HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:16 AM
Joined Aug 2006
160 Posts
Discussion
Glueing deck to hull

I'm restoring an old RC sailboat. The deck was previously stuck to the hull with silicone, and had a lip over the edge that I didn't really like. I managed to get the deck off. I'm considering using epoxy+QCel to glue the deck on, and smoothing the join over, so that it's completely invisible. Can anyone think of a reason not to do this? Will I be setting myself up for problems later when the deck can no longer be removed?

I'm thinking it's OK, and I just want to go ahead and make it look sweet, but I just wanted to check first if anyone forsees any problems with this.

Also, if anyone has any nice colour schemes for a boat, let me know. I'm open to ideas.

P.S. It's an IOM boat, just incase that has any bearing.
surfdabbler is offline Find More Posts by surfdabbler
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:23 AM
United States, CA, Emeryville
Joined Aug 2010
49 Posts
deck glue

3M 5200 marine adhesive I find works the best for deck/hull joints. It stays flexible but sticks like all get out. I find that even the best epoxy can open up if the boat gets hit or takes some type of "shot" like a t-bone / boat on boat crash.
sullyelvis is offline Find More Posts by sullyelvis
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:33 AM
Sequim, WA
Joined Jan 2004
175 Posts
The recommended method of attaching the Canterbury J deck to the boat is the method you are suggesting. Hans recommends coating the deck and the supporting structure with epoxy and then turning the boat over and laying it on something like a towel until it cures. If your are not familiar with these boats they are 48" long. There are several threads here on RC Groups that discuss the boats. If you are worried about flexibility you might look into West Systems G-flex or their Six10 products. I'm working on hull # 503 and I used the Six10 to attach keel and fill the space between the hull and the keel. I will probably use G-flex for the deck.
Jim
jimhurley is offline Find More Posts by jimhurley
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:13 AM
Joined Aug 2006
160 Posts
Ok, I think I'll go with the epoxy, and get rid of the ugly lip, but then add a strip of cloth over the outside of the join, just to make sure.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:16 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,075 Posts
It all depends on the materials. Is it fiberglass hull and deck? If so, lots of cleaning and sanding off silicone followed by epoxy (not 5 minute) would work very well.
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:02 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
513 Posts
Your plan to bond the deck to the hull is the best way to go, I normally run 3 mm wide strip (stiff foam) on inside of the hull edge to have bigger bonding surface of the deck to the hull.

After bonding the deck to the hull, I fill the hull with water (naturally remove all electrics) to check the boat is then completely water tight, you will be surprised how often it is not, due to small gaps
KoneWone is offline Find More Posts by KoneWone
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:46 AM
Joined Aug 2006
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoneWone View Post
Your plan to bond the deck to the hull is the best way to go, I normally run 3 mm wide strip (stiff foam) on inside of the hull edge to have bigger bonding surface of the deck to the hull.
That's a good idea. I've been trying to think how to get a better gluing area. Foam would be perfect. I don't think I have any, but maybe I can work out something like this.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined Aug 2006
160 Posts
P.S. Aha, of course. I have plenty of balsa that I can strip down to a small triangular strip to epoxy around the inside lip of the hull before attaching the deck.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:34 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
513 Posts
If your using epoxy, do test on small strip of foam first to be sure it does not melt the foam, I use modelling foam that is not problem.
KoneWone is offline Find More Posts by KoneWone