HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:57 PM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2011
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNX211 View Post
Love those manual trims!
Who'd have thought manual trims would be old school someday. I grew up with them, so it won't bother me to have them a while longer.
RWalker is offline Find More Posts by RWalker
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined Nov 2011
222 Posts
Okay, armed with enough info to be dangerous, I have begun my hack adventure. Shown here is the innards of the test subject, an FP-T4FG AM what I done got off the ebay. Next to it, the V8HT module.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:39 AM
Joined Nov 2011
222 Posts
I have two choices to place the module. I could servo tape or hot glue here, or take out the old module innards and place it there. Here's the module option first.
Last edited by RWalker; Oct 13, 2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined Nov 2011
222 Posts
I'm also considering placing the bind button and LED along side the antenna post. I have concerns about the metal case doing harm to the PC board, so i'll use nylon spacers and/or place insulating tape on the case surface...
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:51 AM
Joined Nov 2011
222 Posts
I wanted to use the old the plastic antenna mount of the FG. The 2.4 antenna slides in, but it will require an SMA extension to clear edge of the base so that it can swivel and thread in properly for full contact.
Last edited by RWalker; Oct 13, 2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:41 PM
Joined Nov 2011
222 Posts
First is the module method. I start by opening the old module case and removing the old RF PCB. Next, using a step drill, I drilled a hole in the upper right corner of the lower RF case and in the module receptacle big enough for the antenna cable socket to get through. I had to remove the nut and lock washer to get it through the hole. The FrSky module is then servo taped or hot glued to the lower plate. I fed the three wires through where the pins would come through. Hot glue the binder board to the inside of the upper case. I now carefully close up the case, and screw the lower case back on. I am now ready to attach the FrSky wires to the pins.

NOTE: Don't follow this step. It's here just to document my efforts. Go to the post 27 where I put in new holes for the wires. This method presnts installation problems.
Last edited by RWalker; Oct 20, 2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:38 PM
Joined Nov 2011
222 Posts
I cut the old antenna wires leading to the antenna mount.(SEE CHANGE) This frees up the board so I can unscrew, flip over the board, and solder the leads to signal, +V, and ground circuits if I want to from there. You can bridge the meter ground with ground by putting a little solder between the posts on the board.

If you want to tap into the pins on the front side of the boards, here's the callout. You'll have to engineer getting the wire ribbon soldered to the pins within the RF box.

CHANGE: If you wish to retain the meter ability, DO NOT cut off the black antenna wire mounted to the case with an eyelet. If you followed this and cut the wire, solder a new wire with the eyelet back to the point on the board and re-mount the eyelet to the case when installing the antenna base.
Last edited by RWalker; Nov 05, 2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:55 PM
Joined Nov 2011
222 Posts
If you want to use the trainer cord, here's the wires you want. NOTE! This is based on info I got from the transmitter buddy box pin assignment chart for Futaba linked eleswhere on the thread. Check with a voltmeter first before soldering here. The PPM voltage will be half of the TX voltage.

UPDATE: I finally got a voltmeter and a good battery to check the circuit. The BROWN wire IS signal! Attach the FrSky yellow wire to that one if you are tapping off the trainer plug.
Last edited by RWalker; Oct 20, 2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:14 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,756 Posts
Very neat job with the module, RWalker.

I think I've decoded Terry Keeley's wiring for the FP-TD-AM module. It's a shame he didn't share the information with us properly once he found it. I'm still not 100% sure on the pin assignments, but I'll probably risk one of my modules, and an old ESky 4CH transmitter, to find out, fairly soon.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:40 AM
Joined Nov 2011
222 Posts
Here's what's been going on so far:
It's been quite the learning curve with my first install, I've picked up power, ground and signal from the trainer plug. Separate the plug from the edge bezel before soldering.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:47 AM
Joined Nov 2011
222 Posts
Using the old module, while sound, is kind of awkward. You have to have the FrSky module in place and the wires coming out of it in such a way that it does'nt interfere with the electronics. On my first try, I used the pins slot as an exit for the three wires and this is too wide for the aft part of the module to fit:
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:52 AM
Joined Nov 2011
222 Posts
So, I had to remove my wires from the plug and make a new exit hole from the module and its retainer:
Last edited by RWalker; Oct 20, 2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined Nov 2011
222 Posts
While I was there, I decided to use a servo extension to get more room to manuver around the plug. I soldered the proper colors to the plug connections and the other end to the FrSky wires. Much cleaner and less clumsy to work on the PCB without the back being attached.
Last edited by RWalker; Oct 20, 2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:16 AM
Joined Nov 2011
222 Posts
Here's a look at the back plate
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joined Nov 2011
222 Posts
Having gotten the module sorted out, I turned my attention to the antenna. I wanted to retain the flavor the original mount, but unless I had an extension for the SMA connector, it wasn't possible to keep the tall portion of the mount. So it was cut down inside and out, and a washer was CA'd in place and painted black.