Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:01 AM
Air is huge!
France, Midi-Pyrénées, Toulouse
Joined Oct 2011
145 Posts
Discussion
2PES :-) : one more try for Madstab

Hi,

Here is my own try to have a good movment for madstab, smooth and strong at neutral but wide at extremities... This is my prototype:

2PES - 2 Point Exponential System - for madstab. (2 min 9 sec)

What do you think about that?
I would like to use it on a 1,4Kg glider.
pgts is offline Find More Posts by pgts
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:44 AM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,298 Posts
+1 for still using a Futaba Super 7 (my first computer radio).

bjaffee is online now Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:22 AM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
Nice bit of thinking there. Can't wait to se the rear linkage.
mr_editor is offline Find More Posts by mr_editor
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:13 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,908 Posts
Wow, that is seriously clever thinking - great work! I just hope you can make it accurately enough to avoid excessive slop. Do you plan to use a a large travel servo to help here? I'm not an expert, but the programmable Hyperions can get up to 175 degrees of movement...
Rotation (degrees): By default most servos, including ATLAS, have 45 degrees rotation per side (90 degrees total). You may program ATLAS for as little as 15 degrees or as much as 70 degrees rotation per side. (30~140 deg total) Note that ATLAS may safely be driven - using Transmitter travel and mixing adjustments - to a max of 175 degrees total rotation.
(From the Hyperion servo programming guide)
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Oct 09, 2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:09 AM
Livin ...The Endless Summer
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined May 2011
7,019 Posts

rubio
67econoline is online now Find More Posts by 67econoline
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:30 AM
Launchpad McQuack
Netherlands, Moordrecht
Joined Sep 2004
1,132 Posts
Hi PGTS,

Very clever system, well suited to the bigger VTPR planes.
A few months back I've designed a similar system, with a tow wound around an oval cam.

You'll find that adding another 2PES, rotated 90°, to the madstab will give even better expo.

DSCN6138.MOV (0 min 48 sec)

Madcam system (0 min 57 sec)
Prop-er is offline Find More Posts by Prop-er
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:38 AM
Air is huge!
France, Midi-Pyrénées, Toulouse
Joined Oct 2011
145 Posts
Hi,

At rear, I have done something more usual. Well, a little bit more usual:

The aim is just to be able to move for +90°/-90° and to be strong and precise, but nothing special for exponential movment. Everything comes from system at servo as described on Excel sheet shown on my vid. (here attached).

For the servo, now I only have a S3003. With settings on my oldschool FF7 I have +55°/-40°. This will allow me to try my system for elevator up, but I will "only" have 45° down...
On Hyperion servo, I don't know if there is a need to have such a system, since they are supposed to be precise and strong. So maybe only with good settings it could be okay on Hyperion? What do you think about that?
Well it is true I would really like to find a cheap servo able to make +55°/-55° with my equipments...

Yeah Prop-er I saw your system! This is the kind of system which put me on the track about looking for something... Because I guess yours is to light for 1.4Kg glider, but perfect for ultrabatics!
pgts is offline Find More Posts by pgts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:32 AM
Taranis Tyro...
Joined Jan 2004
3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prop-er View Post
A few months back I've designed a similar system, with a tow wound around an oval cam.

You'll find that adding another 2PES, rotated 90°, to the madstab will give even better expo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1X0O...3&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i70N...2&feature=plcp
Wow, this just gets better - extreme taileron control! Very innovative. Three questions, the first two of which may well be related...
  1. In the first vid the right hand cam represents the servo end and the left hand one the tail end, correct? Or is the left hand one an intermediary between the servo cam and a circular disk at the tailplane root?
  2. Above you say that the second 2PES needs to be rotated 90 degrees relative to the first, but in the second video the tail end cam looks to be the same way round as the servo end - I'm obviously missing something here!
  3. How exactly does the cam connect to the linkage itself - does the tow just wind round it, or is there some kind of "hook and eye" setup?
Thanks!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Oct 11, 2012 at 05:24 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:41 AM
Launchpad McQuack
Netherlands, Moordrecht
Joined Sep 2004
1,132 Posts
@Pierre (Best guess!)

That tail end looks great. Nice and solid. Sorry, but I can't help you with your specific radio/servo issue. Maybe it's possible to use a built in offset in your linkage to overcome the asymmetric throws?

@Matty,

1. Correct. In the first video the right hand cam represents the servo end and the left hand one the tail end.
2. You can't actually see the tail cams in the second video. They are very tiny, and buried within the 1/2" wide fuselage. What you can see is the "pick-up" for the removable tail. Pics in the link should clarify this.
3. The tow is connected to the linkage on both tow ends. The tow runs a full rotation around the cam. I put a drop of CA on the tow/cam to prevent slippage.

Vincent
Prop-er is offline Find More Posts by Prop-er
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:27 AM
Taranis Tyro...
Joined Jan 2004
3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prop-er View Post
@Matty,

1. Correct. In the first video the right hand cam represents the servo end and the left hand one the tail end.
2. You can't actually see the tail cams in the second video. They are very tiny, and buried within the 1/2" wide fuselage. What you can see is the "pick-up" for the removable tail. Pics in the link should clarify this.
3. The tow is connected to the linkage on both tow ends. The tow runs a full rotation around the cam. I put a drop of CA on the tow/cam to prevent slippage.

Vincent
Thanks Vincent, much appreciated. Great work! I may well scratch up a OD 2-2.5m ultrabatics ship this winter with a madstab; if I do I'll definitely be using a setup like yours!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:47 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67econoline View Post

rubio
+1