HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:32 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,591 Posts
Trader Rating: 63
Discussion
Post Office can't deliver-nobody home to sign.

I sold a Kit to someone for over $240...Shipped on the 3rd,arrived on the 5th,and there was no one at home to sign for it.I PM'd the buyer and notified him of the problem?,and haven't heard back.
Now it's the 10th,and I'm getting concerned.

The buyer is overseas,kit was shipped to the midwest,with all the protections,paid by Paypall.The money is in my PP account.A notice was left by USPS to come sign and pickup,or schedule a delivery date.

Should I consider the transaction completed?
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:44 AM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,636 Posts
Trader Rating: 175
Welp..I would..BUT...Paypal may not...hehe...I have been through this before...a little different circumstance....I guess its a done transaction when the Buyer has it in hand.....at least that was my episode...At Least yours in your case you KNOW its there and he'll get it.....

from my experience...The Transaction is not Complete till the Buyer has it in hand...

Billy
FlyBillyFly is offline Find More Posts by FlyBillyFly
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:48 AM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,792 Posts
Trader Rating: 231
USPS will return it to you if he doesn't collect it from the post office after "x" amount of time. He can pay you to ship it again when he returns.
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:23 AM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
3,101 Posts
Trader Rating: 83
The deal is not done so keep the funds in your account. If the kit is returned you will either need to ship again or refund. Did the buyer communicate that he would be out of town? Did you communicate that you were shipping with signature required? I think both of these questions will help determine if the buyer needs to pay for the 2nd shipping or lose shipping if a refund is given.
johnbyrne is offline Find More Posts by johnbyrne
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:26 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,054 Posts
Trader Rating: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemikiller View Post
USPS will return it to you if he doesn't collect it from the post office after "x" amount of time. ....
This. It's like, 10 days max I think; or as I've seen here, after 3 attempts at delivery. Perhaps contacting your local USPS - I'd think the branch you used - about your dilemma might prove beneficial. Perhaps there's some kind of 'exception hold' process they could initiate for the delivering branch?

(But in my experience re real help from that org., GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!)
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:09 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jun 2012
307 Posts
Trader Rating: 14
Quote:
USPS will return it to you if he doesn't collect it from the post office after "x" amount of time. He can pay you to ship it again when he returns.
I just had to deal with this for a package that was delivered to me, the post office is supposed to hold it for 30 days before returning to sender.
Nin3rsAllDay is offline Find More Posts by Nin3rsAllDay
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:47 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nin3rsAllDay View Post
I just had to deal with this for a package that was delivered to me, the post office is supposed to hold it for 30 days before returning to sender.
Straight scoop (from USPS HQ, Customer Service line):
If Express Mail, they hold 5 days;
If a C.O.D., 30 days;
ALL others, 15 days maximum before returning to sender.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:58 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jun 2012
307 Posts
Trader Rating: 14
well then they need to update their webpage because when I checked the tracking after the first delivery attempt it said they would hold for 30 days. I also remember being told 30 days by someone at the post office, but who knows if they actually know their own policies.
Nin3rsAllDay is offline Find More Posts by Nin3rsAllDay
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:03 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nin3rsAllDay View Post
"... but who knows if they actually know their own policies."
Me. They don't.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:14 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jan 2006
602 Posts
Trader Rating: 102
seems the buyer would make a effort to make sure he picks it up or arrange a delivery. I would never ship overseas myself, but being sent here to someone to ship there seems like a weird deal to do.
Beardiedrg is offline Find More Posts by Beardiedrg
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,591 Posts
I don't think it's going overseas-I believe the buyer's on a trip and bought it while it was available.....Either friend or family is supposed to accept and hold it.

Man-we can find new ways to screw things up,can't we?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:42 PM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,792 Posts
Trader Rating: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Me. They don't.
You got that right...

Mailed out 100 membership badges for the club a month ago, one ounce in a padded kraft envelope. Went to the PO, told me $.65 and they're good to go. Stamped, labelled, and gone, no problems.

Have another batch of twenty to send a couple weeks later, same envelopes, same everything. Every single one came back, demanding another $1.30 in postage.....

Please USPS, everyone get on the same page.....
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:18 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Feb 2010
384 Posts
Trader Rating: 111
Quote:
You got that right...

Mailed out 100 membership badges for the club a month ago, one ounce in a padded kraft envelope. Went to the PO, told me $.65 and they're good to go. Stamped, labelled, and gone, no problems.

Have another batch of twenty to send a couple weeks later, same envelopes, same everything. Every single one came back, demanding another $1.30 in postage.....

Please USPS, everyone get on the same page.....
You got lucky the first time. Padded envelopes are considered parcels, not envelopes or large envelopes.
SYMAWD is offline Find More Posts by SYMAWD
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:48 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,591 Posts
I just sent a PM asking for any indication he's aware of the problem.There's been no contact from him since the 3rd.,the day I told him I had shipped it.

I guess I'll just sit and wait......Nuh uh ! I did my best...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:22 PM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
3,101 Posts
Trader Rating: 83
Yea sorry to hear that. Bummer in many ways including you can't spend the bucks in paypal .. well unless you can absorb it should it get returned and you have to refund.

Oh well, at least this isn't a scam type situation and you knowthat you will come out ok in the end regardless. Still a bummer. Best of luck.
johnbyrne is offline Find More Posts by johnbyrne
Closed Thread