SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:38 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,238 Posts
Cool
StuMax powered BVM Electra Video

Yesterday my bud Eric(husafreak) and I went out flying. I was really excited to see his new StuMax powered BVM Electra fly and shoot some video. The plane and Eric's great flying didn't let me down. It's a truly impressive site to behold, video can never do a plane justice but I hope you get the idea from my video just how bad axx this setup is.... it sounds really nice.

The plane is powered with a Stu Max 110-47 on 12s 5500mah gen ace packs. It rolls on Tam Jets retracts and wheels..... such a cool plane. Enjoy the video

Eric's Stu Max powered BVM Electra (5 min 14 sec)
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:45 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,447 Posts
man, that rocks and sounds wicked! especially during taxi! i couldnt believe the takeoff roll, holy crap that was short!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:07 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jul 2006
576 Posts
Very very nice.
It's quick, it's quiet, it's got good duration, can't ask for more
Congratulations

Chris
icicles is online now Find More Posts by icicles
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:14 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2007
634 Posts
Ron you did a great job filming that, not easy to keep the plane in the video all the time. The Stumax sounded quite a bit quieter in the Electra, then it did in Neils Hunter. Probably sounds even nicer in person then in the video.

Did you get some footage of your hawk
EDF Crazy is offline Find More Posts by EDF Crazy
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:45 AM
The blade numbers go up to 11
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
4,385 Posts
Pretty cool video Ron, and great flying by Eric! Interesting sound, too, you can hear the roar on the ground but in flight the fan sound almost disappears, what's left sounds like the whine of the motor and the wake of the inlet splitter striking the face of the rotor. I'm wondering if increasing the esc PWM will change the sound, and/or cutting nothces in the splitter to break up the wake - we all know the wake sound in Electras flying with EVF's, no difference hear, just a higher frequency, probably about 8-11kHz.

BTW, Neil's Hunter doesn't have inlet ducting, so you get the roar of the inlets adding to it, doesn't seem to hurt its performance, though.

Stu.
stumax is offline Find More Posts by stumax
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:12 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2007
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumax View Post
BTW, Neil's Hunter doesn't have inlet ducting, so you get the roar of the inlets adding to it, doesn't seem to hurt its performance, though.

Stu.
Neils Hunter sounds so nice, i might be temped to leave the intake ducting out of my Hawk if it makes it sound that nice
EDF Crazy is offline Find More Posts by EDF Crazy
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:47 AM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,379 Posts
FWIW, that nose gear looks too long to me. Maybe it's an illusion but it seems to sit at a pretty high AOA on the ground. Might bite hard if not landed in a full stall with the dreaded hopper.
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:08 AM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,305 Posts
ron, power for power ... does the 47 put out more then the 45?
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:08 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,238 Posts
Quote:
man, that rocks and sounds wicked! especially during taxi! i couldnt believe the takeoff roll, holy crap that was short!
It really is something Brent.. here you have IMHO the perfect fan in the perfect plane... it's one of the best combo's I've ever seen

Quote:
Very very nice.
It's quick, it's quiet, it's got good duration, can't ask for more
Congratulations

Chris
I agree on all point Chris... Eric has a real winner on his hands

Quote:
Ron you did a great job filming that, not easy to keep the plane in the video all the time. The Stumax sounded quite a bit quieter in the Electra, then it did in Neils Hunter. Probably sounds even nicer in person then in the video.

Did you get some footage of your hawk
Thanks so much Simon... I'm having fun with video and have to say it may be harder than flying to get good footage. R/C planes don't show in video...It really does sound great in person. I have to get my hawk back in the air next week...it's been awhile.

Quote:
Pretty cool video Ron, and great flying by Eric! Interesting sound, too, you can hear the roar on the ground but in flight the fan sound almost disappears, what's left sounds like the whine of the motor and the wake of the inlet splitter striking the face of the rotor. I'm wondering if increasing the esc PWM will change the sound, and/or cutting nothces in the splitter to break up the wake - we all know the wake sound in Electras flying with EVF's, no difference hear, just a higher frequency, probably about 8-11kHz.

Stu.
Thanks Stu!! I told Eric if he backed that fan up a few inches with a short adaptor the noise level would drop even more... but I think at this point he needs the fan forward for CG and it's nice to hear your fan somewhat if you have an issue.... So I'd say it's a perfect mix right now.

Quote:
FWIW, that nose gear looks too long to me. Maybe it's an illusion but it seems to sit at a pretty high AOA on the ground. Might bite hard if not landed in a full stall with the dreaded hopper.
Chris I know you are a true expert so I will pass it on to Eric....he was having some issue with the plane wanting to land on the nose wheel first so that would make sence... maybe he needs to shorten it up a tad

Quote:
ron, power for power ... does the 47 put out more then the 45?
Yes... I have the 45 and the most I've heard them pushed to is 5000 watts.... Eric is a touch over 6000 watts with this setup. But the electra is so clean and Eric so good with throttle control he is still getting over 5:00 flights with just 5500 mah packs. I will say I like the sound of the 45 better but the new 47 looks to out perform it by a long shot. Eric also has the ESC in the tail cone with an adaptor from Tam Jets
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:14 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,238 Posts
I also have to say I'm really proud of Eric flying jets. He has been flying for many years.. I think 30 he said but never jets until recent. He always enjoyed watching my jets and had interest in them. Being and expert in Heli's and 3D I told him he would be great with jets.
He has flown a habu 32 for a short while and mastered it in about a week

Believe it or not he has only had this electra for a couple weeks and is flying like you see in the video.... I could only imagine where he will take it in a few years.

He is also a full scale airline pilot.... so a true pro all the way around. I like flying with him because he is so calm and cool when he flies.... I get way to wired tight so it's helping me hangin with him.... we all learn from each other
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:19 AM
Team Horizon/ BVM jets
Joined Apr 2006
797 Posts
Looks great. Nice performance!!!!
pbusa1400 is offline Find More Posts by pbusa1400
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:48 AM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101 View Post
Chris I know you are a true expert so I will pass it on to Eric....he was having some issue with the plane wanting to land on the nose wheel first so that would make sence... maybe he needs to shorten it up a tad
Or lengthen the mains if there is room. Do it soon, the hops can rip the nose off
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:28 PM
Swat Team Member
LV, NV
Joined Apr 2003
632 Posts
Great Video

And I even like the music. Thanks for posting it...

P. Richards aka SwatTeam
P. Richards is offline Find More Posts by P. Richards
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:35 PM
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
797 Posts
Thanks for the video Ron. WIll you please tell me what motor is being used in the SM110-47 in this Electra?
Air-Jon is online now Find More Posts by Air-Jon
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:36 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,859 Posts
Good flying Eric!
gunradd is online now Find More Posts by gunradd