Closed Thread
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:36 PM
Duck tape cant fix that
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
Question
Aircore corostar

I've got a question and thought maybe someone here can help answer it.
I recently purchased a corostar 1 from a fellow from here and I would like to set it up with my retracts.I've seen this plane set up with different variations of landing gear but I'm not sure if both versions of the corostar can be equipped with retracts or not.My kit hasn't arrived yet and I can find zero info on the subject.Hope you guys can shed some light on this for me thanks!
sgmxr6 is offline Find More Posts by sgmxr6
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:57 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,148 Posts
The plane tends to be a little on the heavy side. It flies Ok, but you have to be aware of the higher wing loading for the plane. I do not remember anyone putting retracts on them before though. So I am not sure one could do it. But where there is a will, there is a way.

Here is a pic of the box label on my example:
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:08 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,148 Posts
More information from the pic about it.

RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:14 AM
Duck tape cant fix that
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
Thanks for the input! I'm building both the trainer and the corostar at the same time.I've been scratching my head for ideas on how to do it.I guess the biggest question is where to install the retract servo.Im thinking I may be able to build a reinforced box to mount in close to the retract or perhaps build from the center of the wing near the aileron mount.In either case I'm kinda nervouse about messing up the cg.Once I get the spar installed I post a few pics up and see what ideas come to light.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:13 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,148 Posts
I would go with electric retracts myself. They have the servo built into each one. It would be much easier then was as you only need a Y cable to hook them up to the retract channel on the receiver. But yes, there isn't really much room to squeeze in a retract servo into the wing too. Maybe with a low profile retract servo on its side, you may be able to do it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:02 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,817 Posts
Check out this link SG: http://spadworld.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18230 Spaderman has done some nice electric retracts with the Hobbyking ones.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:21 AM
Duck tape cant fix that
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
Thanks for the link! Looks like this fella has had the same idea.I think I may hold off on building the wing and try and budget in some of those fancy retracts for my build as well.The weight has been on my mind since the corostar. Is pretty heavy before adding retracts.Thanks for your time and efforts to help me.
Steve,
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:43 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,817 Posts
No problem! Fabrice will answer any questions you have, he's a super nice guy.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:32 PM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,657 Posts
i bought one of these about a year ago for $10 at perry swap meet. it was already built and had been a gas plane. i converted it to electric. a buddy of mine gave me the motor & servos, so ive almost got the whole plane for free. but i absolutly love the way it flys. ive been looking for a thread about it for awhile. ill post some pics later. i crashed it a few weeks ago & just got done doing the repairs. but it went down hard into some small trees, and it had almost no damage. but its become one of my favorite planes.
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:41 PM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,657 Posts
these spads dont get much love do they? i posted here several days ago, and this thread has'nt moved.
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:48 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,817 Posts
They do, there are just not a lot of folks who build them. The ones who do are pretty rabid about them.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:49 AM
Duck tape cant fix that
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
No there isnt a lot of love for these old coro planes.There heavy and they dont land well with a slow approach.There designed for the beginner but require a trainer to learn to fly one.
I just built a trainer .40 and working on a heavily modified corostar.These planes are great in my opinion for what they are.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:07 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,817 Posts
I meant numbers-wise compared to other airplanes. They're not heavy if built properly and I can land my SPAD trainer slower than my Hobbistar. I love my spads.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:29 AM
Duck tape cant fix that
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
Lol John I hear you sir,
I suppose the weight issue only holds true if using the .40 engine.I started years ago in the hobby with aircore 40 trainer with the k&b .45 it was a little challenging at first.But all these years later Ive started over again with them.I love them there great planes and take a beating and there not shabby looking either.A new buddy of mine here sold me one and Its been a real plessure building it with my daughter she loves the hobby now too and is already begging for another kit to build.! I plan to make that dream come true as soon as I get her maiden voyage under her belt.I know the old aircore will see her through.
Ive been watching the build threads and think We may take a stab at building a few spads and Ive been working the dimensions a little on my corostar kit and think that I can pull an xp-51 look alike out of my hat but we will see.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:42 AM
Duck tape cant fix that
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
Heres a few pics from the build I really enjoyed theres a few more I may load later.The best part is I have a fellow flyer that enjoys our hobby as much as I do.Its a real plesure to see the look of acomplishment on her face when she finishes a step.Cant wait for her first solo.!http:// [IMG]http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s625/sgmxr6/IMG_20121014_200213_zps3059e80b.jpg[/
IMG]
Closed Thread