Closed Thread
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heymak View Post
Was Vietnam the only reason to serve.
Heck yes !.

Vietnam was the last war with any good music to go with it.....The Doors, CSNY, CCR, Country Joe, Buffalo Springfield....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...he_Vietnam_War
Usta Bee is online now Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:17 PM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Jonas View Post
What? That makes zero sense. We are about the same age, yet I did over 20 years. You CHOSE not to enlist. You a coward as well?
Bump.
Tim Jonas is offline Find More Posts by Tim Jonas
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:19 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee View Post
Heck yes !.

Vietnam was the last war with any good music to go with it.....The Doors, CSNY, CCR, Country Joe, Buffalo Springfield....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...he_Vietnam_War
Geeeee.... Two of those bands are headed up by Stephen Stills... I'm a fan...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:36 PM
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Wings View Post
My son went to Iraq with the 3rd Army.

Both my parents served as well as both grand fathers.
But you didn't. Does that make you a coward?
logan5 is offline Find More Posts by logan5
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:08 PM
Joined Jun 2010
288 Posts
It's culture thing. Around here most male children join the military at 18. Do their 20 years and retire to odd jobs. In the past these odd jobs for a very high % was running moonshine. Then it switched to pot and from that to meth. The land is so poor very little can be raised for profit. At one time Tomatoes were grown in the river area. Now that cannot compete with commercial farms. This is one ,if not the poorest area in the US for white folk.

The only future is to move but some resist. See the Movie" Winters Bone" . Thats the way is was and is and it will never change unless more like me move in.

My last relatives fought in the Civil War. Some for the North,some for the South. Zero hate or strife for the situation. I every heard about.. One moves on if they are smart. As a small child I knew a lot of old folks who were there and stories that should not be told to children, buy maybe they should heard this. It shaped my views.

Myself I took the standard College deferment during Korea. Then I enlisted to get the GI Bill. Paid off for me and the Government..In a cannon fodder war don't kill of the best. The future depends on them.

I have a very low opinion of LBJ and the Viet Nam war. If I had kids of draft age I would have left the country if I shall no way to avoid it. That war was the peak of the American Empire. We have been slowly rotting away since then. I ask this question often. Why were we there and what did it accomplish? Same deal for Bush's Wars. Both should have been charged with war crimes,. There are just wars like the North Vs the South and the war against Hitler. A war against Stalin should of been ,I think. Pure death and misery for thousands. These were all winnable . The rest all worthless.
Aaron 1 is offline Find More Posts by Aaron 1
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:49 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Aaron, your post brought this song to mind....

copperhead road-Steve Earle (4 min 36 sec)
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:25 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron 1 View Post
It's culture thing. Around here most male children join the military at 18. Do their 20 years and retire to odd jobs. In the past these odd jobs for a very high % was running moonshine. Then it switched to pot and from that to meth. The land is so poor very little can be raised for profit. At one time Tomatoes were grown in the river area. Now that cannot compete with commercial farms. This is one ,if not the poorest area in the US for white folk.

The only future is to move but some resist. See the Movie" Winters Bone" . Thats the way is was and is and it will never change unless more like me move in.

My last relatives fought in the Civil War. Some for the North,some for the South. Zero hate or strife for the situation. I every heard about.. One moves on if they are smart. As a small child I knew a lot of old folks who were there and stories that should not be told to children, buy maybe they should heard this. It shaped my views.

Myself I took the standard College deferment during Korea. Then I enlisted to get the GI Bill. Paid off for me and the Government..In a cannon fodder war don't kill of the best. The future depends on them.

I have a very low opinion of LBJ and the Viet Nam war. If I had kids of draft age I would have left the country if I shall no way to avoid it. That war was the peak of the American Empire. We have been slowly rotting away since then. I ask this question often. Why were we there and what did it accomplish? Same deal for Bush's Wars. Both should have been charged with war crimes,. There are just wars like the North Vs the South and the war against Hitler. A war against Stalin should of been ,I think. Pure death and misery for thousands. These were all winnable . The rest all worthless.

And I've met plenty who feel this way, so 'we' are not alone

Peace bro'
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:53 AM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,566 Posts
Quote:
I wasn't old enough to enlist.
I'm honestly looking for clarification on this comment. It goes to your credibility about posting on other people either enlisting or not enlisting. On its face, this comment seems to be disingenuous at the very least. In other threads you indicate your age is 53. I'm 52. So "I wasn't old enough to enlist." doesn't fly. It appears to me that you chose not to enlist. Is this a fair assessment?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:41 AM
Registered Broncos Fan!
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Sep 2007
687 Posts
Quote:
Or maybe the Romneys are cowards...
And yet YOU didn't serve, huh? Oh, but your daddy and your little boy did...
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:02 AM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,566 Posts
Quote:
I'm honestly looking for clarification on this comment. It goes to your credibility about posting on other people either enlisting or not enlisting. On its face, this comment seems to be disingenuous at the very least. In other threads you indicate your age is 53. I'm 52. So "I wasn't old enough to enlist." doesn't fly. It appears to me that you chose not to enlist. Is this a fair assessment?
Bump for a clarification from Broken Wings.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:15 AM
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
You're not going to get one.
logan5 is offline Find More Posts by logan5
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:20 AM
Registered Broncos Fan!
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Sep 2007
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Well, as ET so eloquently put it earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINETORQUE View Post
He does keep askin' those 'too difficult' questions doesn't he

I can see how annoying that could be..................
Not shocking to see that one get snubbed.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:23 AM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
I'm betting not. As I said, it goes entirely to credibility.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:14 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Quote:
Of course what he meant was he was too young to enlist to serve in Vietnam. At 53 now, he would have only been 15 or 16 years old when that war wound down. And of course he could have enlisted when he became old enough, if he chose to. As you did. Evidently he did not. I had my number drawn, was to turn 18 in 1972, my number was 30, a friend was 260, another friend was 4. That lottery was never drafted. There were volunteers from my age group who served.

FWIW, I don't find his point valid, Romney was in the draft lottery in 1969, and most of those who got a lot of deferments, like Cheney, never had their number drawn. I have known guys who enlisted when they had a low draft number, one went into the Navy, thinking it was safer duty in that war.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:17 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,280 Posts
Romney's deferment meant that he was eligible in 1970. He drew a high number.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1838260.html
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Closed Thread