SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined Feb 2010
2,169 Posts
Build Log
Gordon Whitehead Fokker D-VII - RCM 996

I have the RCM#996 Plans for a Fokker D-VII designed by Gordon Whitehead in the 1980s. I believe it is 1/6 scale.

Lazer Works in Wichita Falls offers the short kit, which I should receive later this week.

I plan to model the color scheme by Obit Erich Lowenhardt (rank #3 with 54 downed planes). It is all yellow fuselage with full losenge camo wings. I have a template for the losenge pattern.

I've never done a scale plane like this, so any tips and suggestions will be appreciated!

engine will be the Saito FA-40A and covering will be natural solartex with the colors painted.

I'll probably follow the plans closely, but will used wing-mounted aileron servos.
TexasClouds is offline Find More Posts by TexasClouds
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined Feb 2010
2,169 Posts
Pics from the article:
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:38 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,169 Posts
The wood arrived nicely package and looks to be smooth laser cuts. I glued down one fuselage side with titebond II and some ca. Second side will be done tomorrow directly on top of this one to make sure they match. Then I'll add the offset diagonals and ply doubler.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:41 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,169 Posts
Picture:
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:15 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2009
1,722 Posts
I'll be following your progress; nice project and you have selected a great color scheme. Gordon Whitehead produced some very good model projects over the years and I'd be thinking this one will be a winner. Good luck and enjoy the build!

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:20 PM
Ricinus communis
United States, AZ, Ajo
Joined Jun 2012
206 Posts
I notice the plans use a lot of spruce. Are you sticking with spruce/basswood or substituting balsa to build a bit lighter?
ahrma_581 is offline Find More Posts by ahrma_581
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,169 Posts
Sticking to plans right now, 3/16" bass longerons and balsa uprights. Diagonals are 1/8" basswood offset so they don't show through covering. Other than that, I don't see excessive spruce use in the fuselage. I like that both wing spars are spruce and the TE being spuce should keep me from crumpling it.
Last edited by TexasClouds; Oct 15, 2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,169 Posts
After completing the side frames, the 1/2" sq engine bearers are glued then the upper cowl side pieces are separated from the nose section. That will be a removable hatch for engine access. Then we get to install some formers! I widened F2 so that my larger 6oz tank could be installed. 4oz is called for, but I couldn't resist a slightly larger tank. Since the aileron servo won't be in the fuselage, I plan to move the tank aft just a bit and center it. I plan to install the throttle servo one the same rails as the elevator and rudder.

No pics in this post but I'll add some soon.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:50 AM
Joined Feb 2010
2,169 Posts
F2, F3, Z1, F5 secured to one fuselage side using CA. I'll add some exopy fillets later in the load bearing areas of the engine mount. F3 will have to be modified if I end up sliding the fuel tank aft. I'm not sure if I'll stick with the 6oz tank or just run a 4oz like the plans suggest. If I run the Saito FA40A then 4oz should be fine. I do have a used OS52 on the shelf, but I'm worried it will be too much engine for scale use.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:02 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,169 Posts
When looking at the fuselage side nose area, it gets kinda busy on the plans. This little explanation pic off to the side helped clear up my questions. Plans are very similar to the Clancy Bee I built, but the Clancy build manual was much more user friendly than the magazine article that came with my DVII plans.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,169 Posts
I just discovered another error on the lazer kit. The lower portion of F5 should be plywood not balsa as provided. The lower, rear wing-bolt anchor (1/2" sq beech) is glued near there, but not directly touching the incorrect part. I'm thinking this won't be a problem. I could skin the rear part of this if needed.

The first error I found (lazer cut part) was that the lower fuselage nose balsa piece extends too far down in the rear (between F5 and F6). I had to trim 3/16" off the bottom to allow the 3/16" sq longeron to extend to F5.

AH, i just noticed I ran the pushrod exit sheeting with the grain vertically instead of horizontally per the drawing.

Hopefully we don't get any surprise visits from Erich, I need to make sure the correct parts get installed!
Last edited by TexasClouds; Oct 15, 2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:24 AM
Balsa Dust and CA Fumes
United States, PA, West Chester
Joined Oct 2007
150 Posts
Nice Job

Texas, Nice job so far. I don't know much about scale building, but it looks like a nice project. I started a Bristol M1 scratch built some time back, but never finished. I would follow the plans exactly as they presented them. I would not substitute anything for lightness. The difference between balsa and spruce will not be felt by that motor you selected. There are engineering reason certain woods and reinforcements are designed into the plane., like the Gussets in the Bee, without them the wing would crumble. Good luck and thanks for participating in my blog. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1731502&page=1
Dillion is offline Find More Posts by Dillion
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:59 AM
Joined Feb 2010
2,169 Posts
I cut a hole to allow my tank to slide back into the original aileron servo mount location if needed. I added a thin skin to the lower part of F5 since I accidentally glued balsa in there. Side panels were joined and the cross sticks added. Engine plate was expoxied in. The plans call for 3/16" ply. The lazer parts are two pieces 1/8" and 1/16" thick. Pics below. I found a spec sheet for the D7 as well.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:10 AM
Joined Feb 2010
2,169 Posts
What do you guys think of this oversized fuel tank? If I go with the Saito FA-40A, it should fly plenty long on the suggested 4oz tank. I think Gordon said he got 15 minutes flying his .40 on 4oz. I probably will only fly 8 min flights, so there is no reason to haul around extra fuel.

My OS FS52 is 5 oz heavier and swings 1" more prop. I can fit it in there easily via dimensions, but I'm not sure I want the extra weight and power. The larger prop thrust might make it hard to land if indeed this plane is a floater.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:56 PM
Deadstick
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Nov 2004
79 Posts
I have flown at the Wichita Falls field. It was a nice place in 97-98. Your build looks great, and as a fellow DVII flyer, I say bravo! Does Eddie Hill still fly from that field?
JeffEE is offline Find More Posts by JeffEE