SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:32 AM
Santa Cruz, CA
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Sep 2011
1,409 Posts
Wow! Beautiful! Will buy!

And yeah I was one of those who bitched about another P-51! Taking it back now.
karltrek is offline Find More Posts by karltrek
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:06 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ View Post
cool Todd! Congrats. ETA for the rest of us?
I don't have a release date but I assume it will have to be after the CNY ends March 3rd. So I would think sometime in March distributors will have them.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:18 AM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,144 Posts
Gorgeous plane. Malcolm hood you could steal from an FMS 1400mm Spitfire

KM
kusunokimasahige is offline Find More Posts by kusunokimasahige
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:34 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
4,076 Posts
Great pics Aros. I do wonder about the long term durability of the battery tray (and how I will get my sound unit in there because of it!), but overall it looks a stunner - can't wait!
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Feb 01, 2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:06 AM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
4,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kusunokimasahige View Post
Gorgeous plane. Malcolm hood you could steal from an FMS 1400mm Spitfire

KM
OMG Can't believe I didn't think of that. I have one I can take it from too.

Steve
dambit is online now Find More Posts by dambit
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:14 AM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,628 Posts
Todd shameless plug or not the box looks fantastic and does the plane justice. I hope this means they plan to have this plane and others on hobby shop shelves.

Plane looks great too and I'm sure the maiden will be uneventful as we are all familiar with the great flight characteristics of the FMS P-51's.

Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:28 AM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandancer View Post
I don't think the rendering of 'ole Dallas Darling gets any better?

Gary

Ya know what, I agree!
With a bit of weathering the little one would look really close.
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:05 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
4,076 Posts
Actually, one QQ on Aros' excellent photo log...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Wing Connectors

FMS did a nice job of having the universal connectors tucked away and plugged in. The connectors definitely make plugging in everything a breeze, especially when they were all pre-connected at the factory. All I had to do was plug the main connectors into their ports in my receiver to test and everything was good to go!

Instructions

FMS has come a long ways with their instructions. Far more detailed then ever before, they not only go into detail about all the connections and vital steps, they compliment their instructions with diagrams for dopes like me that have to have their hand held every step of the way.

...Based on the above, am I understanding it right that FMS use one servo for each of the gear doors? I know servos are cheap as chips nowadays, but surely it would have been simpler to have one servo activating these via a y-shaped linkage - is this because it would prevent the wing being broken down into halves for storage?
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:20 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
Great pics Aros. I do wonder about the long term durability of the battery tray (and how I will get my sound unit in there because of it!), but overall it looks a stunner - can't wait!
What I haven't figured out yet is how the tray keeps from shifting aft in flight. There must be a lock mechanism I haven't noticed yet...I'll keep you posted.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:36 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Thanks for all the pics Aros.
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:03 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Hey guys, I just got back from the maiden. As you can probably guess, it went great!

I've been so used to flying my 1700's lately I almost forgot the difference between the 1400 and 1700 which is everything related to less weight versus more weight, etc. Winds were about 5-10mph...After checking CG (it was a smidgen tail heavy but nothing worth messing with), control throws, she was ready to go.

The takeoff run was smooth and predictable. Once in the air she was smooth with dead center tracking. Gear retracted perfectly. Rolls were axial and crisp on high rates. She didn't need much trim. A couple clicks of right and that was it. Full power is crisp. Very scale low passes at WOT. Performs all the usuals (Barrel rolls, Immelmans, Cubans, etc...) with authority. I flew with a 4S 3300 for about 6 minutes not wanting to push too much on the maiden.

I set up for final, hit the flaps (no ballooning) and brought her down to a perfect 2-point landing (on the bumping grass no less!) to the satisfaction of everyone watching. All I did was keep a little power on and guided the nose accordingly.

There is absolutely no bad habits, no bad tendencies. She tracks superbly with plenty of power to perform any of the usual aerobatics. Low, WOT passes are a blast. 75-80mph easy on a fresh charge. Motor and prop wash makes a nice sound at WOT as well.

For my 4S 3300, I had to push the battery forward so the aft end was sitting just a bit off the battery tray. I had to move one of the straps towards the front so it could be secured in this location. The sliding battery tray is sweet. It does lock in place with a firm push all the way in. You will hear the click sound and it's secure for flight. To pull it out, simply pull on the tray using a little bit of force. Not much needed. I am already in love with that feature. Prepare to have your battery all the way to the firewall to be within CG parameters.

I'm trying to think of the negatives. It's honestly hard to do. The retracts, so far, work flawlessly. They managed my club's less-than well manicured grass field without any issues. The mold is excellent, clean and smooth. The flaps need to deflect further than they do out of the box. I'll have to play around with the servo arms to get more throw out of them for max deflection. (Right now full flap deflection is about 40 degrees or so, which is normally just under mid-flap range for me).

The decal sheet leaves a bit to be desired. The ID letters didn't always match the diagram in the manual and the decals are very hard to peel off the paper. They need to also go with vinyl decals without that filmy background which looks cheesy on the model.

Hey FMS, give Callie a call!

But of course, those are tiny little cosmetic details. The important thing is she performs as good as she looks. I will be proud to have her as part of my hangar and I'm sure you will too!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:16 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,938 Posts
Just subscribed to the thread and have read all of it. The "B" model has always been my favorite P-51 and FMS has really hit a homer with this Mustang. This'll be an exciting airplane to look forward to.
ce
capteasy is online now Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:22 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,982 Posts
Quote:
For my 4S 3300, I had to push the battery forward so the aft end was sitting just a bit off the battery tray.
Are they still putting a ~110g chunk of steel rod in the nose, like on the V6 P-51Ds?

Do you know how many kV the stock motor is?

thanks!
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:29 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
I didn't notice any weight in the nose Kurt...I'll have to check. As for KV, it's 540.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:42 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,982 Posts
Quote:
I didn't notice any weight in the nose Kurt...I'll have to check. As for KV, it's 540.
This is what was buried in the V6:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=15984

If they're still putting one in, the new battery tray might be easy to mount the battery further forward to balance her out with the weight removed and have a nice weight reduction.