Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
14,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doushiyou12 View Post
Thanks gents.
Happy new year.
I will get back to work on her in a few days.
Sounds Good! we will be here, Love the current progress!
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:24 AM
Joined Feb 2010
1,651 Posts
So I ran into a picture which I thought was a md11 at first but the winglets looked much larger. It's dc10 with winglets awesome. Guess test did not have a positive outcome ??
Doushiyou12 is offline Find More Posts by Doushiyou12
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:31 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
14,871 Posts
Quote:
So I ran into a picture which I thought was a md11 at first but the winglets looked much larger. It's dc10 with winglets awesome. Guess test did not have a positive outcome ??
That's actually a DC-10-10 fitted with winglets in about 1985 or 86 as a fuel economy test.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:39 AM
A Global Force For Good
USA, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Jun 2009
730 Posts
DC10..... not today

Sorry to be a wet blanket but ever since Flight 191 I can't get in one of these things. I know it's stupid, but I was flying at the time and for whatever reason this particular accident seemed so completely avoidable and demonstrated just how dependent a flight crew (not to mention the poor geese) are on maintenance people to get it right...... I retired the 10 from my "I would love to fly that one" list that day and have never gotten over it.
jmpdgs is offline Find More Posts by jmpdgs
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:44 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
14,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpdgs View Post
Sorry to be a wet blanket but ever since Flight 191 I can't get in one of these things. I know it's stupid, but I was flying at the time and for whatever reason this particular accident seemed so completely avoidable and demonstrated just how dependent a flight crew (not to mention the poor geese) are on maintenance people to get it right...... I retired the 10 from my "I would love to fly that one" list that day and have never gotten over it.
Other than the rear Cargo door trouble in the early 70's The DC-10 series airliner has been a pretty safe jet, all other Crashes have been as you said Maintenance & pilot-Human error.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:11 AM
Joined Feb 2010
1,651 Posts
I have a question, I have been concerned about this setting,
I have been looking at some details of the DC10 and I have noticed that the horizontal stabs are trimmed downward for take offs and landings,

I have applied this setting to my build about 2degrees downward. how will this affect my model since its not the real thing of course or should i just go for neutral setting?
I know each plane will have different performance configurations, weights etc

Thanks for your time, hopefully I will have minor updates tonight.
Last edited by Doushiyou12; Jan 13, 2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:49 AM
Joined Feb 2010
1,651 Posts
airfoils for the horizontal stabs are just a flat piece FFF sandwiched with 2mm depron
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:04 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
14,871 Posts
Quote:
I have been looking at some details of the DC10 and I have noticed that the horizontal stabs are trimmed downward for take offs and landings,

I have applied this setting to my build about 2 degrees downward. how will this affect my model since its not the real thing of course or should i just go for neutral setting?
I know each plane will have different performance configurations, weights etc

Thanks for your time, hopefully I will have minor updates tonight.
Hi Boss, What your seeing if the Flying tail of the DC-10 most airliners have a flying tail that helps "trim" the plane in flight, the downward angle of the stabilizer is the setting that the pilot uses for the "landing flare" to help during landing.

I would have it zeroed if it was me put a few degrees up or down won't hurt.

HD DC-10-30s Landing at Gatwick (2 min 28 sec)

HD DC-10-30s Landing at Gatwick (2 min 28 sec)

McDonnell Douglas DC-10,Landing & Power of Boost "CF6-40" Engines (2 min 43 sec)

watch the stabilizer in these DC-10 vids
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:15 PM
clsink1128
United States, IA, Burlington
Joined Aug 2011
409 Posts
There's something I've never paid attention to, a fourth gear on the DC-10. Learn something new every day on RCG
clsink1128 is offline Find More Posts by clsink1128
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:34 PM
President @ Hemet Model Master
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Oct 2006
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsink1128 View Post
There's something I've never paid attention to, a fourth gear on the DC-10. Learn something new every day on RCG
That 4th gear was on long range or cargo only the short range never had it....
huggie9999 is offline Find More Posts by huggie9999
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:29 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Mar 2010
755 Posts
Quote:
It's pointed downward but trimmed for nose up. Two reasons:

1. slower airspeed=higher angle of attack. If the nose is trimmed pitch up, it will require less control force on the yoke to maintain that high angle of attack.

2. Trim setting might be high nose up for engine out performance. When an engine is failed just after lift off, the pilot must use nearly all of the lift the wing can obtain so that they can maintain obstacle clearance and climb out of danger. Having the aircraft pre-trimmed for that will aid the crew substantially.
jdlilfan is offline Find More Posts by jdlilfan
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:42 PM
clsink1128
Joined Aug 2011
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggie9999 View Post
That 4th gear was on long range or cargo only the short range never had it....
That would explain why I've never noticed. only seen short ranged
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:19 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I gotta say that the DC10 was probably the smoothest ride I've ever had in an airplane. the worst were the Tristar and the 707. the Tristar had a lousy safety rating and I still got in it. LOL.

the 747 has one of the best safety ratings and I would rather fly in the DC10 than the 747. I miss them. beautiful machines to maintain and ride in.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:27 PM
clsink1128
Joined Aug 2011
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
I gotta say that the DC10 was probably the smoothest ride I've ever had in an airplane. the worst were the Tristar and the 707. the Tristar had a lousy safety rating and I still got in it. LOL.

the 747 has one of the best safety ratings and I would rather fly in the DC10 than the 747. I miss them. beautiful machines to maintain and ride in.

Rich
My dad was just telling earlier that the Tristar was the worst ride he's ever been on also. pretty bad when you here it from 2 different people in the same day
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:06 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
that's cause we don't lie. the Tristar is lousy all around. just an incredibly bad design IMHO.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7