HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:50 AM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
838 Posts
Discussion
Gas Engine Brands

What are the pro's and con's of different gas engine brands in the under 100cc range? There seems to have been several manufacturers come and go over the past 15 years. What & why is your favorite brand of gas engines? Easiest to start, less maintenance, lasts longer, best resale value, best bearings and seals etc.
jwellsy is online now Find More Posts by jwellsy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:09 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,454 Posts
Engines I have experience with. Favorite is Zenoah, second is DLE (for the moment). I'm a sport and scale flyer.
Zenoah - Great sport engine and lasts a long time.
DLE - In my opinion, better of the chinese engines, longevity is still to be determined. Others I know using them like them even though they have had trouble with them. Mine seem to be ok for now, but still low time.
RCGF - wont use that brand anymore. Had to do too much work to get it to run when new. Warrenty didnt fix it.
CRRC - worst of the bunch. 1/32" crankshaft bearing side play. Some had a history of breaking crank shafts.
US Engines - solid utility engine. Not a power house but good for sport.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:06 PM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
838 Posts
DLE vs Zenoah is what started me thinking about this thread. OS and Saito also have a few gassers. Zenoah has been around a long time so repair parts should be available for a long long time to come. But, the DLE may have better electronics (that's only a guess, and may have a shorter operating life than a Zenoah mag).

I sure would like to see the prices drop on the Saito gassers.
jwellsy is online now Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:11 PM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Joined Mar 2011
1,178 Posts
I'm still a gas newbie but it's my understanding that DA is the gold standard.

I have a DLE 20 on my Pulse 125 and it's been fairly reliable but a little finicky.
grosbeak is offline Find More Posts by grosbeak
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:36 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,454 Posts
Zenoah has electronic ignition now. I'll be converting my two G-62's to EI pretty soon.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:55 AM
Kansas City
Joined Apr 2010
620 Posts
Plus 1 to edwins comments. My go-to choice is DLE. Zenoah is top shelf, but pricy.
Lifer is offline Find More Posts by Lifer
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:58 PM
United States, TX, Midland
Joined Mar 2005
51 Posts
I like the Mintor. I am really leaning hard!
turbo.gst is offline Find More Posts by turbo.gst
Old Nov 01, 2012, 07:16 PM
United States, NC, Locust
Joined Jul 2001
172 Posts
My favorite 50cc is a Taurus 52. I've had numerous engines over the yrs. They all have their plus's & minus's. The DLE's are hard to beat for the money. The DA's are reliable and their service very good. Go with a reputable dealer that has service and replacement parts.
zx32tt is offline Find More Posts by zx32tt
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:28 AM
United States, SC, Fort Mill
Joined Dec 2012
2 Posts
Guys
Try the Mintor brand. My 33cc runs like a Ferarri, and easy to start. Almost too pretty to cowl also.
Phillip61 is offline Find More Posts by Phillip61
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:01 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,485 Posts
Zenoah
Fox Manufacturing
DLE
Desert Aircraft
SYSSA
OS

KOLM, MINTOR, MOKI, ROTO... The European engines are good too, but I don't have any experience with them, especially here in the USA.

NGH, SV, RCGF, RCG, TURNIGY, etc. The low cost Chinese engines work for the most part, but one needs experience as they may have to fix them, if something is wrong or goes wrong. The main reason they are inexpensive is lack of support and parts availability.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My homemade Hexacopter build
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:45 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Zenoah
Fox Manufacturing
DLE
Desert Aircraft
SYSSA
OS

KOLM, MINTOR, MOKI, ROTO... The European engines are good too, but I don't have any experience with them, especially here in the USA.

NGH, SV, RCGF, RCG, TURNIGY, etc. The low cost Chinese engines work for the most part, but one needs experience as they may have to fix them, if something is wrong or goes wrong. The main reason they are inexpensive is lack of support and parts availability.
Don't forget the Evo
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:10 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,485 Posts
Yes you are correct, I forgot the Evolution engines. Some of their gas engines are made by MVVS which is another European company that makes good engines too. The smaller 10cc gas engine is made in China for them though. But Evolution has parts and stands behind their engines pretty good too.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My homemade Hexacopter build
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:46 PM
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2011
1,220 Posts
The OS GT33 is a pretty nice engine, easy to start
FloridaFlyBob is offline Find More Posts by FloridaFlyBob
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:56 PM
fly low, fly fast, fly 3d
United Kingdom, England, Luton
Joined Dec 2011
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin1 View Post
CRRC - worst of the bunch. 1/32" crankshaft bearing side play. Some had a history of breaking crank shafts.

Edwin
our one is perfect you may have not built it right it is a flawless engine once built and tuned right
nathan100 is offline Find More Posts by nathan100
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:01 PM
United States, TX, Lake Jackson
Joined Aug 2011
81 Posts
My Vote goes to Zenoah, Brison, Quadra. The only problem, that I have ever had was bought a used Brison 3.2 engine of ebay. I ran WOT for three years in my Zero and one of the rod bearing went bad. Not a bad deal since I paid 120.00 dollars for the engine on ebay. I liked the engine so much that I bought another one off of ebay and it's running WOT.
tpasztor is offline Find More Posts by tpasztor