HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2003, 05:45 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Anyone have / use a high quality digital camcorder?

I guess these questions are for the more "professional" type videographers out there. I'm looking for a good quality (mostly picture quality) type camcorder. I have 2 Sony digital camcorders (TRV330 Digital 8 & TRV22 MiniDV) and I'm happy with them only the video quality of these types is not that great, especially when transferring to dvd. Grainy and just an all around poor picture quality when viewed on a larger tv. Are the more expensive cams like the Sony DCR-VX2000 worth the price tag? Are they the quality I think I'm looking for?

What about the future cams? With HD gaining popularity and it's quality is better than dvd will there be a HD type quality cam? I'd hate to spend $2k or more only to see a new generation out in the near future. My motivation is to have good quality video of my young kids, after all they're growing fast and I want to get the best I can afford...
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
Old Dec 02, 2003, 07:53 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
"What you can afford" is ambiguous. If you are a nut about wanting the best (And will actually exploit it's features) then something like the Canon XL1 is "The best". With the proper processing of the image it is nearly indistinguishable from 35mm film.

This is the kind of camera that would be recommended for most independant or student films. If you are serious enough to be editing your family films on Final cut pro, then this might be the way to go.

For most people, it's kind of extreme though.

HiDef is on it's way in too, so whatever you buy, you will be able to buy better in a couple of years.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Dec 03, 2003, 12:27 AM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
I'm saving for a Canon GL2 (or GL3 if they come out soon enough). Many say that the picture quality actually surpasses the XL-1S, although the XL-1S has detachable lenses. If you buy before Dec. 30th (I think) you get a $250.00 refund. You can find the GL2 for about $2100 online, after the refund it only will cost about $1850. Has a nice 20X zoom too.

If you want film quality at 24P you can get the Panasonic DVX100, but it will be about $800- $1000 more. And you'll have to have a machine and software that is able to edit 24P like the Mac and Final Cut Pro. The DVX 100 is also almost fully manually operated and has a short zoom.

If you are looking for quality you'll definitely have to look at 3 chippers.

Here's a picture of the XL-1S and GL2 side by side ( not scale). You should also consider the size/weight of these cameras and how/what type of shooting you'll be doing with them. The XL-1S, although not huge, is much more cumbersome than the GL2 when you are filming different things (hiking, in car, action shots, etc...)

-- Acer
Acer is online now Find More Posts by Acer
Old Dec 03, 2003, 07:24 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts

$2379 from inoax.com (no shipping).

I just replaced my TRV20, that I have been extremely happy with, with the new PC330..

I want compact and feature rich. This new one has a 3Mp sensor, and uses 2Mp for video (compared to 1-1.3 for most "handycams") - plus I get true 3Mp photos. Plus, I saved $500 ordering online from Inoax - it's "special order" from all the local electronics stores..

..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Dec 03, 2003, 10:23 AM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
You may be able to improve your current results without going to a 3-chip camera... I've used GL-2 and XL1s both for local TV commercial production; we sometimes mix in scenes shot with an Elura... yes, there is a definite difference, but your posting leads me to wonder whether you are getting all that you can from what you've got.
lymon is offline Find More Posts by lymon
Old Dec 03, 2003, 10:41 AM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
I bought the TRV-22 earlier this year. It is definitely a fine camera for the price, but it doesn't look too good on larger screens and it has alot of stair-stepping in the picture. Also low light shooting suffers (lots of grain). After using it for a while, I brought it back because of the poor picture quality on larger screens. My dad had an old Sony Hi-8 that made much better videos, so I used that instead (until it broke)

-- Acer
Acer is online now Find More Posts by Acer