Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:09 PM
You haz hurricane?
United States, VA, Portsmouth
Joined Jun 2012
1,235 Posts
That is a nice looking bird! Could you give us a hint and let us know what country the plane represents?

Coot
Coot83 is offline Find More Posts by Coot83
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:15 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
The only other option it could be is the Wildcat or P-51B and those are referred to as "Turtle Decks". Turtle decks are more hump like than Razorback but Razorback was specific to the P-47 due to the shapes it made at the top of the spine. However, I have been corrected before, and back then some pilots referred to all planes with that structure as being a "Razorback", even though it was incorrect as to the purpose of that term. "Fastback" would of been more appropriate but that term is 24 or so years in the future.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:22 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,314 Posts
I predicted a P-51B and I am sticking to it. Malcolm hood too.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:24 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Sep 2011
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post
I'm game for a Tempest
That would be my guess. Since FMS already has an 800mm version. They must have been working on a 1400mm version. No other manufacturer is making one in that size. Both e-Flite and Windrider make a Hurricane close to that size.

By the way... FMS? If you make a 1400mm Tempest/Typhoon I will buy it! I love that airframe! But if it ends up being a Hurricane I am sure it will be the best one on the market. And I will most likely purchase that one too.

In my "there is always something new to learn" category. The engine in the Hawker Typhoon had a Napier Sabre H-24-cylinder that was started with an explosive charge! Like a shotgun cartridge. There were 5 shots loaded in the magazine. NOW that IS interesting! Don't you think?

There is a very well made documentary celebrating this plane. And it's role during WWII. See it here:
New Hawker Typhoon Documentary Film (30 min 48 sec)

It is the only place on the web that I have found that explains the starting procedure for this plane! Excellent historical footage too! The section talking about the motor is Fascinating!
karltrek is offline Find More Posts by karltrek
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:31 PM
Make the best of all you have
Essen/Germany
Joined Dec 2006
569 Posts

Rolf
beetyii is offline Find More Posts by beetyii
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:32 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
I'm going to add another pleading comment for a P-47 Razorback...
FMS's record for picking models is pretty good...so I have faith that this next model will be a good one...
...but if it's not a P-47 Razorack this time, I hope they know that many of us would be very excited to buy one.

I suspect the development costs wouldn't be too high since they can likely modify the existing molds...right?
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:35 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karltrek View Post

In my "there is always something new to learn" category. The engine in the Hawker Typhoon had a Napier Sabre H-24-cylinder that was started with an explosive charge! Like a shotgun cartridge. There were 5 shots loaded in the magazine. NOW that IS interesting! Don't you think?
I know there were a few aircraft that used that method. I'd have to look around but I recall seeing a video showing the starting procedure and the "cartridge" was loaded in by the crew chief or something like that. Pretty cool things we learn when researching scale aircraft!
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:37 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
I'm going to add another pleading comment for a P-47 Razorback...
FMS's record for picking models is pretty good...so I have faith that this next model will be a good one...
...but if it's not a P-47 Razorack this time, I hope they know that many of us would be very excited to buy one.

I suspect the development costs wouldn't be too high since they can likely modify the existing molds...right?
I figure that a Razorback would have to be a "From Scratch" kind of deal. Molds can be retooled to take away a lot easier than adding to. Plus with the new way of doing things like bolt on tail sections and stronger wing mounting, it will probably be in their best interest to start from scratch to provide the quality we are currently getting with their recent products.

Anyway, a Razorback is long over due. We have been screaming for one since Horizon put the kibosh on the e-flite one. I can only hope for this as I would love to have one in my hangar.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:47 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
A fresh Razorback P-47 would be great!
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:49 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
fresh would be good, but a V7 would be better
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:51 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,084 Posts
Now you've shaken my confidence Add to that, the Art Tech Hurricane, the WR Hurricane, the Eflight Hurricane and the toy sized Top RC Hurricane - my all time favorite old plane is starting to get some exposure....
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:51 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentP View Post
fresh would be good, but a V7 would be better
Why a V7? Who wants to go through 6 more versions? Just give me one with all the updates now and call it a V1. That way they can say they got it right the first time.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:52 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Right on OP!
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:58 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
I figure that a Razorback would have to be a "From Scratch" kind of deal. Molds can be retooled to take away a lot easier than adding to. Plus with the new way of doing things like bolt on tail sections and stronger wing mounting, it will probably be in their best interest to start from scratch to provide the quality we are currently getting with their recent products.

Anyway, a Razorback is long over due. We have been screaming for one since Horizon put the kibosh on the e-flite one. I can only hope for this as I would love to have one in my hangar.
Good points about the molds. I haven't seen an FMS P-47 up close but IIRC it has been around a while so I can imagine that it's not on par with their newest releases.

And you're right on about the end of the wonderful Eflite P-47 marking a sad point in history. The reissue of the Sea Fury (also a great model) gave some of us hope but it looks like they chose not to compete with their own Parkzone P-47 and held off on the reissue.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:03 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
I don't understand Horizon sometimes. They make decent enough airplanes but sometimes the decisions they make seem like the most illogical ones. Anyway, FMS seems to have our back. They gave us the FW-190 we have been clamoring for since Parkzones offering and hopefully the word Razorback has not fallen on deaf ears.

Orion