HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:30 AM
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVProducts View Post
Paul,

I like the table / case idea. Hmmmm...a buddy of mine has the wood shop.

If you need retracts you know how to email me.
I was thinking of alluminium. But wood would be a lot easier to work with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh_007 View Post
Carrying the octo in my vehicle is not a problem, but carrying it in the box is a huge problem. So I unwillingly decided today to remove 3 arms from my Octo for travelling. So I guess the box will be of size of 50" X 30" X 22"!! atleast I can put the box in my car to take it to the airport...
The box will be very sturdy flight case, last year I got a box made from wood for my MJ Helicam having dimenions of 65" X 24" X 28" and the box weighed around 35Kgs... With the heli, 2 radios and 8 6s lipos the box weighed around 65kgs. This time I'm planning to get it done in composite aluminum panel... Lets see how that goes...
Any suggestions or tips for dismantling for travelling please???

Regards
Adarsh
Adarsh. Surely it would be better to remove your gimbal. Your box will go from being nearly two foot deep to about 6 inches.
Paul@SCC is offline Find More Posts by Paul@SCC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:14 PM
Joined Apr 2005
64 Posts
Quote:
There is no easy way to travel with Multi's unless they break down or fold up. I'll have to get back to bugging Alex about making quick connect arms or simple fold up mounts. You can fold the Vulcan arms, its just putting the thru bolts back thru without the wires getting in the way is a pain (especially with 8).
This would be nice if Alex had something up his sleeve. All we really need is some quick connect in place of the outside bolt of the arms you want to collapse for transport. I was going to try just replacing the bolts with some thumb screws and wing nuts that way you don't need tools but that still leaves the issue of fitting the thumb screw through the wiring in the arms. Anybody have any ideas please let us know.

Ps. Finally got everything in the mail to get my vulcan hexa complete. Now on to test flights.
rock11 is offline Find More Posts by rock11
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:22 PM
Austria, Niederösterr., Eggenburg
Joined Jan 2010
1,416 Posts
But if there are no wires inside the arms it is possible ...
EndOfDays is offline Find More Posts by EndOfDays
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:31 PM
Joined Jan 2007
3,186 Posts
Hi rock11
I like the idea of the thumb screws and wing nuts.
A few posts back I mentioned that I would like to have alluminium tube spacers in the arms so I could tighten down the m3 bolts without deforming the arm. I think if you had one of them glued in place you would not have the problem of trying to thread the bolt through your wires.

Your Hexa is looking great with the retracts. Looking forward to seeing the on board footage from your Vulcan.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:38 PM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,846 Posts
I think slotting the outside bolt hole on each arm (like Paul did with landing gear) would allow it to pivot / fold very easy. I just have to test when tightened if the arms would still pivot.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:49 PM
Joined Jan 2007
3,186 Posts
Quote:
I think slotting the outside bolt hole on each arm (like Paul did with landing gear) would allow it to pivot / fold very easy. I just have to test when tightened if the arms would still pivot.
Do you mean a slot in the arm or in the plate. ? I personally wouldn't do either.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:44 PM
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Sep 2012
125 Posts
Started the build today! Got motors attached to plates and wiring shirk tubed to avoid any chaffing while in the arms. Arms are mounted to the motor plates as well. Next we will solder ESCs and get arms mounted to the base plate.

Will get some pictures next time!
flyacg is offline Find More Posts by flyacg
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:45 PM
Joined Apr 2005
64 Posts
A slot in the plate for the bolt to slide in might work but you would still have to loosen it quite a bit. If there was some type of locking clip that held the arm in place and you could just press with finger to realse it would be perfect. Kind of like how some of the can bus clips are on the wookong m psu.
rock11 is offline Find More Posts by rock11
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:01 AM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@SCC View Post
Hi Adarsh
I think you have got to split the gimbal from the octo for travel. That box will be a nightmare.

I'm going to build myself a large version of a folding wallpaper pasting table. If you do not know what it is. Here's what I'm on about. http://www.brooklyntrading.co.uk/p-4...ing-table.aspx

I will make it to take the octo without stock LG, by the time I get around to it I will hopefully have a set of retracts. I will redesign where the legs for the table fit. This box will be able to go on the roof rack or inside the car. The good thing, I won't be catching the props on everything and when I'm at the flying location I will have a 8ft x 4ft (approx) table to work on.
Gimbal, Tx and lipo's will be in a Peli.

If for any reason I have to ship my octo on a plane, I think, with a couple of mods I could de rig my octo in ten minutes and put it back together in 20 minutes. I could then probably get it in my storm 2500 peli case or definitely the next one up.
I must admit. It's not something I would like to do too often because of wear on cables and plugs.

I suppose the obvious thing would be to buy a van.
Hello guys,
This is what I build for my octo. The time for assembly the octo is arround 5 minutes, and the dimension of the box is 70x40x20cm. It weight 12kg fully loaded.
nimsoc is offline Find More Posts by nimsoc
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:12 AM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,846 Posts
I just want Alex to come out of the shop and see what he has come up with for quick connects.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:18 PM
Joined Jan 2007
3,186 Posts
Quick update on the gimbal
We have been waiting on some parts to arrive for our testing on roll and tilt. Hopefully they will arrive this week.
In the meantime we decided make a start on the the parts for the pan axis.
This is a short vid from the workshop.

Pan axis. (2 min 22 sec)
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:01 PM
FlyinLow
South Bend
Joined Sep 2006
174 Posts
Awesome..... knew I should have gotten into machining when I was younger.
Todiolo is offline Find More Posts by Todiolo
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:37 PM
Joined Jan 2007
3,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todiolo View Post
Awesome..... knew I should have gotten into machining when I was younger.
Me too Mind you, it's never too late

@nimsoc. Nice bit of kit.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:51 PM
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Sep 2012
125 Posts
So far build is going as planned. Finished soldering and placed our Power Distribution Board. ESCs will be attached to the sides of the arms. Ended up with a X Hexa config, made the most sense in the end. A couple pictures -

Motor mounted to plate and arm:
Attachment 5453076

Power distribution Board and wiring (not cleaned up yet):
Attachment 5453077

Power Distribution Board, ESCs wired from bottom of board:
Attachment 5453078

More to come this weekend -
flyacg is offline Find More Posts by flyacg
Last edited by flyacg; Mar 04, 2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:33 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,048 Posts
Just out of curiosity, has anyone flown a 1200mm Hexa with large motors on the Naza?
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways