HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:22 PM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2011
223 Posts
I discarded the phillips head screws from the mount. These are hard to remove so take care and make sure you don't have power connected while you mess around with sockets or pliers trying to remove them. I installed the mount with 4-40 socket head bolts and nylon nuts. Reconnect the meter ground and the black wire on the right.
RWalker is offline Find More Posts by RWalker
Last edited by RWalker; Nov 05, 2012 at 10:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:29 PM
Joined Nov 2011
223 Posts
The finishing touch is placing the antenna on the mast. With that, reassemble the case, connect the wires and fire it up.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:32 PM
Joined Nov 2011
223 Posts
It's done! Follow the binding procedure of your FrSky receiver and you're in business. I didn't get the meter to work on this one, but I'll try it on the next FG conversion. To sum things up:

- AM or FM FGs can be 2.4'd
- Best Practice: connect a servo extension to the trainer cord outlet and the FrSky module wires to join them. The brown wire is the signal /ppm wire
- Drill holes in the floor of the module case and the case retainer to clear the antenna and module wires away from the PCB

Good luck with your mod, and be sure to range check and buy a fresh NT-8H battery before you fly if you just bought an FG off ebay.

My thanks to Wayne at Aloft Hobbies for the confidence to do this. I won't be sending it back
Last edited by RWalker; Nov 05, 2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:01 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,664 Posts
Very nice work. Thanks for sharing your project with all of us. Always nice to see a classic put back to work.

Kind of wish I still had my old tan Futaba I started flying with. I finally let it go a few years back. Despite many years of use, it still looked new.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Taranis Front Shell Swap
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined Nov 2011
223 Posts
Thanks Wayne! I'll be putting it in use soon. There should be no surprises since these modules are getting rave reviews.
Last edited by RWalker; Oct 20, 2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:06 PM
Joined Nov 2011
223 Posts
Addendum: If you happen upon an FM late model 7FG, the conversion is a bit easier. You can solder a female servo lead to the brown (ppm), red and black wires by simply unplugging the trainer socket from the board and removing it from the side bezel.
CHANGE! Go to post #49, page 4. Do not install the wires here. It causes the servos to be jittery or noisy
Last edited by RWalker; Nov 08, 2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:59 PM
Earth-Europe-Finland-Espoo-Friisilš
Joined Sep 2007
656 Posts
yes!

I do agree that FG-gold series are the finest vintage transmitters ever built. I did start with 4channel KO Digiace which can be politely described as 'bad'. Then upgraded to 7FG/K which was great. Best.

Only thing better so far has been 12FG.... (yes - I know that I am Futaba fanboy..)

Just to make sure that there is plenty of FG-goodness around me I have done some purchases . See below.

Tuomas
ps : ref to first message of this thread saying '.... (or the Iluminati wants to keep all the FGs for themselves )...', no, I have no links to Iluminati . Really.
tuootal is offline Find More Posts by tuootal
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:21 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,496 Posts
I agree that the old FG radios were great. I have about 20 or so of them. Still use a few of them today and the rest are backups and spares!! Stupid Ebay!!

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Brian Allen is offline Find More Posts by Brian Allen
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:25 PM
Earth-Europe-Finland-Espoo-Friisilš
Joined Sep 2007
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Allen View Post
I agree that the old FG radios were great. I have about 20 or so of them. Still use a few of them today and the rest are backups and spares!! Stupid Ebay!!

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Is there suitable Smilie for 'Envy'?

Tuomas
addendum : yep... there seems to be one and second and third still on loose.. wifey does not like this.. have to fight this ... urge...
tuootal is offline Find More Posts by tuootal
Last edited by tuootal; Oct 22, 2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:42 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
Very nice work. Thanks for sharing your project with all of us. Always nice to see a classic put back to work.

Kind of wish I still had my old tan Futaba I started flying with. I finally let it go a few years back. Despite many years of use, it still looked new.

-Wayne
If you are looking for an old tan Futaba, I have a brand new in box system from the late 70's, 53MHz FM (got my ham license as a kid so I would never have to wait for a freq pin). Just send me a PM.

I have 6 of them from back in the day, along with a single stick Futaba PCM.
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Last edited by ltc; Oct 22, 2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Nov 2011
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post
If you are looking for an old tan Futaba, I have a brand new in box system from the late 70's, 53MHz FM (got my ham license as a kid so I would never have to wait for a freq pin). Just send me a PM.

I have 6 of them from back in the day, along with a single stick Futaba PCM.
That would be the module-less FN series. I wonder why FrSky and Corona says their plug-ins are for these radios when FNs never had a module???
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:36 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,322 Posts
All my Futaba 53MHz FM TX are module based...plugs right in the back.
I have most all of the 53MHz frequencies I think.
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Nov 2011
223 Posts
The 7FG/K presents a different approach to installing the V8HT module. The board takes up more space than the 4 and 5 channel boards, so you have to drill holes for the antenna and module cables in the upper part of the old module case and the module receptacle in order to route them without obstructing the mounting of the receptacle. I tried to jump the meter ground with board ground with a jumper wire. There is no room to clear the module receptacle floor, so I had to remove it. Instead, I simply bridged the gap with solder as the drawing shows. You need to mount the V8HT so that it clears the case pin entrance
Last edited by RWalker; Nov 08, 2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Nov 2011
223 Posts
Other than the new hole location, putting the V8HT module in the old module case was not a problem. I should mention that in order for the V8HT to fit, the channel walls that once steadied that crystal in place on the module board must be ground away to allow for clearance.
Last edited by RWalker; Nov 03, 2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Nov 2011
223 Posts
Okay the mod is done, but I got jinky servos. Any thoughts as to why this might be folks? UPDATE: Solved the problem, see page 4, post 49.
Last edited by RWalker; Nov 08, 2012 at 11:31 AM.