HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:12 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
LcJ's Avatar
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
and in other news see below. This Repub conspriacy theory is laughable.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/09/news...html?hpt=hp_t3

Labor Secretary Hilda Solis criticized the conspiracy theories Friday.
"This is a methodology that's been used for decades. And it is insulting when you hear people just cavalierly say that somehow we're manipulating numbers," Solis told CNN.

Meanwhile, BLS denied there was any manipulation of the data or anything out of the ordinary about the unemployment rate calculation.
"No political appointee is involved in the collecting, processing and analyzing of the data," said Thomas Nardone, the associate commissioner for employment and unemployment statistics.

Nardone said the Council of Economic Advisers doesn't get the numbers until Thursday afternoon, and that the Secretary of Labor herself doesn't see them until Friday morning.
In all honesty, any defense of the numbers given is the moral equivalent of a HS student who blew up a toilet with a cherry bomb claimed that it was just a really big turd and the commode just fell apart when it hit. Some stories are possible and some are plausible, but the story for the numbers is just plain asinine. It is dependent upon state and local governments having employed a huge number of people in the last month when all year we have been hearing about how tight their budgets are and how they have to keep laying people off. I hate to tell you, but there is now way in hell, in light of lessening incomes from the decrease in sales and property taxes that state and local hiring increased that much. This is a case of just denying the obvious. Someone lied.
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:15 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
DenverJayhawk's Avatar
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ View Post
In all honesty, any defense of the numbers given is the moral equivalent of a HS student who blew up a toilet with a cherry bomb claimed that it was just a really big turd and the commode just fell apart when it hit. Some stories are possible and some are plausible, but the story for the numbers is just plain asinine. It is dependent upon state and local governments having employed a huge number of people in the last month when all year we have been hearing about how tight their budgets are and how they have to keep laying people off. I hate to tell you, but there is now way in hell, in light of lessening incomes from the decrease in sales and property taxes that state and local hiring increased that much. This is a case of just denying the obvious. Someone lied.
Funny how The Right are putting politics ahead of good news for the country. It's sad really.
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:21 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
LcJ's Avatar
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
Funny how The Right are putting politics ahead of good news for the country. It's sad really.
Since when is a lie good news. When you build a building on sand, in never stands but crumbles under the weight of the lies.
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:23 PM
Cat Rack
MtnGoat's Avatar
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipemajor View Post
Myself included. I mean, we should vote for the guy who loves to fire people?

Yes. Reallocation of resources by market means is how actual wealth creation occurs. Political second guessing of markets by politicians not personally fiscally or legally directly liable for mistakes is how wealth is destroyed.
MtnGoat is offline Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:26 PM
Cat Rack
MtnGoat's Avatar
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
Funny how The Right are putting politics ahead of good news for the country. It's sad really.

Politics is what govt is. Doesn't make much sense to demand control over so many things be handed to the State, then to complain about politics. The demand for the State to control these things is an implicit demand to turn them from issues settled between private parties into ones settled by politicians for political reasons.
MtnGoat is offline Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:46 PM
sensitive artsy type
Treetop's Avatar
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,166 Posts
Jack Welch is a crank.

An interview by Anderson Cooper:
Quote:
COOPER: But what evidence --

WELCH: I have no evidence.

COOPER: You don't have any evidence.

WELCH: No.

COOPER: It's one thing to doubt the numbers and say --

WELCH: I used question marks last night.

COOPER: Well, you said these Chicago guys will do anything.

WELCH: A question mark might have been better. Last night I had a question mark.

COOPER: So you wish you would have --

WELCH: A question mark would have been better.

COOPER: So, you don't really stand by the notion --

WELCH: I stand by it. I stand by that these numbers have to be examined.

COOPER: But, you stand by that these Chicago guys will do anything, can't debate so change --

WELCH: I'm not changing my tweet.

COOPER: But are you --

WELCH: I'm not accusing anybody of anything.

COOPER: But you are. You are saying these Chicago guys will do anything.

… And as soon as Cooper presses Welch that his tweet clearly implies fraud, the former GE executive’s real agenda comes into focus.

WELCH: Well, you've seen they have been calling Romney a liar for the last two days. I mean, --

COOPER: But how would they cook the books? How would they cook the numbers, given the process?

WELCH: Look, I have no idea whether these books are cooked. I'm very clear about that. …

COOPER: But given that you say you have no facts, and you don't know, isn't it irresponsible to then say these Chicago -- you are a respected guy, to say these Chicago guys will do anything? You're implying --

WELCH: I'm saying you heard the president today; he's out there on 7.8. This number is too important to not to have a long discussion about how it's arrived at, what the assumptions are.
http://www.ethicsstupid.com/recent-p...on-121008.html
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Last edited by Treetop; Oct 10, 2012 at 07:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:50 PM
characters welcome!
Mark Wood's Avatar
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,263 Posts
Why do liberals always resort to name-calling? :confused;

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:07 PM
sensitive artsy type
Treetop's Avatar
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood View Post
Why do liberals always resort to name-calling? :confused;

mw
The descriptor fits Welch's baseless accusation. You think calling him a crank is worse than saying what he said about the administration without any evidence whatsoever?

