HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:08 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
Discussion
Good starter plane for a 6yr old

Hi, I am brand new to this myself but my 6yr old really wants an RC Airplane (and so would I so double the bonus). I have had a look around online but don't really know what to buy. I have seen a "5CH Skyartec Cessna 182 Li-Po Brushless RTF RC Electric Plane 2.4Ghz BL for $144. It also comes with a free flight simulator. This sounded good to me so I could get my boy to practice online so he doesn't destroy it on the first flight.
Is this sound logic? Does the controller that comes with the plane plug into your computer so you fly the simulator with it?
I would like any advice on what to buy or how to get started.
Thanks in advance for your help!!
Cheers
Baz
baz23 is offline Find More Posts by baz23
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:10 AM
20 years on the Internet
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
797 Posts
Champ...

Blue Skies
Nightstone
Nightstone is offline Find More Posts by Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Downtown Phoenix Skyline
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:45 AM
in the beginning...
United States, MO, De Soto
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
my 8 yr old boy practices with this...
http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dyu-10...FQSe4AodASgAMw
and use the clearview sim.
http://rcflightsim.com/

I'd then recommend the Hobbyzone Champ, if you think he's ready to give a real plane a shot.
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/HBZ4900.html
boats
bm2thirsty is offline Find More Posts by bm2thirsty
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My staple plane the UM P-51
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:12 AM
Joined Jul 2012
43 Posts
i am going to let my 7 year old son have a go with my firebird stratos tonight (once i get it to a suitable altitude). have a look at that, i am confident my son will be able to do well with it, its super easy to fly.
jack3auer is offline Find More Posts by jack3auer
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:34 AM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,196 Posts
My 6y.o. stepson is learning to fly my Stratos and doing okay.
BigIron357 is offline Find More Posts by BigIron357
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:06 AM
looking up down under
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,289 Posts
hobbyzone champ

my ten year old tried it for the first time last week - he was nervous and then exhausted, but we came home with the same number of pieces we went out with, and that's always a great recommendation for a trainer
scruffy1 is offline Find More Posts by scruffy1
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:17 AM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
699 Posts
Ember 2

Flys slow and easy to control plus it's so light weight you get little to no damage if it crashes. Do buy a couple extra prop shafts as that is what you're most likely going to damage. Only downside is it doesn't handle wind very well.
ForsheeMS is offline Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:21 AM
SBP
United States, PA, Waynesboro
Joined Aug 2011
97 Posts
Plane

SlowBipe from Heads Up RC. Got one for the grandaughter, It's easy and fun to fly.
SBP is offline Find More Posts by SBP
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:22 AM
PowerTower
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2009
975 Posts
A sim is a great idea, but don't get fooled into thinking once you can fly on the sim that means you will be okay in reality !
The real thing is another level, you will see when you try it, but sim-time will help you get used to the sticks. Clearview is pretty good and not too costly, there's a free demo version you can download and try out. Good graphics and realistic flight characteristics, worth a look When you do get in the air, have someone experienced help you if possible.
RWData is offline Find More Posts by RWData
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:22 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,747 Posts
The Skyartec Cessna is in no way a suitable plane for a 6 year old. It isn't even suitable for a noob of any age really. Suggestions of the Hobbyzone Champ are good ones as it can crash and not sustain much damage.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:15 PM
Less Work More Play
Australia, VIC, Ferntree Gully
Joined Jan 2012
88 Posts
I agree with the Champ
Here is why
LWMP is offline Find More Posts by LWMP
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:00 AM
Joined Jul 2012
43 Posts
my son flew my stratos pretty well, i got it to a safe height and he got it to do circuits, up, down etc. i needed to correct it once or twice, but he enjoyed himself, and i enjoyed that.

he'll need close help for a while yet, certainly not happy letting him have complete control just yet, but its forgiving, even when you hold the stick right over to the left or right for a long time, which is a massive NO-NO with most planes.
jack3auer is offline Find More Posts by jack3auer
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:43 AM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
Thanks guys, sounds like the hobby zone champ is the way to go. I think I will pop into my local RC store and chat to them too!
Cheers Baz
baz23 is offline Find More Posts by baz23