HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:43 PM
Evansville, IN
Joined Jul 2002
301 Posts
In he pictures I saw online from the "Victor shops", they were vacuum formed (I guess that could be called "suck molded" - LOL).

There was a picture of them heating the plastic and then placing it over an inverted hull plug and then holding up the vacuum formed sheet with the hull before trimming. Didn't look from the old, grainy pictures that they even had holes in the plug for pulling a vacuum (probably would be too small to see in the pic anyway), looked like they just drew the hot plastic sheet in the frame down over the plug.

It was an older set of pics so maybe they have changed to blow molding.

I'll try to find that link that I had and post the pic(s) here. Might be on my laptop.
11290 is offline Find More Posts by 11290
Last edited by 11290; Oct 11, 2012 at 07:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:53 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11290 View Post
In he pictures I saw online from the "Victor shops", they were vacuum formed (I guess that could be called "suck molded - LOL).

There was a picture of them heating the plastic and then placing it over an inverted hull plug and then holding up the vacuum formed sheet with the hull before trimming. Didn't look from the old, grainy pictures that they even had holes in the plug for pulling a vacuum, looked like they just drew the hot plastic sheet in the frame down over the plug.
Here is a link with a short story of Victors Models with some pics.

http://www.v32rc.org/id7.html
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:58 PM
Evansville, IN
Joined Jul 2002
301 Posts
Newer pics than the ones I had seen. These are color and the others were B/W.
11290 is offline Find More Posts by 11290
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:06 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,322 Posts
Prior to his passing, I worked with George to determine if they could form hulls for the Formula48 multihull class. Unfortunately, they were too large (48 inches) for his vacuum forming equipment. He did offer the idea of a 1 meter set of hulls, but because of very limited interest by the r/c sailing community we both felt it would be difficult to recoup material and technology costs. To do an even bigger hull simply was out of question - but at that time (early 2000's) they were using vacuum forming of styrene plastic for their hulls.

George was a fine individual and one who would spend whatever time was needed to answer questions. Hopefully the Victor Product line will continue.

R.I.P. George.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:12 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
Prior to his passing, I worked with George to determine if they could form hulls for the Formula48 multihull class. Unfortunately, they were too large (48 inches) for his vacuum forming equipment. He did offer the idea of a 1 meter set of hulls, but because of very limited interest by the r/c sailing community we both felt it would be difficult to recoup material and technology costs. To do an even bigger hull simply was out of question - but at that time (early 2000's) they were using vacuum forming of styrene plastic for their hulls.

George was a fine individual and one who would spend whatever time was needed to answer questions. Hopefully the Victor Product line will continue.

R.I.P. George.
I bought my first sailboat from George, walked into the shop in Downey and walked out with a V-32. Good people !!!
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:56 PM
Northern Colorado
Joined May 2004
235 Posts
I purchased a used V32 and the previous owner did not remove the keel before packing and shipping. It was well packed and the box was not damaged, but the keel broke out the hull. It might be fixable, but that was almost 1-1/2 years ago and I haven't gotten to it. The reason for buying used was to get something already mostly ready to sail.

Dave
rcfun33 is online now Find More Posts by rcfun33