HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:18 PM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,639 Posts
those are some awesome links!!! they're building some awesome spads there. might have to build a powered one sometime.
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:28 PM
Duck tape cant fix that
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
Those guys are pretty cool, Awsome stuff on that thread and the plans are decent too.
sgmxr6 is offline Find More Posts by sgmxr6
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:02 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,639 Posts
what are they using to "score" the ribs with? they use some sort of knife to cut slits on one side of the coroplast, so they can bend it around, to a round shape? if that makes any sense
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:36 PM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
871 Posts
Flute cutters

Straight through cuts are made with a sharp boxcutter and a metal straight edge. Make sure you cut in the right direction at an angle to the flutes or they will draw the blade away from the ruler.
Flute hinges are cut with a standard, slightly blunt box cutter by sliding the blade against the side wall of the flute at a slight angle. Takes a little practice to get a nice straight flute cut for hinging or to facilitate bending for round fuses. You can also crease the flutes with a blunt edged object like a Philips head screwdriver.
Or, if you can get curved cutter blades then you can make one of the attached.
An expensive commercial version is here.
Rusty Nail is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Last edited by Rusty Nail; Jan 17, 2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:21 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,639 Posts
ok thanks. those blades are also used for cutting roof shingles. so is it meant to cut 2 slits at a time? sounds like a dumb question, but in the video i saw, it looked like when he made the cuts, there were some small slivers of plastic that came out of the cuts. any time ove cut coroplast, there were no slivers of plastic that came up from the cut. thanks
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:06 PM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
871 Posts
The tool removes the 3mm strip of plastic between the flutes making a neat u channel.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:46 PM
Duck tape cant fix that
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
There are inexpensive tools for cutting coroplast.The guy I get my coroplast from owns a sign shop and buys them by the box.You can cut just about any channel or score really easy in minutes.Ill ask him who the supplier is and post it tomorrow.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:39 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,639 Posts
i see, said the blind man!! you've been a big help, thanks
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:00 PM
Duck tape cant fix that
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
Hey I got the info on the coroplast cutting tools from my sign guy today.The name of the company is Grimco.Im getting a couple sets of cutters myself! To go with the coro I bought today.Im going to start a new plane this weekend.I think Im going to do an f117 with a mid mounted powerplant and a pusher.I've never built a flying wing or a v tail.wish me luck..lol
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:45 PM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
871 Posts
The Grimco Coro-Claw seems to be for 10mm Corro, and does not cut hinges. Can you get one to do 2mm?

Coro Claw - Corrugated Plastic Cutting Tool (1 min 38 sec)
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:06 PM
Duck tape cant fix that
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
The one im getting can cut multiple sizes and thickness of material.My friend put on a littke demo for at his sign shop.The tool that he is getting for me is a proffesional cutter that may be the difference.I will post up a littke pic or a demo video monday when I get the tool.Im going to hold off starting on my new spad until then.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:20 AM
Duck tape cant fix that
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
Sorry I haven't posted the new coro cutter in action yet.I forgot monday was a holiday and the mail didnt run.Maybe today it will come!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:06 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,811 Posts
That tool Rusty posted up there is from Spadtothebone and works great for taking out material for a hinge in 4mm. Both of those hooks go in the same groove and when you pull it through it takes out that sliver that you saw in the video. I can rarely find mine though so I just pull a single hooked blade through, holding it up against first one side and then run it through again held against the other side. For cuts that go all the way through the coro, I just use a utility knife with a regular straight blade in it. For rounded fuses, Andy Erwin has some great videos on YouTube under Draftman3, I think, that show you how to slit the coro and glue everything up.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:51 AM
Duck tape cant fix that
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
Ok guys here is the skinny the coro tools are available n any size coro you want to cut.Frim 2mm to 10mm you can get them with changable blade heads or purpose built sizes that aredisposable.I got mine and have been practicing my cuts and hinges etc.These toils really nake the job easy.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:10 AM
Heli-flyer
India, MH, Pune
Joined Apr 2011
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmxr6 View Post
Ok guys here is the skinny the coro tools are available n any size coro you want to cut.Frim 2mm to 10mm you can get them with changable blade heads or purpose built sizes that aredisposable.I got mine and have been practicing my cuts and hinges etc.These toils really nake the job easy.
Where is the tool ? guess you forgot to attach pic
netsecrets00 is offline Find More Posts by netsecrets00
Closed Thread