Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by bzfrank, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:32 PM
4.2V of pure Kraut power
Germany
Joined Nov 2006
459 Posts
Discussion
Flag towing

Towing a flag is fun and can be done quite easily. It works exactly like towing a banner but requires less power and can be done by smaller planes (depending on the flag size of course). The following works for me:

Above images my biplane (loosely based on an Udet Flamingo) with 1.80m wingspan towing a 90x60cm flag. Also a 120x90cm one works fine with this setup.

This scheme describes how to attach the flag. It also works for a banner.

For takeoff place the flag flat on the ground, straighten the line and slowly increase speed. It will move to an upright position once in the air automatically.

Attach the line to the tow release, which should be located about 10-20% of the fuselage length behind the GC. Now for the important part: Be sure the line runs below the elevator! In the air the flag is always below the airplane, so the line will otherwise press on your elevator and that can ruin a perfectly good day. Also don't fly too fast, the flag will add quite some drag and will flutter at higher speeds, beside it does not look good.

Its possible to land with the flag attached but it is safer to release it before landing. If it stucks somehow in the ground it can damage your plane.

I strongly recommend to put a tow release in your airplane, so you can drop it off anytime. Also as a percaution do not fly over populated aeras or people. When the flag comes off it drop from the sky rather fast.

bzfrank is offline Find More Posts by bzfrank
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:43 PM
Belgium, Walloon Region, Namur
Joined Apr 2010
101 Posts
Thank you: I thought recently to tow a banner but didn't knew how to.....
Manudepron is offline Find More Posts by Manudepron
Last edited by Manudepron; Oct 11, 2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:42 AM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,519 Posts
very creative and looks fun!

thanks for sharing....
gabrielisrael is offline Find More Posts by gabrielisrael