SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:01 PM
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jun 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztidbowler View Post
The New V7.5 is the same way
About time, eh? Really glad FMS is improving and getting things right. I'm hoping their new line of retracts include some drop in replacements for my 1400 Corsair.
I need to make room in my hangar for some of these new planes. They make my older foamies look like kiddie toys. I'm really liking the DD, it looks awesome IMO! I'm about 99.9% sure it's my next plane.
Norm62 is offline Find More Posts by Norm62
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:14 PM
quit typing and go fly
North Riverside, IL
Joined Sep 2006
100 Posts
..... Cant help to respond.....

..... Cant help to respond.....

MAJ. DON S. GENTILE
April 1944, AAF's leading ace with 27.8* enemy planes destroyed in the air and on the ground.

"One man Air Force."
- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower upon presenting the Distinguished Flying Cross to Capt. Don S. Gentile in April 1942
.......great color scheme selection FMS !
jricchio is online now Find More Posts by jricchio
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:40 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm62 View Post
Check out the rake on the LG and the position of the wheel in relation to the wing's LE. Nice! The only P51 I've had constantly nosed over on the grass ( even very nice short grass). That looks promising. I'm drooling. Hope the price is right!
This is what the rake on the v7.5 looks like.

Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:48 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
I might add that Don admitted that his depth perception was off because he not circled the deck long enough to regain it. A quote from One Thousand Destroyed page 275.(Blakeslee) He had a rule, the law of Medes and Persians which altereth not: he who pranged a kite is automatically expelled from the group. I saw him! blazed Blakeslee. " I was standing there. He was buzzing the field. I've warned him. I don't give a damn if he's got 90 planes destroyed-- I'm kicking him out of the group" Correspondent A.I. Goldberg of the AP was among those listening to the tirade. America's Ace of Aces being kicked out of his outfit as a result of a sensational smash up? Man eats dog!
Blakeslee whirled upon Goldberg with such heat that I (Grover Hall)imagined I could see Goldberg's red fat dissolving under its rays.
"No Godd____, you can't quote me on anything! And if I have to be careful what I say on my own d-mn base I'll have a place roped off for you correspondents! You people have just ruined a good man?"
Too bad Don Blakeslee didn't think so.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:08 PM
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jun 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandancer View Post
This is what the rake on the v7.5 looks like.

Gary
Have you noticed a big difference in the ground handling with the change Gary? Also, it's probably just an illusion, but looking at the wheel, does the rake look even greater than that on the 2nd photo of the DD in Aros' pics? Guessing it's actually the same.

Norm
Norm62 is offline Find More Posts by Norm62
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:24 PM
quit typing and go fly
North Riverside, IL
Joined Sep 2006
100 Posts
BLAKESLEE SPEAKS
Excerpts from talks with Col. Don Blakeslee at the 4th FG reunion in Knoxville, TN
June 17-21, 1999
About the Don Gentile affair

..."It's like that thing with Don Gentile. I've been accused of ruining his chances to be the top ace because I kicked him out of the Group. Well, it was SOP that no one would buzz up the field or do victory rolls because of the possibility of battle damage. Gentile knew that but did it anyway. People say that I knew it was Gentile when it happened. That's not true. I was over by my plane when I saw this plane coming in low. He bounced and hit the ground directly in front of the photographers who were there to film the buzz just missing them and the Operations Hut, breaking the back of the plane. They say that I said 'Gentile will never fly for me again' right at that point. I had no idea who it was. What I actually said was 'that pilot will never fly for me again'. I only found out it was Gentile later."
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:30 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,498 Posts
Interesting that Grover Hall remembered and wrote otherwise. He was the assigned correspondent for the 4th.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:35 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm62 View Post
Have you noticed a big difference in the ground handling with the change Gary? Also, it's probably just an illusion, but looking at the wheel, does the rake look even greater than that on the 2nd photo of the DD in Aros' pics? Guessing it's actually the same.

Norm
I just got the BBD last Friday. That pic is from my "FMS 1400 BBD P-51 V7.5: The Un-Boxing!", but you're right, the rake is the same.

Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:40 PM
quit typing and go fly
North Riverside, IL
Joined Sep 2006
100 Posts
Actual words from the horses mouth of Col. Don Blakeslee at the 4th FG reunion in Knoxville, TN.

.......Maj Gentile was a ace. Funny how that overshadows the little bit of dirt people choose to dig up.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:01 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,498 Posts
I am a huge fan of the 4th fighter group. That being said I am also a historian and what happened was history. If Don said something different in 1999 it might have been to cover up an embarrassing chapter. My gripe is the only 4th plane ever represented to the general public is anything flown by Don Gentile or not as in FMS version 2 Shangra La war bonds plane. What about Hofer, Beeson, Blakeslee Hively Mckennon, and Goodson etc.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:08 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,321 Posts
Some action photos... (More to come)...
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:26 PM
quit typing and go fly
North Riverside, IL
Joined Sep 2006
100 Posts
"Shangri-La's" paint scheme is a eye catcher, just like Meyer's "Petie" and Preddy's "Cripes a Mighty". They are a guaranteed sellers. I'm I history buff as well. You don't see too many paint schemes such as Chuck Yeager's "Glamorous Glen III" or a accurate Boyington F4U "883". That's up to hobbyist to repaint and fulfill their desire. But it does no good to discredit a WWII legend to support your dislike of what paint scheme the manufacturer chose.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:27 PM
modify...modify...modify
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Mar 2012
1,208 Posts
I wish it would be available unpainted. I would make it into "Ding Hao!"
borntoolate is online now Find More Posts by borntoolate
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3 B-25's operational!
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:32 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by borntoolate View Post
I wish it would be available unpainted. I would make it into "Ding Hao!"
Don't undersell yourself. You might be surprised what some rattle cans, patience, blue painter's trim tape and Callie's Graphics can do!
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:40 PM
modify...modify...modify
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Mar 2012
1,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Don't undersell yourself. You might be surprised what some rattle cans, patience, blue painter's trim tape and Callie's Graphics can do!
I understand. I was just being lazy! I just nearly completed a FMS B-25 conversion to a "B" version. Would have been easier if it was in white or light gray.

An airbrush and the flat latex from Home Depot goes a long way to help on a new livery. And Callie was great too!
borntoolate is online now Find More Posts by borntoolate
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3 B-25's operational!