HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:19 PM
United States, NC, Cornelius
Joined Jul 2012
190 Posts
Question
Buying advice

Hi all, I will like to get into DLG/HLG, In the local stores I have this 2 options:

-Fireworks 4.2 from PCM:
http://www.pcm.at/english/fw4/index.html

and

-Stratair Ultegra F3K:
http://www.stratair.com/Produktdetail.aspx?ArtId=691

Both with disser wings and for almost the same price.

My question is, for a begginer that needs some more durability which one will you recommend?

TIA,
/fkd
funkz is offline Find More Posts by funkz
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:34 AM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,621 Posts
Neither would be a good choice for a beginner.
Im assuming you fly RC but you are new to DLG flying.

Both models are moulded or better known as mouldies.
Basically with DLG we have two types of wing contruction. One being a foam core vacuum bagged wing and the other being a moulded wing which is usually hollow in nature.

A foam core wing is slightly less accurate because the core determines the accuracy with the outer skin being formed around the foam. A mouldie`s exterior mirrors the mould so in that aspect each and every wing is close to identical. Mouldies are truer to the form but also harder to repair [remember the hollow bit]

Having said that. The Fireworks 4 is a very nice glider, slightly outdated but still competitive in the right hands.

The two you are inquiring about are very comparable although the F 4 is known to have very nice handling characteristics
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:51 AM
Joined Jul 2012
190 Posts
Hi DLGjunkyard!

You are correct, I'm just wanting to buy something that doesn't need to be competitive but at the same time will allow me to learn the most.

When I see what is "below", say 1m span, prices are sort of similar so why not invest a bit more and get a better model.

Unfortunately at both of the stores I have near the other 2 options will be this ones:

-Fireworks Mini-Q:
http://www.pcm.at/english/Mini-HLG/index.html

and

-Fling DL
http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1070.html

I guess then I should get the Fling?

Thanks again for any light on the matter.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:27 AM
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkz View Post
Hi DLGjunkyard!

You are correct, I'm just wanting to buy something that doesn't need to be competitive but at the same time will allow me to learn the most.

When I see what is "below", say 1m span, prices are sort of similar so why not invest a bit more and get a better model.

Unfortunately at both of the stores I have near the other 2 options will be this ones:

-Fireworks Mini-Q:
http://www.pcm.at/english/Mini-HLG/index.html

and

-Fling DL
http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1070.html

I guess then I should get the Fling?

Thanks again for any light on the matter.
Caution

The DLG fling is the worse choice you could make. Seriously, Its a wreck. Been know to fold on the first launch

I wouldnt bother with the smaller DLG `s either , stick with 1.5m because the performance is much better.

There are a good number of very nice gliders [foam core bagged wings] available in the 3-400 dollar range.
Topsky super is around 360 for a ARF
Predator two is another

Its also not a bad idea to watch the classifieds in this website for a used,ready to fly glider but be prepared to act fast, they sell very fast.

If you state your location guys might even offer to sell you one because a lot of guys dont like to ship but often have a few gliders in their hangar.

Im sure through the day you will get more suggestions as well.

To be honest, the question of which glider is best for a newbie has been worn out and many dont bother to retype so often.

Hit the search button , keywords; which DLG for newbie . any variation of that topic will net a few dozen threads
-
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:46 AM
Joined Jul 2012
190 Posts
DLGjunkyard,

I was not asking what is best for a newbee.. sorry, but don't turn my words around. I have posted 2 models in the 1.5m range that are nearby simply because I don't want to wait for the mail and pay import taxes.

I mentioned the other 2 available models (that where discarded since start) cause of your suggestion of not buying 'mouldies', that I appreciate.

Thanks.
Last edited by funkz; Oct 10, 2012 at 05:05 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:34 AM
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkz View Post
DLGjunkyard,

I was not asking what is best for a newbee.. sorry, but don't turn my words around. I have posted 2 models in the 1.5m range that are nearby simply because I don't want to wait for the mail and pay import taxes.

I mentioned the other 2 available models (that where discarded since start) cause of your suggestion of not buying 'mouldies', that I appreciate.

Thanks.
Fair enough . I just assumed when you said you were getting into DLg`s that you were new to them. The durability comment also suggests that. I also dont have a clue where you are in the world so not likely to know what would require importing.

From what I can tell Im more willing to put down text than you.

Hope it works out for you.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:49 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,572 Posts
Fireworks is not a bad model at all. They fly quite nicely. The 4.2 is a clean model and can be quite a good contest performer in the right pilot's hands. I have seen and flown the Ultegra as well, as it was brought into the US by an importer. That airplane is seriously fragile and doesn't perform as well as many.

There are lots of good DLGs out there, and a very few that are exceptionally good for contest fliers.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined Jul 2012
190 Posts
Thanks DLGjunkyard and tom43004
I just came back from the shop and unfortunately they have only the mini fireworks, ultegra was sold out. Now im back at the hyperflight UK site, they have told me that certainly the will remove the tax (VAT) since Switzerland is not part of the EU. This means now my mind is between either i take the mini-fireworks or wait for bank transfers, shipping and import taxes to get a mini-ELF. So to not confuse anyone anymore I will proceed on searching the forums for both models and decide silently Thanks all again!
Closed Thread