HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:28 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Mar 2012
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KariY View Post
Here's my X8 variation of Vulcan. Center plates did not feel strong enough for 3515 motors in coax setup so had to support booms a bit. I think i'll cut the booms bit more optimize frame for 15" props. There's still plenty of space.
Did you cut your own brackets for the additional support beams, or where did you get them? And did you use CF booms or something else. I like this set-up for the extra rigidity. I would assume this adds extra ability to minimize lateral vibrations.
red1one is offline Find More Posts by red1one
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:25 PM
Staying Frosty
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Feb 2008
2,961 Posts
Did some filming yesterday of these ice fisherman throwing an ice bash... still working with the video, but someone snagged this pic of the vulcan I though looked pretty neat
Hellsiege is online now Find More Posts by Hellsiege
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Construction Projects - Updated
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:29 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,641 Posts
Re. folding the Vulcan, if you brought the motor wires out through the side of the booms (as per my Y6) that would make it easier to re-fit the bolts ...
Bill Glover is online now Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:45 AM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
Re. folding the Vulcan, if you brought the motor wires out through the side of the booms (as per my Y6) that would make it easier to re-fit the bolts ...
That would in deed make it MUCH easier to fit the bolt thru the arms if going the fold up route.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:13 AM
Philippines, Central Luzon, Marilao
Joined Jun 2008
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
OK so here's my finished 900mm Y6 which I maidened today without any problems. Pleased to find there was hardly any vibration, which was the reason I built it!

Running on a measly 3S , with Torxpower 2216 900 Kv motors turning Graupner 11x5s. AUW with the gimbal and camera is 2.5 kg dead (5800 cells), hover current is approx. 30A. 35 MHz radio (Multiplex TX, Schulze RX), 2.4GHz vtx.

Here's one of the strobes I mentioned before

And an inside shot before fitting the bottom plate - you can see where I ran the motor cables out through the sides of the arms. The thing in blue heatshrink on the left is the stripped-down servo tester that runs the strobes (BEC just below). The PCB on the right side is the Shutterbug Pro that drives the camera shutter servo. Red JST plugs are for the LED strips under the front booms.

Hi what are those spacers in between the mounts for?
rukie is offline Find More Posts by rukie
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:58 PM
Joined Nov 2000
11,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rukie View Post
Hi what are those spacers in between the mounts for?
Those are recommended with the Y6 layout ... they stiffen up the structure by linking the top & bottom plates in the big 'gap' between each arm.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:15 PM
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,195 Posts
@Bill. Neat looking build mate. Good to see another 35 meg user.

@Steve. Look forward to your thoughts on your maiden.
Paul@SCC is offline Find More Posts by Paul@SCC
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:28 PM
Joined Dec 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@SCC View Post

@Steve. Look forward to your thoughts on your maiden.
Thanks Paul. Getting close. Just trying to calibrate the WKM GPS today. It goes blue horizontal rotate, then green vertical rotate. The 3 seconds white as it should do. So I think that is right but immediately after the white it flashes red. I don't whether this is a successful gps calibration or not?
steve9996 is offline Find More Posts by steve9996
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:34 PM
Joined Jan 2007
3,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve9996 View Post
Thanks Paul. Getting close. Just trying to calibrate the WKM GPS today. It goes blue horizontal rotate, then green vertical rotate. The 3 seconds white as it should do. So I think that is right but immediately after the white it flashes red. I don't whether this is a successful gps calibration or not?
Hi Steve. That is correct. Well mine did that. It's just going back to looking for sats mode.

Edit. I should say mine did three red flashes not continuous flashing.
Last edited by Paul@SCC; Feb 20, 2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:21 PM
Joined Dec 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@SCC View Post
Hi Steve. That is correct. Well mine did that. It's just going back to looking for sats mode.

Edit. I should say mine did three red flashes not continuous flashing.
Thanks Paul, just check it again and the GPS calibration is fine. Probably was the first time I did it! I think I was confused by both the instructions and the youtube clips on this subject. They could do with making that point a bit clearer, that after the white 3seconds it immediately reverts to looking for sats.

I now think I will remove the manual mode from the 3 position switch on my T8FG. I'm really nervous, not my usual cavalier attitude to many things in life. Indeed I have had some help from Alex. He has been really really helpful. I have been to his place a couple of times. He is a busy guy and to take the time to help someone not too far up the learning curve I am most grateful. Top bloke.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:26 PM
Joined Nov 2000
11,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve9996 View Post
I now think I will remove the manual mode from the 3 position switch on my T8FG.
If it helps any, with the Naza I use a second model memory on the TX with a 2-pos switch configured GPS/Manual - this is just used to get into compass calibration. The memory I use for flying has a 3-pos set up with Atti/GPS/Failsafe (no Manual).
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:57 AM
Joined Nov 2000
11,641 Posts
Short video of my Y6 today ... bit blowy (not to mention cold!) but the gains are pretty close now I think

Y6 test flight (2 min 1 sec)
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:24 PM
Joined Dec 2012
25 Posts
Hey Bill fantastic. Had my Y6 up for the first time today. I will do some footage tomorrow. Mine is 1200 with 6s batteries and powerful 4014 motors, so quite a bit different. But I was completely gob smacked it flew so well, but that is just my inexperience really. I do intend to shorten the booms a bit and do your motor wiring arrangement. Originally I was transferring my Naza GPS from my F550 to the Y6, but I ended up getting a WKM. I have actually bought another boom and a couple more motors to make a X8. Not for the power but for some redundancy.

I have just ordered a 2 axis Cinestar gimbal and a couple of radians. I liked KariY's build with his 3 axis but without the cross bracing on his X8 for the moment. At moment I do want to shorten the booms but Alex says leave it as is. I have a van so transporting the massive Y is really not a problem. But if the shorter booms perform better like the Kopterworx guys say they do with the coaxial and the WKM, I really don't know what to do.

Anyway I am certainly enjoying getting so far and the result is so good!
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:57 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Paul, just a question;
Are you still using 35 FM radio gear? Just curious as I saw a tx aerial in one of your videos,,,
Really nice multi's you are flying too!

Cheers

Matt
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:46 AM
Joined Jan 2007
3,195 Posts
Hi Matt
Yep, still on the old 35 meg.

All the best Paul.