HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:04 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,708 Posts
Discussion
OT, Happy 50th birthday to the visable spectrum LED

which is still better than the LER (light emmiting resistor) that only works for a fraction of a second before all the magic smoke leaks out of it.

The visible light emitting diode turns 50 years old today

I Linked this article here because of how LED's in general have permeated our lives and our model lighting needs. high output light, to energy used. directly linkable to programmable IC's Grain of rice bulbs are nice, but high energy consumption and lots of heat. must be painted, or gelled to get various colors. will eventually burn out. etc.

interesting story and attached video of the inventor. folks said he was nuts for even trying to make a visable spectrum LED, all LED's prior only emitted Infra-red.

enjoy the story folks.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:15 PM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,320 Posts
Thx for the heads up Bgnome, great story! Boo
pkboo is offline Find More Posts by pkboo
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:38 PM
1/2 a bubble off
United States, NY, Schenectady
Joined Mar 2011
843 Posts
Some of the first LED's I bought were shaped like a small cupcake with a gold ring around the sides. Two round gold plated wires out the bottom, one longer than the other, hemispherical red lense, and designed to run at 0.020 amps. Not very bright by today's standards. I would gestimate a 30 degree viewing angle.

I remember making a cluster, six of these for a red flashlight. What impressed me was the lamp ran from a free Radio Shack 9 volt battery for more than a month with about 5 hours a week of use.

Mom didn't notice the red light, (very directional) that came from my room at night. I was reading science fiction when I was supposed to be sleeping.
Apismelifera is offline Find More Posts by Apismelifera
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:39 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,708 Posts
Not the devils science fiction! I'm suprised that your brain hasn't rotted! :P
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:02 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,063 Posts
A perfect time to remind everyone of the best development EVUR in LEDs-- the side-emitting WHITE light LEDs now used in Christmas light strings, down to 3mm OD:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post20049931
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350