HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:26 PM
Staying Frosty
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Feb 2008
2,964 Posts
Ok, checked the link and noticed it said solid white. Mine does have the two led lights on the top (Old Compass). It's the same compass as what I use on the DJI AceOne, only on that one the led's flash, not so much on Wkm

Wife is probably thinking I'm having an affair, but snuck away again to lay out more components. Got the main layout done, foam taped the WKM sensor box can't rem name at the moment and then used velcro for MC and Receiver as someone mentioned for easier access. I did also get some angle iron type aluminum that I'm going to cut those battery holders with, just didn't have a good cutting wheel with me. I also balanced the props and put those on to make sure I had everything right (will pull off to setup on PC now).

I did screw up on the bottom plate, wasn't thinking about camera mount when I did ESC's so the holes I need to use are covered. Going to add some CF tube and extend 4 of the bolts that sandwich the arms, so I can build some rails to mount my camera mount too. Just an extra step as I really don't want to pull the plates apart and re-do all this wiring mess A few more pics.

Steve
Hellsiege is offline Find More Posts by Hellsiege
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hellsiege; Jan 01, 2013 at 11:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:35 AM
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Sep 2012
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyacg View Post
What is everyones LiPo of choice?

We are thinking these... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._6S1P_30C.html

Wanting to fly one 5800mah 6S - will we be getting decent performance/flight times?
Or possibly these: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
flyacg is offline Find More Posts by flyacg
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:43 AM
Joined Jul 2011
20 Posts
Hi

I'm very suprized how good your controller works.
I know it is a brushed dc motor and the electronics used to control the motor is nothing more complex then the battery driven drill which uses PWM.
Are you using 555 timer or halfbridge?
I have done some progress too but I'm not sure what senzor gyro + acc you are using because mine is not so accurate.
I see that you use potis on the control board too for fine tuning. That's good but only when the temperature is constant otherwise I think you will get drifts.
Hope you can help me out.
jazavac2302 is offline Find More Posts by jazavac2302
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:35 PM
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,198 Posts
Quote:
What is everyones LiPo of choice?

We are thinking these... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._6S1P_30C.html

Wanting to fly one 5800mah 6S - will we be getting decent performance/flight times?
Hi Fly
I have one of the 5800, but I have only hopped the octo up for a few minutes so not sure what kind of flight time they give. At the end of the week I will go for a fly and see what time I get with the one pack.
Hopefully I will be able to work out whether to go for 2 packs or a single pack at 8000mah or higher
Paul@SCC is offline Find More Posts by Paul@SCC
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:46 PM
Joined Jan 2007
3,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazavac2302 View Post
Hope you can help me out.
Certainly. Which way did you come in?

No details at the moment jaz.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:51 AM
Staying Frosty
Joined Feb 2008
2,964 Posts
Put the sides on the top tray today to form a "lipo rails" . I was hoping to extend it at little, but all said and done I really just added sides to the top tray. I could of used the slot in the edges vs holes, but it wouldn't of been as sturdy. Going this route, I was able to notch the aluminum L's so they are tied into the black bolts shown as well. Additionally, I also could of went with a bigger L, but got this 3ft piece for $3.47 at home depot and the bigger stuff was way to thick etc...
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Construction Projects - Updated
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:44 AM
Joined Jul 2011
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@SCC View Post
Certainly. Which way did you come in?

No details at the moment jaz.

Ok thanks for your help.
Yesterday I figured out myself what the problem was.
Now I just have to put larger motors and then I can go try it on my oktocopter.

I don't see the point of showing people videos how good (obviously not your controller) works when you won't help others.

Do you have issues?
jazavac2302 is offline Find More Posts by jazavac2302
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:36 AM
Joined Jan 2007
3,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazavac2302 View Post

Do you have issues?
Yes.
My Roses didn't bloom last year and I have a loose tile on the roof.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:01 AM
Joined Jan 2007
3,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsiege View Post
Put the sides on the top tray today to form a "lipo rails" . I was hoping to extend it at little, but all said and done I really just added sides to the top tray. I could of used the slot in the edges vs holes, but it wouldn't of been as sturdy. Going this route, I was able to notch the aluminum L's so they are tied into the black bolts shown as well. Additionally, I also could of went with a bigger L, but got this 3ft piece for $3.47 at home depot and the bigger stuff was way to thick etc...
Hi Steve. Looks like you are getting near to your maiden flight.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:45 AM
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Sep 2012
138 Posts
Quote:
Yes.
My Roses didn't bloom last year and I have a loose tile on the roof.
This is hilarious! My EXACT same personality!! Too funny... Paul@SCC is protecting what he has created and, I'm sure, once it's perfected - it will be available in some form...

On another note, it's like Christmas morning all over again - shipment notifications via email are popping up and all sorts of goodies are on their way!
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:09 AM
Joined Jan 2007
3,198 Posts
Quote:
This is hilarious! My EXACT same personality!! Too funny... Paul@SCC is protecting what he has created and, I'm sure, once it's perfected - it will be available in some form...
Hey Fly. Thanks for pointing that out.
I went to the shrink yesterday about my issues. He gave me the number of a good gardener and roofer. My other issues will STABILIZE in no time.

Quote:
On another note, it's like Christmas morning all over again - shipment notifications via email are popping up and all sorts of goodies are on their way!
Being serious now. Yes, I love those shipment notifications too.

What lipo's did you end up going with?
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:52 AM
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Sep 2012
138 Posts
Quote:
Hey Fly. Thanks for pointing that out.
I went to the shrink yesterday about my issues. He gave me the number of a good gardener and roofer. My other issues will STABILIZE in no time.

Being serious now. Yes, I love those shipment notifications too.

What lipo's did you end up going with?
Its the last bit of parts I haven't completely decided on... Been using Turnigy on other rigs and am happy with their performance so I think I am going to stick with what I know: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html or http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

Any thoughts on 5000mah 40c vs. 5800mah 25c??
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:10 AM
Staying Frosty
Joined Feb 2008
2,964 Posts
I read somewhere on here about higher C rated packs and how they weren't the best for multicopters, but can't seem to find the thread at the moment. Something about voltage dropping off quicker then with a lower C. Curious as well what others think!

Hoping to fly mine today, got the camera mount rails done last night (didn't have camera), will put landing gear on today and program the FC I have a video project starting Monday on the bypass bridge at hover damn. The job is cleared through Homeland, NDOT, and BLM for the big copterworks rig (AF25b), but wanted this along as a backup. Course I don't plan on lifting the scarlet with this multi just yet and will only be sending the nex5 up...lol

-Steve
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Construction Projects - Updated
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:51 PM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,889 Posts
Nex5 on the AF25?
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:55 PM
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Sep 2012
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsiege View Post
I read somewhere on here about higher C rated packs and how they weren't the best for multicopters, but can't seem to find the thread at the moment. Something about voltage dropping off quicker then with a lower C. Curious as well what others think!

Hoping to fly mine today, got the camera mount rails done last night (didn't have camera), will put landing gear on today and program the FC I have a video project starting Monday on the bypass bridge at hover damn. The job is cleared through Homeland, NDOT, and BLM for the big copterworks rig (AF25b), but wanted this along as a backup. Course I don't plan on lifting the scarlet with this multi just yet and will only be sending the nex5 up...lol

-Steve
Robert - what are your thoughts on "c ratings" for multi-rotors??