SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:00 AM
Retired Flyer
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Nov 2011
118 Posts
Build Log
Building an H-Quad

Here is a H-Quad that I just finished for aerial photography. For testing purpose's I installed a free flight controller to check stability. Now that stability checks out, I will install a Naza controller. I have recently purchased the new Sony HDR-AS-10 action cam and it works flawlessly on this frame. There is no rolling shutter, jello effect or vibration at all.
Here are some photo's of completed frame, also the sony cam mounting.
Indoor first flight test can be seen on my youtube channel.

H-Quad Ver. 2 with Aluminum Arms (1 min 26 sec)
floridabiker is offline Find More Posts by floridabiker
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:32 PM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
2,078 Posts
looks great....i am getting ready to build my first tri-copter and using 1100kv motors and the F30 HK esc's (waiting on shipping)....wondering what size props you are using cause i can't figure out the best size to use...

thanks...
magic_marty is offline Find More Posts by magic_marty
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:35 PM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Jan 2011
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridabiker View Post
Here is a H-Quad that I just finished for aerial photography. For testing purpose's I installed a free flight controller to check stability. Now that stability checks out, I will install a Naza controller. I have recently purchased the new Sony HDR-AS-10 action cam and it works flawlessly on this frame. There is no rolling shutter, jello effect or vibration at all.
Here are some photo's of completed frame, also the sony cam mounting.
Indoor first flight test can be seen on my youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FolLfBmajUU&feature=plcp
Love these H frames. Easier to build than quads I am thinking.
Quick question. Why did you put a motor mount on the arms? I thought the arms were strong enough or..?
FlyingRodent is offline Find More Posts by FlyingRodent
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:34 PM
Retired Flyer
Joined Nov 2011
118 Posts
I'm using 10 4.5 props, they give plenty of lift.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:41 PM
Retired Flyer
Joined Nov 2011
118 Posts
I used the motor mounts because I think it gives the motor a flatter area to bolt up to. The tubes being hollow I also cut short pieces of hardwood and press fit them between the 2 mounting bolts so the tube would not crush when tightened.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:57 PM
Switzerland
Joined Jul 2010
346 Posts
One more QuadH on the air
Nice one.

We are more to choose this form of quad like here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1727528
eyesonsky is offline Find More Posts by eyesonsky
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:13 AM
Woof!
Denmark, Region Zealand, Roskilde
Joined Oct 2012
14 Posts
Overall a pretty nice work - thanks for sharing here.

I'm not entirely sure, but are you, kind of, enclosing the ESCs in packing foam, to stop them from rattling around ?
If so, I would maybe worry a bit about cooling - are they warm after tests/flights?
Great_Dane is offline Find More Posts by Great_Dane
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:26 AM
Retired Flyer
Joined Nov 2011
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Dane View Post
Overall a pretty nice work - thanks for sharing here.

I'm not entirely sure, but are you, kind of, enclosing the ESCs in packing foam, to stop them from rattling around ?
If so, I would maybe worry a bit about cooling - are they warm after tests/flights?
No the ESC's are located on each end which is open to air flow, the foam starts past the front esc and stops just before the back one. The esc's are held in place with double sided tape, no problem with over heating.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 02:46 PM
^Its what I do^ - FPVholic
USA, MO, Slater Flying Club
Joined Nov 2007
269 Posts
Nice Hquad

I would still be concerned about overheating, even with the sides of the frame open. I like mine to be in the propwash on the top or side of the arms. Our escs were designed with air cooling in mind. Just keep an eye on them.

Looks like a real clean quad! Im building my third quad in a few minutes.
The Flying Farmer is online now Find More Posts by The Flying Farmer