SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:42 AM
United States, PA, Nesquehoning
Joined Sep 2010
1,902 Posts
Discussion
arduino help please

i am getting a error when i try to do a sketch on my multiwii .it is very possible i am doing it all wrong .

a little history

i have the multiwii se board
i can get in the gui on com 9 and the only gui i ever got to work is v2.1
(does this mean my board has version 2.1 on it??)
so i can get the gui working on com 9 ,no problems there .

when i open arduino it does see com 9 and loads it .when i try to open sketch i get a error .

i go to verify /compile the green progress bar moves up but then i get the error .

thats as far as i got .

am i missing something here?
am i to download multiwii v2.1 from the web and then point to that to make the sketch?
i dont want to mess up any programming as i bought the quad assembled and tuned and flown and it does fly well for me .i am looking to active(define) the baro so i can set it up .

i was able to assign acc to a switch on my dx6i and thats working fine but baro wont turn on .(turn green)

ps- i am choosing the duemilanove with atmega 328 (thats correct??)
please help.
thanks
helizrnew2me is offline Find More Posts by helizrnew2me
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:59 PM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
Canada, NB, Moncton
Joined Jun 2011
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helizrnew2me View Post
i am getting a error when i try to do a sketch on my multiwii .it is very possible i am doing it all wrong .

a little history

i have the multiwii se board
i can get in the gui on com 9 and the only gui i ever got to work is v2.1
(does this mean my board has version 2.1 on it??)
Yes, it does.

Quote:
so i can get the gui working on com 9 ,no problems there .

when i open arduino it does see com 9 and loads it .when i try to open sketch i get a error .

i go to verify /compile the green progress bar moves up but then i get the error .
What's the error?

Most likely is that you haven't selected the correct board type - you need to choose Nano with ATMEGA328.
TS00 is offline Find More Posts by TS00
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,902 Posts
i think i tried them all with 328 but i will try again .

should it load up whatever is on my board?or must i point to it ?

like this

open arduino
hit file ,choose "open"
then "look in" multiwii 2.1 folder ( i downloaded this from the web)
then sub folder "multiwii_2_1.ino ,then double click that folder

when i do this it loads up multiwii 2.1 into sketch and i can go into config.h where you can set parameters .

i have only done this so far without the quad hooked up because i didnt want to mess up any programming in the board .

so is this how is done then?or should arduino "read" my board and load whats on it?and then make changes from that point .?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,902 Posts
ok ,just tried again using "nano with atmega328" same error
i get a compiling error in a orange window at the bottom .
i can get into the gui with no problem on the same com port .

does it matter which version of arduino i am running? i have both 1.0 and 1.0.1
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:39 PM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
Canada, NB, Moncton
Joined Jun 2011
1,508 Posts
The arduino IDE can't read what's on your board, as that is compiled code. You need to load a new sketch with whatever changes you want.

I'm not sure what else to suggest - if you have the correct com port, and the correct board, and you have the ftdi drivers (which you must have for the gui to work), then it will work. There isn't anything else that can go wrong.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:45 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,902 Posts
yes i can load a "new" sketch
(like i described above) but then i will have to reset everything in that sketch right?

i do not have the original sketch because this was setup for me before i purchased it .
all i know is what i see in the gui.

do i just mimic whats in the gui now into the new sketch?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:10 PM
Quads!!
United States, NH
Joined Jul 2012
19 Posts
I am running a quad with the Crius SE board and choose Arduino Pro or Pro mini(5v, 16MHz) with ATmega 328. Open Arduino 1.01, under TOOLS choose board and com port. Then open 2.1, go through config.h, click save then upload. The board must be plugged in or the software has no place to go.

The baro is ready to go if the board is defined in the sketch, however in config.h you must choose which pin you will use for Aux2, pin 8 or 12, not both. Then your Tx/Rx must be setup. I am assuming Aux 1 is setup for "level".

Then open the GUI and watch the Aux 2 line to see if it moves when you switch it on the Tx, then assign the proper check boxes, press "write" when done.
Dave66 is offline Find More Posts by Dave66
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:44 PM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
Canada, NB, Moncton
Joined Jun 2011
1,508 Posts
Quote:
yes i can load a "new" sketch
(like i described above) but then i will have to reset everything in that sketch right?

i do not have the original sketch because this was setup for me before i purchased it .
all i know is what i see in the gui.

do i just mimic whats in the gui now into the new sketch?
You have to edit config.h, setting the model type (Quadx), and the board (Crius se). You also need to define your aux2 pin. But that's pretty much it.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:59 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave66 View Post
I am running a quad with the Crius SE board and choose Arduino Pro or Pro mini(5v, 16MHz) with ATmega 328. Open Arduino 1.01, under TOOLS choose board and com port. Then open 2.1, go through config.h, click save then upload. The board must be plugged in or the software has no place to go.

