HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:04 AM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
303 Posts
Thanks for the review. Is that a micro or a mini connector on the car? Is there a recommended charger size? Would have been nice if a portable battery powered charger was included.
solo_clipper is offline Find More Posts by solo_clipper
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:37 AM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,333 Posts
It's a usb plug

The usb plus into car and then into a computer or any device able to use usb. I supposed some tablets now have usb as well.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:41 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
It's a usb plug

The usb plus into car and then into a computer or any device able to use usb. I supposed some tablets now have usb as well.
I am talking about the end that plugs into the car. On your unboxing video it looks like it is a mini. All my usb wallwart chargers are micro so I would need an adapter. Also my chargers are different sizes(amp output). My tablet charger would charge faster than my phone charger. How much can the car take?
solo_clipper is offline Find More Posts by solo_clipper
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:31 PM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
Received mine today, and have mixed feelings about it. I've had various micro cars over the years (most recently the Losi Micro T, which I really enjoy), and the ZenWheels really appealed to me because it was smaller and didn't require another controller.

So after a couple of battery charges (about 30 minutes of driving so far) mostly on clean hardwood and lino, here are my impressions:

The good...

Easy setup. It simply couldn't be any simpler to get paired up and start driving.
Super cute if that's your thing.
Lots of different control options. I tried them all, but am working solely with the standard touch for now.
Quite a few settings for customizing the controls.
The different lights are neat.
Battery life seems very good (15 mins or more).
Does well on carpet, and the wheels don't pick up much lint.

The not so good...

Can't trim it out. It will either drift left (trim 7) or right (trim 8). And there's enough slop in the wheels/steering that the trim required will vary.
Combined with the above, there is no way to tell when your thumb is at neutral (a symptom of all touch screens) so it is Very difficult to drive a straight line.
It isn't very fast. Not boring slow, but then not having very good steering at speed maybe it's a good thing it isn't any quicker.
The vaunted precision proportional controls are really only noticeable at driving Miss Daisy speeds.
The End Point Adjustment setting doesn't do anything. Set both the steering and throttle at 0% and nothing changed. Haven't delved too deep into the other settings to see if they have much effect.

Overall, for me I don't think it's worth the $100 shipped. It's a neat little slow speed tabletop driver, and if that's what you're looking for it's probably worth every penny. I was hoping for more of a room racer, but the wobbly steering and not being able to trim it straight kinda rule that out. I'll spend some more time with it, and will update this if I learn anything more.
Harv is offline Find More Posts by Harv
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:53 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,333 Posts
The Zenwheels really isn't meant for speed but more precision based maneuver on desktop.

Try re binding to see if steering is corrected

Or

Make sure there are no hard caught on axle and that no dirt is stuck to tires.

Also make sure tire is full seated in rim as they can come loose.

To the above posted yes it is a mini usb.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:32 PM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
Tried a rebind to an iPad 4, iPad Mini and my iPhone 4S again, and the trim settings and/or servos are simply too granular to keep it moving straight. 7 is too little, and 8 is too much on all three devices. No dirt, hair or other foreign bodies that I can see, and it's been this way from the initial unboxing.

From a UI standpoint, it takes too many taps and swipes to get to the settings page for a particular control scheme also. I found that if you go to the settings first there's a way to switch back and forth, but this isn't immediately apparent and it would probably be better to have a dedicated Settings button on each control scheme's page.

Would also like to be able to hold the iPad in landscape instead of portrait only, and on the Mini the steering wheel is too close to the edge to make full right turns easily. User positional controls would be ideal actually.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:46 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,333 Posts
I know it sucks to have to, have to do so, but maybe send it back for repairs or email for help.

I'm sure bud would be glad to help.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:03 AM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
Spent some time with the different control schemes, and am finding the tilt steering with manual throttle is a good choice for me. It's easier to find the centre point by holding the phone level, and it also seems easier to keep it moving (semi) straight.

The twin sticks currently operate the same as the standard controls, but have a lot more options available for future devices, with X and Y axis on both sticks, as well as full tilt controls. The controls for the lights are limited in this mode, with only the headlights and signal lights available...no flashers, horn or underbody buttons.

The full tilt controls are challenging for me, and would require a Lot of practice to have any sort of control. I'm guessing the Panic button is for future expansion, as I can't see that it does anything currently. I'm also not sure what the 4 second countdown that starts every time you enter this mode is for.

And regards the UI again, there is too much turning of the phone between the driving and the other screens. It would make much more sense to have all screens set to landscape from start to finish.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:54 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,333 Posts
plantraco

please make a ultra micro crawler like this

Homemade 1/48 RC micro crawler. Actually ... (2 min 27 sec)
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:20 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
plantraco

please make a ultra micro crawler like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnAp1PLYvh8
That's what they were going to work on using a couple of 1/87 TTTT trucks that I had made as a template, but my trucks got destroyed in one of my moves and I couldn't send them to him.... maybe they will still do something like this
Akura2 is online now Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:25 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,736 Posts
I took my plantraco to the movies last week, and I ran it in the theater aisle before the movie started with all the lights on and every one was asking questions and flipping out... every body loved it... this thing is SO cool
Akura2 is online now Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:27 AM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,333 Posts
Lol

That's awesome Akura
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:33 PM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
After about 4 hours of driving this little fellow around in the hopes it would grow on me, I simply don't see the value in it. For aimlessly driving around a room it's just about too slow, and for tabletop racing it really isn't precise enough (unless you slow waaaay down, and then we're back to too slow/boring) as the steering is just too sloppy.

As a parallel parking simulator (wheeee) it's perfect, the lights & sounds are a cool touch and battery life is phenomenal, but at this price point I expect for it to at least drive in a straight line hands off and maintain a mostly constant curve when turning.

Regards the lack of straight line driving, the trim setting required has slowly crept up to 15, and the drifting is apparently caused by steering...if I turn left at all, it will then drift right when the wheel is released, and conversely it will drift left if a right turn is made.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:48 PM
Joined Dec 2012
9 Posts
I ordered from Think Geek and returned the first one as I could not get the car to drive straight. The replacement is a little better, but definitely the weakness in this otherwise very nice car. If this can be fixed it would be so much more fun to drive. Not worth the money in my opinion unless they can get this fixed (probably keep mine as it was a gift). Wonder if it can be improved with a firmware update?
nyccar is offline Find More Posts by nyccar
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:40 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,333 Posts
Contact the vendors or manufacturer guys
Hopefully they'll send you new units.