Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:52 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,050 Posts
Discussion
Large DLG Clocks - info needed

Guys,

The powers that be might be interested in investigating getting one or two clocks for use at hand launch contests.

I have a few questions:

1. Where can they be purchased?

2. Do they work with certain software?

3. How do they tie in with the F3K software to keep the window audio in synch with the display?

4. Are they a custom build project or can the be purchased from a retailer?

5. how much are they?

6. What is used to mount them? Price?

7. What are their power requirements?

Any additional information would be appreciated.

thanks

Frank
Fly2High is online now Find More Posts by Fly2High
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:18 AM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,758 Posts
Adam Weston (Red) is probably the "go to man" on clocks. You can find him on the Pacific NW hlg thread.

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:12 AM
Russ Young
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Mar 2006
1,165 Posts
Adrian (extremewing) is your software man. He'll be on the Utah DLG Happenings thread.
isoarthenland is online now Find More Posts by isoarthenland
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:43 AM
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Nov 2003
1,148 Posts
Frank,

Contact Red at "red@tgworks.com" and check out his blog
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=99628

James
hohensej is online now Find More Posts by hohensej
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Information
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:48 AM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,871 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1453871

This software runs the big clock from Red.

Adrian has used a TV before as well to run the clock off the HDMI out of an android device.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:20 PM
Adam RED Weston
Brier, WA
Joined May 2006
523 Posts
Clocks From Two Lefties Timing

Frank,

I'd be happy to field your questions about our clocks.

Bruce and I bought 3 of these big (10 inch tall characters) clocks and have spent this year programming them and getting them ready to meet the strict requirements of HLG contest timing.

My initial foray into digital clocks was documented in this thread (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1115636). Unfortunately, these clocks form Louisiana weren't as bright as we really needed for outdoor timing, so last year when we found these big clocks available from China we got pretty excited.

You can see some pictures of the current system in my blog http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=99628

So far the clocks have made it to several SASS contests, The Bruce, The NATS, Blue Skies over Utah, The 2012 TS in Denver (aka dust mitigation testing), and recently at the ECHLGF in NC.

We've programmed the clocks to work with an RS232 connection to a laptop that runs a visual basic program that reads the .m3u files out of Oleg's F3K Score software. It plays the sounds out through the computer sound card and sends signals to the clocks through an RS232 connection.

In parallel (as mentioned above) Adrian and I worked out some programming so that his F3K Master software would also control the software. F3K Master runs on an Android phone or tablet and sends sounds out of the device's 1/8 stereo jack and sends signals to the clocks through a bluetooth connection.

Both systems have the exact same functionality, it's really a preference on how the CD wants to run his/her contest. The Blue Skies and the TS used the Android interface and the rest used the PC Laptop interface.

Now answering your questions directly:

1. Where can they be purchased?
Bruce and I would be happy to work with you to order your own set of clocks. We also will be renting the systems next year if that works better for you. Please IM me or email me (red@tgworks.com) for details.

2. Do they work with certain software?
Windows Laptop (F3K_MP3) or Android (F3K Master)

3. How do they tie in with the F3K software to keep the window audio in synch with the display?
Each software has its own programming scheme... but they both send signals to the clock that are synchronized with the sound files. I talk a lot about this in the thread above, and the scheme is similar to what Adrian is using, but I actually pursued a different scheme for the new clocks.

4. Are they a custom build project or can the be purchased from a retailer?
We purchased the clocks from a Chinese wholesaler, and then the programming and interface was custom. We'd like to work with the HLG community to get more clocks imported and working, please email me for further information. Perhaps through a big group order this winter?

5. how much are they?
Please contact me directly about this as well, there are several options available.

6. What is used to mount them? Price?
We ordered speaker stands from eBay at 4 for $86. We then had to do some custom welding to mate them to the brackets the clocks came with.

7. What are their power requirements?
The clocks can come with 120 VAC or 12 VDC. The ones we ordered were 12 VDC so they could run off of winch batteries at the field. In normal operation they pull about 1 amp, although the label on the clock says 60W, which would be ~5 amps at 12 VDC... In practice, a winch battery will run 2 clocks for a day of contest.

Thanks,

Adam
RED_HLG is offline Find More Posts by RED_HLG
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:39 PM
Adam RED Weston
Brier, WA
Joined May 2006
523 Posts
New LED Clock Order

For those interested in getting a set of LED clocks like the ones used at the JEM our the US Team Selects, Two Lefties Timing is putting together an order from China. Please IM me or send me an email if you are interested and I'll send you information on pricing and such.

Thanks, Red
red@tgworks.com
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:19 PM
Adam RED Weston
Brier, WA
Joined May 2006
523 Posts
Decision time

If you are interested in One of these LED clocks, please contact me ASAP, if your haven't already. Thanks,
Red
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:21 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,050 Posts
Red,
we already spoke and I declined at this time. Not sure if this was meant to be opened to everyone or not or it was specifically to me.

thanks though....

Frank
Fly2High is online now Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:50 AM
Adam RED Weston
Brier, WA
Joined May 2006
523 Posts
Thanks Frank, no I was opening it to anyone who's interested in a clock.

Red