HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:23 PM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandancer View Post
That's encouraging to know. I checked the dimensions on PFP's E-Flite P-51B Malcolm and they do look close? Crossing fingers!

Gary
Since I made the Malcolm hood version that is sold by PFP, It might be possible to use that canopy on the FMS B. But because the FMS canopy is the wrong shape from front to back, you will have to use the WHOLE canopy, not just the center slider. The Eflie malcolm is also a compromise between "scale shape" and what will fit the existing model. Some flexing and fitting will be required, but it might look "OK".
Tom Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Tom Hunt
Last edited by Tom Hunt; Feb 13, 2013 at 05:44 PM. Reason: more analysis
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:57 PM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,327 Posts
comparison

Here are the shots comparing the FMS P-51D to B mold and a "shot" off the mold I sent Keith at PFP for the Eflite P-51b Malcolm conversion.

Though the canopies are about the same size (they should NOT be considering the size differences between the models). The FMS bash mold is very close to exact scale for a 55+" span Mustang.

The eflite canopy was a morph of that database to fit the Eflite. The original eflite canopy was a bit out of scale (too tall) and has the wrong shape (at the bullet proof windshield. The cross section of a FS Mustang is rather round (truely circular) at the top. The Eflite was rather flattened.
Tom Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Tom Hunt
Last edited by Tom Hunt; Feb 13, 2013 at 07:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:45 PM
Jimmy
United States, NJ, Highland Lakes
Joined Oct 2008
754 Posts
Hi all, here a pic a my "B" next to my kysho P-40 for size.
BTW when you test the watts of an motor make sure your battt is charged. 750 watts sounds alot better
Jimmy1159 is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy1159
Last edited by Jimmy1159; Feb 13, 2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:15 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,243 Posts
Very nice Jimmy. What do you think of the compression struts?
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:40 PM
Jimmy
United States, NJ, Highland Lakes
Joined Oct 2008
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ View Post
Very nice Jimmy. What do you think of the compression struts?
They seem really soild. i think if you come in on the mains and let the tail sit down. the springs will help smooth out a bouncy landing.
Jimmy1159 is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy1159
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:43 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
Joined Nov 2008
3,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1159 View Post
They seem really soild. i think if you come in on the mains and let the tail sit down. the springs will help smooth out a bouncy landing.
Sounds good, i was wondering if they exhibited any rotational play. Honestly I expect a little. Not a big deal.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:16 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hunt View Post
FMS Zero to Rufe Float plane
Move this one to the front of the line please. I don't even have the zero but am looking forward to seeing your work.

BTW What did you do to the 109F? (minor bash) Re-do the vert stab and rudder?

Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:33 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,726 Posts
Quote:
Since I made the Malcolm hood version that is sold by PFP, It might be possible to use that canopy on the FMS B. But because the FMS canopy is the wrong shape from front to back, you will have to use the WHOLE canopy, not just the center slider. The Eflie malcolm is also a compromise between "scale shape" and what will fit the existing model. Some flexing and fitting will be required, but it might look "OK".
Quote:
Here are the shots comparing the FMS P-51D to B mold and a "shot" off the mold I sent Keith at PFP for the Eflite P-51b Malcolm conversion.

Though the canopies are about the same size (they should NOT be considering the size differences between the models). The FMS bash mold is very close to exact scale for a 55+" span Mustang.

The eflite canopy was a morph of that database to fit the Eflite. The original eflite canopy was a bit out of scale (too tall) and has the wrong shape (at the bullet proof windshield. The cross section of a FS Mustang is rather round (truely circular) at the top. The Eflite was rather flattened.
Thanks Tom, you know I always appreciate your input!

The E-flite is only 3/4" longer, and I assume the width is 4" (Keith lists it as 4" Tall?) and that's what the "B"s width is. My only concern is the height, the E-flite is 13/16" higher. ~See thumb~

I ordered a couple this morning because I plan to make it a slider, so if I make a booboo I'll have a backup. I'll post the initial fitting when they get here.

Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:27 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Aug 2011
158 Posts
My DD arrive yesterday this is one nice looking bird but had a small dent with cracks on inner wing where it bots on to fuse other than that well done FMS and Philip.

chops.
chops3 is offline Find More Posts by chops3
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:28 PM
Throttle Bender
Joined Jun 2008
1,235 Posts
Got Olive Drab touch up paint mixed at the hardware store.
merlinfan is offline Find More Posts by merlinfan
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:31 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Someone filmed my DD flight today with a quadcopter and GoPro. I got some nice fly by's I think! I'll post as soon as he sends it to me...
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:23 PM
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Oct 2003
1,103 Posts
Any word on when BH will have these?
P-51 flyby is online now Find More Posts by P-51 flyby
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:13 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
Joined Nov 2008
3,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-51 flyby View Post
Any word on when BH will have these?
They don't know themselves according to correspondence I received from Facebook.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:51 PM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
1,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ View Post
They don't know themselves according to correspondence I received from Facebook.
You have to remember Banana Hobbies and FMS don't have "any" control over deliveries.
Once FMS have packed the container it is out of their hands. It then comes down to the freight company to pickit up and deliver it to the docks! Then it is up to the dockworkers to put it on a ship. Which may not even be in port yet.
Then once it leaves the port it can come down to weather and tides to get It to its final port. And then again the ship might have more ports to go to before the FMS containers port. Where the ship has to be unloaded and reloaded before it can move on to it's next port!
Then once it (container) has reached its final port. It has to be unloaded on taken to customs. Which who nows how long that could take, not Banana Hobbies that is for sure!!
Then once it finally leaves customs it is up to the transport company to deliver it to BH.
So how much control does BH have over all of this? About 5% if not less.
So no wonder they can't tell you!!

LURCH
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:02 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101 View Post
You have to remember Banana Hobbies and FMS don't have "any" control over deliveries.
Once FMS have packed the container it is out of their hands. It then comes down to the freight company to pickit up and deliver it to the docks! Then it is up to the dockworkers to put it on a ship. Which may not even be in port yet.
Then once it leaves the port it can come down to weather and tides to get It to its final port. And then again the ship might have more ports to go to before the FMS containers port. Where the ship has to be unloaded and reloaded before it can move on to it's next port!
Then once it (container) has reached its final port. It has to be unloaded on taken to customs. Which who nows how long that could take, not Banana Hobbies that is for sure!!
Then once it finally leaves customs it is up to the transport company to deliver it to BH.
So how much control does BH have over all of this? About 5% if not less.
So no wonder they can't tell you!!

LURCH
If history dictates itself, then they should have some in a couple of months!

Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member