post
I've used Locktite Stick n' Seal as well and it works good, just thicker than I like. It can be purchased at Walmart in my area. I'll have to try Fabri-Tac again, my tests were on hinges but it is probably just fine for plane assembly.
Hi guys, My name is Eric G, and I am the Account Exec. for Beacon products, Foam-Tac. You don't want to use Fabri-Tac as it will break down when it gets wet, like when you land on moist grass. Foam-Tac has been reformulated and repackaged and will be shipping in 2-3 weeks to retailers near you. I suggest you PM here if you are a retailer and want to stock Foam-Tac, which is a great idea for you since Foam-Tac is the best glue out there for any type of foam.Foam-Tac is light bonds strong dries fast, remains a little flexible, won't yellow and is great for hinges, way better than Welders if used correctly. If your hinges are stiff you used too much!!! A little goes a long way. Foam-Tac is 100% made in the U.S.A. right here in Nyak NY. Do a search for Foam-Tac here or look on the NEAT Fair thread in the events forum, there you will see some builds, and repairs using Foam-Tac that will be sure to please you. Give it a try you won't be disappointed.
Contact me if you have any questions I will be glad to answer you.
Eric G.
Account Exec
Beacon Adhesives
Eric Giorgiantonio is offline Find More Posts by Eric Giorgiantonio
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:53 AM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
Although beacon could really benefit from a bit of proofreading and grammar, I do agree that they make a great product. It's cheaper than most glues and works the best imho.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:01 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Thanks Eric, I'm interested in trying the newly formulated Foam-Tac.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:31 AM
Joined Aug 2004
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Giorgiantonio View Post
You don't want to use Fabri-Tac as it will break down when it gets wet, like when you land on moist grass.
Hi Eric - thanks for sharing this info. Your BeaconAdhesives website page for Fabri Tac says "Perfect for hems, seams and other clothing repairs. Prevents fraying and maintains its strength through countless washings."

If one of the primary purposes for this adhesive is for making clothing alterations, and since your website says it maintains it's strength 'through multiple washings' then this seems to imply to me that it should be ok if it occasionally gets damp from landing on some damp grass.... or is this info on your website no longer correct?

http://www.beaconadhesives.com/cgfab.html
khooke is offline Find More Posts by khooke
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:33 AM
Where did that tree come from
United States, SC, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2010
1,504 Posts
Just got back from Lowe's. Was going to stock up, too late. Already pull it from the shelf. Bought a tube of Goop to see how well it work with some EPP scraps.

Here a sight I found. http://www.hardwareworld.com/1oz-Wel...FQQGnQodHWUATw
kid at 55 is offline Find More Posts by kid at 55
Last edited by kid at 55; Oct 12, 2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined Nov 2009
11 Posts
Fabri Tac/Foam Tac

Hi Guys & Girls,

Wanted to add a bit of chemistry to the Fabri-Tac/Foam Tac debate. Fabri Tac does indeed stand up to water. I have been following the thread, as well as others in the RC world pertaining to glue choices and foam.

As many of you know, both Fabri Tac and 3-in-1 Glue, manufactured in Mount Vernon, NY, contain the dreaded foam eater, acetone. Foam Tac does NOT contain acetone, which makes it the glue of choice for many types of specialty foam.

You are all far more knowledgeable in RC building than me and many swear that the foam-eating characteristics of Fabri Tac and 3-in-1 are not an issue if used carefully during your builds. I will leave that up to you to debate.

I had to jump in.If you have any chemistry questions relating to glue-especially Beacon's, feel free to fire away. Hopefully I am not stepping on any toes here
Karen
Karenbeacon is offline Find More Posts by Karenbeacon
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:48 PM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acetech09 View Post
Hmm... I've only tried once, and seemed to be waaaay to stiff when cured... I retract that statement.
I've had that happen if I pressed the pieces together too hard. You seem to need to do little more than lightly touch them together. REALLY pressing them together like I've seen in you tube videos did result in a stiff hinge.
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards
Last edited by t.edwards; Oct 12, 2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:32 PM
United States, IL, St Charles
Joined May 2011
77 Posts
Iíve used both Foam-Tac and Welders. If they were sitting on the shelf next to each other I would buy Foam-Tac every time for EPP to EPP applications. I think the bonds formed by Welders and Foam-Tac are comparable but Foam-Tac doesnít have as strong of a smell as Welders, is less stringy, less sticky on the fingers and has a better applicator. I especially like Foam-Tac for putting a nice finishing bead of glue, fillet, between the fuse and wing. Welders was great because you could buy it locally at Lowes but, alas, that advantage is now gone.

If I have to order an adhesive for EPP, it will be Foam-Tac. I just wish Beacon could talk some local stores (Joanne Fabric, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc.) into carrying it!

My $0.02
sthill is offline Find More Posts by sthill
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:38 PM
Hoarding balsa is a sickness
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,199 Posts
Karen, I use a product for Depron called "Super Phatic" and it is a water based, penetrating, aliphatic type of glue made by the Deluxe company. I just ventured into the world of EPP after purchacing the Slicko 3D plane by RCPlanebuilder ( Khen ), so I was also introduced to Welder at that time. With EPP, I have no issues with any type of solvents like Acetone, MEK, ect. as they will not hurt EPP. I went to your link for Foam Tac and was cautions NOT to use this product over a varnished surface, protected or not, OR to place any item over a varnished surface after reciently being glued. So what is in Foam Tac that is so bad ? My only real complaint about Welder is I feel that it is a little too thick, a little hard to spread over the contact surfaces to be glued, but it sure works good. I have not tried any of your Beacon products as of yet. Thanks for joining this thread and the others.
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:17 PM
Joined Nov 2009
11 Posts
varnished surfaces

Hey Maxxxx
The varnished surface warning is a result of many phone calls from upset consumers, who used solvent based glues on their brand new very expensive dining room tables, without protecting the surface.
Solvent based glues are much stronger than water based, but the solvent can go right through newspaper. Even the vapors can be harmful to varnished furniture. We recommend extra protection such as a strong mat or heavy plastic. Once the solvent attacks the varnish there is no going back. Better safe than sorry.
And we wish that Foam Tac was carried in more brick and mortars as well.
Karenbeacon is offline Find More Posts by Karenbeacon