Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:58 AM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,404 Posts
Discussion
Hobby King Premium Outrunner Motors - Worth It?

Is there anything superior or special about this series of HK motors: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html ??

Thank you!
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:05 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,802 Posts
Idon't own one and don't know for sure but I'd be surprised to find them much better than most motors. Some of the things they say about it are just plain silly.

A "string wound stator?" Give me a break, the use of lacings to keep stator windings from coming in contact with magnets is not uncommon.

"Double shielded bearings?" Virtually every motor sold anywhere in the world has double shielded bearings.

"..We instructed the engineers to source the best quality magnets, bearings and materials available to them and develop a motor that would not only rival, but surpass the quality of many leading motor manufactures on the market today..."

That is nothing more than absolutely unsubstantiated babbling from the advertising copy writers in the hopes of increasing sales at higher prices. If all of those things are better quality, tell me the makes and models of the bearings, magnets, and other bits and pieces. What are the N rating and termperature ratings on the magnets? What class are the bearing? Who made the bearings? Etc.,etc...

They say it is a 505W motor (not 550W as I said originally), I'm willing to bet that it would only last a short time at that power level. That is a peak reading and should be qualified as such in the advertising.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Last edited by jackerbes; Oct 10, 2012 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Correct the watt figure...
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:20 AM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,507 Posts
It's like how they said that the Nano-Tech batteries had some new chemistry that made them better than all the rest... I've yet to see that claim proven.

And I do think that 505W is a peak number... I'd bet about 310W continuous from that thing.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:19 PM
Electric Hippy
Brisbane
Joined Nov 2005
2,360 Posts
I have about four now and they are all perfectly balanced and have stood up well to crashes ie no loose magnets. These have been issues on some other HK motors I have owned. Power is about the same as other good HK motors but not as good as those 500% the price.
Eagleburger is offline Find More Posts by Eagleburger
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:55 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,393 Posts
see this

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4169

I also had one break in the same way...I don't recommend for 3d flight
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:24 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
The cost of the parts to make a motor is the major determining factor for the retail price. The magnets, wire and bearings are purchased from outside company's. There is no low cost motor that can have top quality parts. Especially the magnets, as there are only two company's in the world that make top notch magnets so there is no getting around that cost. Being that a majority of electric motors are made in China and the government sets the wages I don't see labor costs being a significant factor in the difference in price between a (ie) Scorpion and and HK motor.
zeroback is offline Find More Posts by zeroback
Last edited by zeroback; Oct 12, 2012 at 02:07 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:45 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,387 Posts
In the picture you can clearly see the small-gauge spaghetti-bowl windings. I'd say there's nothing special about that motor.

That being said, I also don't see anything wrong with the stated power. The max current rating is 34A which isn't all that crazy for a 110g, 1050Kv motor. If we assume the battery is a 4S pack dropping to 15V under load, that's 510W right there. Either way, I could run it on 6S and hit 505W at just 22A, which would certainly be well within its useful capabilites.

How long will it be before people realize that the watt number alone is almost meaningless?
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:51 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,802 Posts
As far as I know HK does not manufacture motors even though the advertising babble there implies otherwise. And there are technical details to explain why the motor might be better.

Here is a better explanation of a motor design process and it has the specifics that explain why Scorpion motors are better than many other motors:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=35

At the end of that it is easy to understand why a comparably sized Scorpion motor would have a MSRP that is about three times as high. The Scorpion motor would also have higher continuous and peak power ratings.

That post also goes into an explanation of how motors work and explains motor efficiency. HK is not trying to explain anything to that level of detail but if they used designators or specific brands and grades to identify magnets, wire, and bearings they would be more believable. They would serve themselves well to mention some more specific details in the advertising copy if they want to overcome their long history of misrepresenting the qualities of their products. I am skeptical as to anything they say. .

Jack
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:09 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,942 Posts
Ahem.. 'the above linked' reads like nothing more than Brochure Babble.
Those may be good motors.
But they have shown to benefit from a rewind and decent bearings.
Surprising to me at least..in view of their current price points.
Certainly my Lehners need neither albeit Inrunners, consequently beyond my meager skills to do so, in any event.
Smoke and mirrors seems a recurring rascal.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:22 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,387 Posts
Quote:
As far as I know HK does not manufacture motors even though the advertising babble there implies otherwise.
HobbyKing is the storefront for HexTronik LTD, which is the company doing the designing and manufacturing. Turnigy is their biggest brand.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:16 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Imagine if Hextronic LTD existed in the environment that allowed Sony to be created. There really would be low cost high quality motors.
zeroback is offline Find More Posts by zeroback
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:27 PM
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Aug 2010
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
As far as I know HK does not manufacture motors even though the advertising babble there implies otherwise. And there are technical details to explain why the motor might be better.

Here is a better explanation of a motor design process and it has the specifics that explain why Scorpion motors are better than many other motors:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=35

At the end of that it is easy to understand why a comparably sized Scorpion motor would have a MSRP that is about three times as high. The Scorpion motor would also have higher continuous and peak power ratings.

That post also goes into an explanation of how motors work and explains motor efficiency. HK is not trying to explain anything to that level of detail but if they used designators or specific brands and grades to identify magnets, wire, and bearings they would be more believable. They would serve themselves well to mention some more specific details in the advertising copy if they want to overcome their long history of misrepresenting the qualities of their products. I am skeptical as to anything they say. .

Jack
Jack,

Thank you for the dissertation on the brushless motors! I really appreciated your post and even though it will take me several rereads to grasp all of that data, it is nice to see real science instead of technobabble. Would you comment on the Japanese competitor who has an internal fan on the armature. Is this an attempt to use cheaper magnets? It seems that if the armature fan is taking some of the available output power, less is going to the propeller.

Ron
doublebuck is offline Find More Posts by doublebuck
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:17 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,393 Posts
real science minus the bearings.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:39 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebuck View Post
Jack,

Thank you for the dissertation on the brushless motors! I really appreciated your post and even though it will take me several rereads to grasp all of that data, it is nice to see real science instead of technobabble. Would you comment on the Japanese competitor who has an internal fan on the armature. Is this an attempt to use cheaper magnets? It seems that if the armature fan is taking some of the available output power, less is going to the propeller.

Ron
I think I know the motor your mean. I don't own any or them nor do i own any Scorpion or higher end than that motors. I don't want to present myself as someone with a great depth of experience and knowledge. More just another guy with an opinion on the question asked.

As for the fan, it if works, I guess it works. In theory I guess it could break even. It consumes a little power but also improves the cooling which prevents some power losses. So maybe it breaks even in the end.

I don't like getting motors hot in use so I tend to over power and fly at less than full throttle except for occasional moments here and there...

Jack
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:49 PM
Agressive driver
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2011
1,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post

"..We instructed the engineers to source the best quality magnets, bearings and materials available to them and develop a motor that would not only rival, but surpass the quality of many leading motor manufactures on the market today..."

Jack
That is what they instructed them to do, but knowing HK i bet they didnt
zanek is offline Find More Posts by zanek