HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:30 AM
1 can never have 2 many planes
Australia, QLD, Surfers Paradise
Joined Sep 2011
617 Posts
Build Log
DH Vampire MK5 epp pusher

plans are just starting to take shape as possibly my second last model before i return back to austrlia.. I loved the way my Me262 twin pusher flies, so i thought i would have another crack at a jet model, and i havent seen too many vampires models out there so why not. the vampire MK5

planning for this model to be around the 850mm wingspan range. hopefully will be powered my a 1600kv "tiny but mighty" motor from hobbyking spinning a 6x4 prop.. and carrying a payload of hopefully 1000 milli-amps of 3s goodness.

stay tuned!
chambo88 is offline Find More Posts by chambo88
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:52 PM
Joined Sep 2011
617 Posts
plans have been completed along with some inital testing of some motors. right away i determined the 1600kv was goin to be lacking the power required for scale flight speed for this model. Was only producing 75watts at 6amps. unfortunately that was spinning the 6x4 prop which meant i had already reached the limits of the possible prop size due to the twin booms. decided to try out instead the "floater jet motor" (also from hobbyking).. BIG improvement.. swinging a 4.5x4.5 i was getting 145watt at 9.9amps at 3.7v. so motor has been chosen..

cutting of foam will begin 2moro. let the fun begin!!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:27 PM
This is kid stuff.
USA, AR, Harrison
Joined Aug 2010
819 Posts
I really like the Vampire.
Mazzepa1 is online now Find More Posts by Mazzepa1
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:29 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,597 Posts
Hello Mark

Watching with interest, looks like you're going to need a bigger removals truck the rate your turning out more planes ....
Andy
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phoenix 2000
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:57 AM
Joined Sep 2011
617 Posts
hey andy, i was pretty lucky in that just last week i had a visit from my parents from back home.. when they left the other day, they were able to take my lancaster, mosquito and about 7kg more of batteries and clothes that i wont need for the rest of my stay.. so that should allow me to take the me262, a-10, vampire and b-25 back along with the rest of my stuff happy days.. although i have far less clothing to wear, at least i can still take home what is important :P

also have just finished cutting out the basic components this morning gettin excited!
Last edited by chambo88; Oct 11, 2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:31 PM
Joined Sep 2011
617 Posts
progress update as it continues, have finished moulding the body and have cut out the tail sections (vertical and vorizontal stabs).. now to finish moulding the tail booms and the wings. pics coming soon!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:02 PM
Joined Sep 2011
617 Posts
ok so couldnt help myself and i have been up all night in the hopes of gettin this bad boy finsihed.. any pending the maiden it is done looks better in reality.. the pics dont look so good. will be better when she is painted. but here are the pics anyways. as you can see it takes a 1300mah easily with room to spare, but i think it will carry a 1000mah for the maiden.. maybe then ill move it up...
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:46 PM
USA, WI, Cedarburg
Joined Sep 2010
54 Posts
Very nice! Can't wait to see it painted. Good luck with the maiden flight! Let us know how it goes.
StreetCred is online now Find More Posts by StreetCred
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:29 PM
Joined Nov 2011
27 Posts
Great and fast build Do you sand or cut it into form?

Viele Grüße aus Deutschland
sasquotschi is offline Find More Posts by sasquotschi
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:30 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambo88 View Post
ok so couldnt help myself and i have been up all night in the hopes of gettin this bad boy finsihed
Christ Mark, you gotta sleep sometime, slow down you plane building madman

I think it looks amazing, have you thought about a paint scheme yet?
Andy
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phoenix 2000
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:47 AM
Joined Sep 2011
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquotschi View Post
Great and fast build Do you sand or cut it into form?

Viele Grüße aus Deutschland
danke! the foam was cut using a hot wire cutter and then moulded using a clothing iron..
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:52 AM
Joined Sep 2011
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero Andy View Post
Christ Mark, you gotta sleep sometime, slow down you plane building madman

I think it looks amazing, have you thought about a paint scheme yet?
Andy
hahaha yeah i should slow it down but its too much fun.. thanks she turned out nicer than i though it would.. i am how-ever paying the price for it now though.. finished at about 2am and went to bed.. no1 told me but the people on the floor above us decided this morning to get out what sounded like a jackhammer at 8 fricken am and have been goin ever since! sounds like renovations... ... hope they like loud music.. cos 2nite im guna paint the a-10 and the vampire to the sound of some LOUD music..
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:15 AM
This is kid stuff.
USA, AR, Harrison
Joined Aug 2010
819 Posts
Beautiful job. I especially like how the booms attach and blend to the fuselage.

EPP shaping like that is out of my league. I'll have to pursue a different construction method or go to EPP school for my 1rst Vampire.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:36 AM
Joined Sep 2011
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzepa1 View Post
Beautiful job. I especially like how the booms attach and blend to the fuselage.

EPP shaping like that is out of my league. I'll have to pursue a different construction method or go to EPP school for my 1rst Vampire.
its really not that hard to mould epp.. if you like i can do up a demo of some kinda.. maybe some pics and a short video??
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:53 PM
This is kid stuff.
USA, AR, Harrison
Joined Aug 2010
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambo88 View Post
its really not that hard to mould epp.. if you like i can do up a demo of some kinda.. maybe some pics and a short video??
I, and perhaps many others would be very grateful for a tutorial on your techniques. Of course, the more video the better........