-------

Def: a. an eccentric or odd person, esp someone who stubbornly maintains unusual views

origin: The sense of "an eccentric person,"
especially one who is irrationally fixated, is first recorded 1833, said to be from the crank of a barrel organ, which makes it play the same tune over and over, but more likely a back-formation from cranky "cross-tempered, irritable"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/crank?s=t

---------

I find it appropriate.

I also don't always resort to name calling, and many liberals do not, which kind of makes your observation a bit crankified.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Last edited by Treetop; Oct 10, 2012 at 09:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:41 PM
Registered User
Sherlock's Avatar
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Sep 2006
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop View Post
Jack Welch is a crank.

An interview by Anderson Cooper:


http://www.ethicsstupid.com/recent-p...on-121008.html
Yes, just like Welch, no one here has a single shread of evidence to back up their baseless accusation.
Sherlock is online now Find More Posts by Sherlock
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:44 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
LcJ's Avatar
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
Yes, just like Welch, no one here has a single shread of evidence to back up their baseless accusation.
So you accept the figure for the number of jobs created by state and local governments that only held up because of the stimulus and now when they should be decreasing, out the Ether the create new jobs? I think not.
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:48 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
Pipemajor's Avatar
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Aug 2007
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
Yes. Reallocation of resources by market means is how actual wealth creation occurs. Political second guessing of markets by politicians not personally fiscally or legally directly liable for mistakes is how wealth is destroyed.
Seems to me that Wall Street did a pretty good job at burning their own house down.

Speaking of housing, that sector is definitely improving.
Pipemajor is offline Find More Posts by Pipemajor
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:57 PM
sensitive artsy type
Treetop's Avatar
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,166 Posts
Welch Resigns From Fortune After Critical Coverage

Quote:

Former General Electric (GE) CEO Jack Welch has resigned as a contributor to Fortune magazine, apparently angry over critical coverage of his suggestion last week that the Obama Administration had manipulated the September employment report.

Fortune reported that Welch believes he will “get better ‘traction’ elsewhere,” and won’t be contributing to Fortune any longer.

On Friday, shortly after a surprisingly positive jobs report that saw the unemployment rate dip to 7.8% from 8.1%, Welch tweeted a message skeptical of the report’s veracity.

“Unbelievable jobs numbers..these Chicago guys will do anything..can’t debate so change numbers,” the tweet read.

Since then, Fortune’s managing editor has been sharply critical of the tweet both in remarks on television and in a print article that also criticized Welch’s 20 years at the helm of General Electric.

Welch couldn’t immediately be reached for comment.

Read more: http://www.foxbusiness.com/business-...#ixzz28xIficlD
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:02 PM
Registered User
Sherlock's Avatar
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Sep 2006
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ View Post
So you accept the figure for the number of jobs created by state and local governments that only held up because of the stimulus and now when they should be decreasing, out the Ether the create new jobs? I think not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
Yes, just like Welch, no one here has a single shread of evidence to back up their baseless accusation.


So lets see it. Where is your evidence? Your gut feeling is not going to cut it. Show us proof the the BLS manipulated the jobs report to benefit Obama.
Sherlock is online now Find More Posts by Sherlock
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:05 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
DenverJayhawk's Avatar
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post


So lets see it. Where is your evidence? Your gut feeling is not going to cut it. Show us proof the the BLS manipulated the jobs report to benefit Obama.
They can't. That's why cons have resorted to conspiracy theories. Sad to watch them put politics ahead of their country.
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:21 PM
sensitive artsy type
Treetop's Avatar
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,166 Posts
Macy's and Toys 'r' Us lying about holiday hiring projections?

Quote:
FORTUNE -- Ho ho ho. Recent announcements by Macy's (M) and Toys 'R Us that they'll add 125,000 more holiday jobs this year than last are, it turns out, just the tip of the iceberg. Altogether, U.S. retailers, including restaurants, have so far said they plan to hire 413,700 seasonal workers, according to Challenger, Gray & Christmas. Even merrier, the number of those temporary jobs that will turn permanent is expected to reach pre-recession levels, according to a new survey of over 1,000 hiring managers by hourly-job site Snagajob and research firm IPSOS Public Affairs.

"For the past few years, we've had to talk about 'incremental improvements' in holiday hiring," says Jason Hamilton, a Snagajob vice president. "But this year, we finally see strong indications that we're moving back toward the holiday hiring levels we were accustomed to before the recession."
http://management.fortune.cnn.com/20...iid=SF_F_River
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion The Republicanís Big Lies About Jobs (And Why Obama Must Repudiate Them) 62pilot Life, The Universe, and Politics 37 Mar 15, 2012 01:23 PM
Discussion Recent ap jobs philip frank Aerial Photography 1 Oct 05, 2011 10:59 AM
Discussion Already got a job from the newspaper story frogman1206 Aerial Photography 14 Jul 30, 2010 10:01 AM
Gallery Recent 2005 Fall Jobs dreslism Aerial Photography 17 Feb 12, 2006 02:46 AM
Alert Recent Photo Job Results Rob Schaffer Aerial Photography 8 Nov 17, 2004 09:59 AM