SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:57 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,299 Posts
Discussion
tractor or push ??

Been wondering just what is the difference between a tractor prop and a pusher prop ?? Like my hawk sky is a pusher,but i got this Super Sky Surfer from banana and it says it is a tractor prop ? So i cant use a pusher ?
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:29 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
Tractor pulls from the front of the bird, pusher pushes.

I've got a pusher parkjet that I'm using a tractor prop on it's just flipped around.

As long as you get the prop the correct direction, if it fits and fits safely use it.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:56 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,410 Posts
There's no such thing as a "tractor" or "pusher" prop in brushless electric flight. This is outdated and confusing terminology. There are only normal props and reverse-rotation props. Those reverse-rotation props are the ones that get called "pushers". Viewed from the cockpit, normal props spin clockwise and reverse-rotation (or reverse-pitch) props spin CCW.

The only difference between a "tractor" and a "pusher" is the direction they're made to rotate. Before brushless setups were commonplace, brushed motors were used that were normally optimized to run in one direction. When you turned that motor around to use in a pusher-style airframe, you needed a prop that would spin the opposite direction to get the most out of the motor. This is also true of most internal-combustion engines. Brushless motors spin equally well in either direction so this isn't an issue. The biggest uses for reverse-rotation props in electric flight now are multi-motor craft where props are paired to cancel out each others' torque roll effects, such as twins or the growing multicopter segment of the hobby.

As long as the prop is the right size and is installed correctly (another sticking point for a lot of people), you can use whatever you want. Personally I like to use normal-rotation ("tractor") props across the board so that torque effects are the same for every plane.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
It's an old relic of the fuel only engine days cause they spun in only one direction
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:11 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,192 Posts
Planes can be tractor or pusher powered regarding motor position.

Props can be standard or reverse pitch.

You can use a standard prop on a plane that has a tractor or pusher motor position.

If you imagine a shaft running all the way from the nose to the tail, then just slide the prop along that shaft from the front to the rear position. The prop does not get turned round.

The only thing to check is that the motor, whether at the front or back, rotates the prop in the correct direction. (Or you're in for a nasty shock when you hand launch the model)
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:28 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Oct 2012
12 Posts
There is no such thing as pusher props. IC engines required that a while ago because most could not run backwards. To change a tractor setup to a pusher, simply reverse the prop and switch 2 of the ESC to motor connections.
CPRC is offline Find More Posts by CPRC
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:47 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
Planes can be tractor or pusher powered regarding motor position.

Props can be standard or reverse pitch.

You can use a standard prop on a plane that has a tractor or pusher motor position.

If you imagine a shaft running all the way from the nose to the tail, then just slide the prop along that shaft from the front to the rear position. The prop does not get turned round.

The only thing to check is that the motor, whether at the front or back, rotates the prop in the correct direction. (Or you're in for a nasty shock when you hand launch the model)
This is a super sky surfer, motor on top and in back of wings. says it has an 8x6 prop,and boys in that SSS forum said it is a tractor prop ? Any who ha if i can use any 8x6 prop it would be nice And ill be sure to get it flying forward instead of backwards LOL
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:15 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
You should be able to use what your guy said is a tractor, as long as it fits the motor shaft properly.

I learned this from someone here on RCG, sorry I can not remember your name atm for this.

A boat going backwards will cavitate, a prop has a convex and a concave side. The rear of a prop is the concave side. cavitate - concave

The saying is not exactly proper but you get the idea.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker