to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:04 PM
Steamers & Military Ships
Bergen, Norway
Joined Jul 2007
45 Posts
Futaba FP-T7

Thanks for an interesting thread!

Here is an old Futaba Contest 7 (FP-T7) 27 MHz FM from the seventies. I have simply connected the FrSky DIY module to plug for the frequency board that I have removed. I had to adjust the neutral point on all channels and now everyting works fine except for channel 1 which is a little bit jittery. Do anyone know how to get rid of this jittering?

Edit: See post 71: The power to the DIY module has to be taken from the main switch, or at least the red wire. Blue wire going to the plug is PPM.

HelgeBe
HelgeBe is offline Find More Posts by HelgeBe
Last edited by HelgeBe; Feb 03, 2013 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Updated information
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:17 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
After so many years the pot on ch. #1 probably needs to be replaced, there might also come from the small trimmer for Ch. #1 on the board (wiper to resistive trace contact)since it is open and might have some dust.
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:41 PM
United Kingdom, Chepstow
Joined Jan 2013
4 Posts
futaba gold series

Hi,love the thread!!!!!,so glad l am not alone in loving these old sets,now where can l get a Tx module running 35mghz?????,these sets are hard to find(near impossible) this side of the pond(uk),so l bought a set from the U.S.ofA,trouble is it is on 72 mghz,so l need a Tx module,an original Rx would be great as well,it doesnt look as though Futaba are going to be much help-its on their not supported list,which means no spares/repairs,l dont really fancy a 2.4 conversion but if its the only way...........surely there are some spares around somewhere,any help will be much appreciated!!.
jacksidebotham is offline Find More Posts by jacksidebotham
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:47 PM
United Kingdom, Chepstow
Joined Jan 2013
4 Posts
l need a Tx module on 35mghz plus an Rx to match for my American spec 72 mghz fp6,l am unable to find any in the UK is there a supplier Stateside????
jacksidebotham is offline Find More Posts by jacksidebotham
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:54 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
You're more likely to find such a frequency module in the UK as 35Mhz is not legal to use in US/Canada. Probably no longer available as new, but there must be plenty on ebay since everybody is dumping their FM/AM stuff.
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:04 PM
USA, OH, Newport
Joined May 2005
78 Posts
I sent an email to Tony Stillman at Radio South. He said you can plug the newer 2.4ghz modules for the Futaba radios into the FG series and it will work. You can use Frsky, Corona and some others. You need the type with the screw on antennas. The module goes in upside down compared to the newer Futaba radios. I might get a module for mine from HK and bring the old FG back to life.
maddmann is offline Find More Posts by maddmann
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:03 PM
KlonWarz
Joined Dec 2012
454 Posts
Tnx for your post, MM... I'm gonna try it on my old FG.
rc
rusty case is offline Find More Posts by rusty case
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:09 AM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2011
223 Posts
Let me know how that goes, please. I was under the impression that those modules were smaller than the original AM and FM modules of the FG Gold series. The pin assignment might be the same, but they leave a gap that must be filled in. I'd like to know if something has changed.
RWalker is offline Find More Posts by RWalker
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:02 PM
USA, OH, Newport
Joined May 2005
78 Posts
They are smaller than the original module. Just fill the voids with foam or something. I read somewhere that someone filled in the gaps with EPP foam or something similar. Someone else filled the gaps with balsa but neither said if the modules worked in the radio. That's the reason I emailed Tony to find out for sure.
The reason you need a module with a screw on antenna is due to the module going in upside down causing the antenna to point down on modules with permanently attached antennas. The pin out is the same when the module is installed because it goes in upside down.
maddmann is offline Find More Posts by maddmann
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:00 PM
Steamers & Military Ships
Bergen, Norway
Joined Jul 2007
45 Posts
Futaba FP-T7

It was not the pots. It looks like the power supply to the original frequency board was through a spirous voltage regulator. Alltough the voltage was almost the same as the battery it was flucktuating a bit. In addition, after some time (15 min), the voltage suddenly dropped to 5 V. I then moved the red wire to the main switch and the radio now operates problem free and without any jittering servos.

HelgeBe
HelgeBe is offline Find More Posts by HelgeBe
Old May 22, 2013, 12:47 AM
Joined Nov 2011
223 Posts
Here's info from the boating side of the house about putting an indicating LED for power, and making a replacement battery pack.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...nsmitt+upgrade
Old Jun 09, 2013, 10:30 AM
Joined Nov 2011
223 Posts
Using the FrSky DHT Module

With the V8HT module discontinued, another method had to be found to install the new telemetry capable DHT module inside the venerable FG/K series. The DHT can't fit inside the old module casing unless you trim down the telemetry plug sticking out the side, rendering it inoperable. If you don't care about telemetry, then trim it down to fit or de-solder it completely off the board. You can then place it in the module per the V8HT instructions and eliminate the switch.

For the rest of you that might want to retain the telemetry plug for future use, here's how to proceed.

I hot glued the DHT module in place on the left side of the TX case back as shown in the photo. There is plenty of clearance for the installation.

The wires are then run to the right side of the case back. The bind and LED board is installed here.

I then installed a male servo lead to the DHT (yellow is the signal wire, attach the white lead cord to it) to plug into a female lead from the main board. To see the attachment of the main board leads, refer to the V8HT portion of the thread.

The old RF board was removed from the module case. It's just there for looks or a space for some future gizmo installation. On the other hand, you could retain the FM 72 or 53 MHz capability by keeping the pins in place for the RF board (usually I remove them) and installing a switch from the main board to the DHT. I'll leave that for some of you to figure out. I do more than my share of innovation on this board.
Last edited by RWalker; Jun 09, 2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old Jun 09, 2013, 10:41 AM
Joined Nov 2011
223 Posts
Installing the toggle switch

I disconnected the toggle switch from the bind board to make things easier to install. Choosing a blank spot on the top of the forward case switch area, drill a hole for the DHT's toggle switch.

Install the switch with the 1 way (non telemetry so that you can use the standard FrSky receivers) position facing downward. This means telemetry will be the next movement of the switch when moved up.

The completed installation is then plugged back into the bind board when ready to close up the case
Last edited by RWalker; Jun 09, 2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:11 AM
Joined Nov 2011
223 Posts
Finishing up

The original antenna base is modified to accept the 2.4ghz antenna pig tail. The top stem and under base are removed. A washer with a 1/4 inch hole is super glued to the top, and the assembly is repainted black. This is then bolted back into position on the case.

The SMA antenna mount threads through the new base easily. Put the lock washer on the inside and run the nut down. You might have to use needle nose pliers to hold the SMA mount while you run the outer nut down.
Last edited by RWalker; Jun 11, 2013 at 02:56 PM.