HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by trinitygirl, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:46 AM
I Fly Kernow
United Kingdom, England, Cnwll
Joined Apr 2008
16 Posts
Discussion
Time to upgrade all my systems

I have been flying FPV now for over twelve months, I am still using a spektrum DX8 with foxtech vid system and installed in a easystar, but its time to move on.
I have been flying for a lot of years i started with gliders slope soarers etc, built my own radio set whilst still at college, finally advanced to IC helicopters and had a brace of Baron fifty,s and a baron thirty for a good number of years.

I found FPV just over twelve months ago and have not looked back since i love it and have decided i need to advance my hobby further, I know its a guys sport and i do get a few frowns from the occasional person.

Most probably due to my age and gender but its water off a ducks back to me i enjoy the same things you guys do, the freedom of the skies the views in real time and the video,s after.
I wish i had found this side of my sport/ hobby years back

Hence the purchase of one of Thomas,s systems, and further upgrades to come
So if there is any other girls out there please feel free to contact me
I will be putting up my latest build and will post my adventure into high end FPV as it develops.

trinitygirl
trinitygirl is offline Find More Posts by trinitygirl
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:57 PM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
756 Posts
Sounds good. I'm interested to hear what system you recommend for a newcomer to FPV. I've been flying powered models for five years and am an intermediate flyer. My radio is a DX7 and I'm trying to work out a good video frequency and googles for my quad.

thanks
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:15 PM
I Fly Kernow
Joined Apr 2008
16 Posts
my preference

tobermei Hi if i were in your position now i would happily fit 5.8 on your quad with either a skew planer or clover on the plateform and the same on your vrx, I fly quads and tricopters with this set up using my dx8 with no problems.
Just make sure your antenna is either fairly high or beneath your main body on the plateform, 5.8 likes to be seen, i can fly out of los with both my set ups.
I,m using foxtech 200mw vtx on both.
As for goggles i have botched up a seperate vrx with the feed into my goggles which are old vr1400,s but any of the fat sharks can be bought with a 5.8 vrx built in just make sure your vtx you purchase match,es the frequience,s of your prefered goggle vrx.
Also an added thought make sure your antenna circular direction on vtx and vrx match in direction or nothing will work
Of course a straight forward omini will work both ends but will lack a good signal if you bank your model to steeply.
always happy to offer help
regards
trinitygirl
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:37 PM
Joined May 2008
756 Posts
Thanks! Appreciate your advice. If I buy goggles with 5.8 built in, and later decide to go with a different frequency, will I still be able to use those goggles?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:45 PM
I Fly Kernow
Joined Apr 2008
16 Posts
tobermei Yw, i have not had any dealings but i am sure that they can be purchased with 5.8 or 2.4 vrx already fitted i don,t think 1.3, 1.2, or any of the lower bands can be purchased.

if you look up fatsharks i think the modules can be bought seperately

you can always hang a vrx on the strap and feed the vid in that way though, all goggles have a cable feed so any freq can be used but not need to be fitted internally.

like i said earlier make sure your vtx will match on the frequency used on each channel in the vrx in the goggles, there does seem to be a wide variation out there.

i suggest some good browsing sessions

regards
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:46 PM
Joined May 2008
756 Posts
Gotcha, thanks
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:53 PM
I Fly Kernow
Joined Apr 2008
16 Posts
I been informed my TSLRS system is on its way

Brillient looking forward to getting my new gear
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:52 AM
Our Work Is Never Over
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined May 2012
322 Posts
Congrats, if you like FPV check out my blog almost to 100 HD recorded flights=)

Sorry people give you a hard time for being a chick most people avoid me I think its cause with my black cotton trench I look like I am a government man in black...

I have had maybe 5 people approach me in 296 flights with my quad I think most see the cameras and roll. All the people that spoke to me where overly positive and impressed with my setup.

PS: AMA and normal RCer don't like us. we are the black sheep of the family I think your dealings with them is not based on gender but how you fly. which I have stated multiply times in most cases what we do is less dangerous than jimmy flying his 1/4 scale gas plane.

A few FPVer have let it go to there heads and become very dangerous flyers and I think the AMA labels us as all like few bad apples.
Blusky1 is offline Find More Posts by Blusky1
RCG Plus Member