The baro is ready to go if the board is defined in the sketch, however in config.h you must choose which pin you will use for Aux2, pin 8 or 12, not both. Then your Tx/Rx must be setup. I am assuming Aux 1 is setup for "level".

Then open the GUI and watch the Aux 2 line to see if it moves when you switch it on the Tx, then assign the proper check boxes, press "write" when done.
yes i have level setup already on aux1 ......i was able to get aux2 to move in the gui but baro would not turn on .it must not be defined in the current sketch which is why i am trying to get it figured out .
pin 8 i used and i was able to move aux2 .
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:08 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS00 View Post
You have to edit config.h, setting the model type (Quadx), and the board (Crius se). You also need to define your aux2 pin. But that's pretty much it.
dont i have to set min throttle and max throttle ?
and theres a whole slew of items on the list .

heres what i see under define aux2

/********************************** Aux 2 Pin **********************************/
/* AUX2 pin on pin RXO */
//#define RCAUX2PINRXO

/* aux2 pin on pin D17 (RXLED) */
//#define RCAUX2PIND17

this is what i see in multiwii 2.1 i did not choose a board or anything .
more later i gotta go start dinner...lol.....
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:56 PM
Quads!!
United States, NH
Joined Jul 2012
19 Posts
Since I selected Promini in the Arduino I use Aux2 in the Promini specs, not the Promicro, Atmega32u4 Boards section in config.h.

If Aux 2 moves on the GUI then don't change the sketch. Do you understand how the check boxes work because all you should have to do is highlight high or low, click "write" and baro should come on when you throw the Tx switch.

What brand of SE are you using, Crius, HK, etc? This will make a difference in how you define the board, if Crius then when you define the board you also define the sensors including the baro.

Yeah, there are many things you can change in config.h but get the basic setup first. In the end don't expect much from the the baro, it's ok but not perfect.
Dave66 is offline Find More Posts by Dave66
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:41 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave66 View Post
Since I selected Promini in the Arduino I use Aux2 in the Promini specs, not the Promicro, Atmega32u4 Boards section in config.h.

If Aux 2 moves on the GUI then don't change the sketch. Do you understand how the check boxes work because all you should have to do is highlight high or low, click "write" and baro should come on when you throw the Tx switch.

What brand of SE are you using, Crius, HK, etc? This will make a difference in how you define the board, if Crius then when you define the board you also define the sensors including the baro.

Yeah, there are many things you can change in config.h but get the basic setup first. In the end don't expect much from the the baro, it's ok but not perfect.
crius se

now you said something i have overlooked .

yes i can move aux2 in the gui with my gear switch ,i did set the box both high and low but i never did click "write" (i know i only need select 1 box i am just saying i tried them all)

duh!
i dont remember doing that when i setup the acc(but i am sure i did).my memory is shot ,just ask my wife...lol.....
well i think you might have solved my issue . i hope .i will report back .

yeah i am not expecting alot but i did pay extra to have this board (had this quad built for me)so it just be nice to have the options at my disposal .

while your here helping do you know anything about the dx6i??

while watching the aux channels in "monitor" i see that my gear switch (aux)and throttle are kinda tied together .

when throttle goes high aux goes low and vic versa . i am wondering if that may affect baro when i do get it to switch it in .

i am currently in heli mode .i know i should be in macro , i will try it soon .
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:17 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,902 Posts
well ,well, duh! that was easy . the whole time i was just forgetting to hit "write" .
well its set up now and works in the gui .its all over but the testing .
thank you both for your help .
one good thing did come out of all this .after many hours of research and reading i now at least understand how arduino works..lol.....even though i did not need to use it i now know how should the time come (if i can remember! )
thanks gents.
this is why i love rcgroups and its my 1 stop for everything rc related .
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:42 PM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
Canada, NB, Moncton
Joined Jun 2011
1,508 Posts
Quote:
well ,well, duh! that was easy . the whole time i was just forgetting to hit "write" .
well its set up now and works in the gui .its all over but the testing .
thank you both for your help .
one good thing did come out of all this .after many hours of research and reading i now at least understand how arduino works..lol.....even though i did not need to use it i now know how should the time come (if i can remember! )
thanks gents.
this is why i love rcgroups and its my 1 stop for everything rc related .
Well done

I'm sorry I haven't had more time to help, I am working quite long hours at the moment, and don't get to check the board as often as I'd like.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,902 Posts
oh ,so your back to work now .well thats a good thing .

yeah i tested baro today but its windy as heck today (25 mph gusts and such) so it was hunting up n down .i put a piece of foam over the baro which helped .
it will hold within a couple feet .
its quite windy so i imagine on a calm day it will hold much better .

aha.....my plane has arrived !