Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:59 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,681 Posts
Beautifull Joe! The nose is bigger than I thought, should be easy stuffing the servos in ther somewhere
owlsabie is offline Find More Posts by owlsabie
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:37 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,052 Posts
Well, done for the day! Put the wheel in and shaped the nose a little more. YEP...big nose! Must be an Italian design like me!

Next I'll get the bottom half of the nose mounted which is going to be very basic(wood dowels and fasteners) and then I'll work on getting the wing mounted on.

Joe
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:10 PM
Dog is my co-pilot
Denver, CO
Joined Jan 2004
949 Posts
Coming out nice. I like those radiused filler blocks. Keep up the good work.
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:09 AM
Mmmm...balsa dust!
Casa Grande, AZ
Joined Jan 2005
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodini View Post
Speaking of size, this picture gives you a better idea. It's not small, but not crazy big! I don't know who the guy is (if anyone knows, please chime in), but I would guess he has a fiberglass cowl on his. When I talked to Bob Holman, he said he might start making them again....I think if enough guys were interested, he would.
That's Bob G. with his Record Hound at the Eloy S.A.M. contest back in January. More of my Eloy pictures here.

Doug
vintagemxr is offline Find More Posts by vintagemxr
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:38 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Papakura
Joined Nov 2006
362 Posts
Those Eloy pictures are great Doug. Some lovely models there. I'm just making a start into a Spark Ignition model after receiving an Ohlsson 23 through an estate of a modelling buddy. Vintage is my primary interest now and I am enjoying immensely this facet of the hobby.
And a nice build Joe. Watching with interest.
Allen
Teals1 is offline Find More Posts by Teals1
Last edited by Teals1; Oct 14, 2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:58 AM
Joined Sep 2004
4,052 Posts
Darn it Doug....now I have more planes on my "wish list"!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:11 AM
Mmmm...balsa dust!
Casa Grande, AZ
Joined Jan 2005
176 Posts
Quote:
Darn it Doug....now I have more planes on my "wish list"!
It's great fun to see your Record Hound go together. I had in mind to build one at one point and bought the Holman 'glass cowl for it. I've got short kits for the V-Tail Swallow, big Peerless Panther, and 120" Golberg Valkyrie. Not sure I'll ever build them but it's fun to open the boxes and look at the parts.

You can have the cowl for whatever I paid for it, not sure what that is anymore. PM me if you're interested.

Doug
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:01 AM
Joined Sep 2004
4,052 Posts
Thanks for the offer Doug. I'm sure someone out here would like to purchase it from you, if Holman doesn't produce them any more!

I built a Valkyrie two years ago. My favorite plane! Battery went dead during the flight and it did free flight for 20 minutes!
Crashed about 10 blocks away....nosed in from 500 feet! That was probably the most painful crash I've every had! Wish I could build another one, but that Big V is one tough build!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:58 PM
Mmmm...balsa dust!
Casa Grande, AZ
Joined Jan 2005
176 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the offer Doug. I'm sure someone out here would like to purchase it from you, if Holman doesn't produce them any more!

I built a Valkyrie two years ago. My favorite plane! Battery went dead during the flight and it did free flight for 20 minutes!
Crashed about 10 blocks away....nosed in from 500 feet! That was probably the most painful crash I've every had! Wish I could build another one, but that Big V is one tough build!
Oh ouch! I can only guess at what it would be like to put that amount of work into a model and then lose it. I've lost my share over the decades but never anything that had that amount of detailed woodwork in it.

Doug
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:09 PM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemxr View Post
That's Bob G. with his Record Hound at the Eloy S.A.M. contest back in January. More of my Eloy pictures here.

Doug
Nice photos and "lucky" shots of the folding wing.
Two things though, too many Bombers and not enough young people.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Sep 2004
4,052 Posts
Speaking of those photos....what's the name of this plane? I like it!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:27 PM
Mmmm...balsa dust!
Casa Grande, AZ
Joined Jan 2005
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadchucker View Post
Nice photos and "lucky" shots of the folding wing.
Two things though, too many Bombers and not enough young people.
More than luck there. I was there to shoot photos of the event, didn't fly, and had a 300mm lens on my Nikon D90.

The owner of that Bomber had four more just like it and lost three of the five that day, all with folded wings.

The planes had spent some Texas summers locked in a hot cargo trailer and his feeling was that the heat had weakened the the glue. I have several photos of all three planes coming down, one hit about 20 feet from my car. Not wanting to be morbid I didn't post them all of them (he was a real trooper and a gentleman). One more here, my red station wagon in the background.

My apologies to Jodini for the temporary hijack of his excellent build thread. If the crash pics show anything it's that those old planes take a lot of stress and building them takes a lot of work and thought, more than many people are willing to supply these days.

Doug
Last edited by vintagemxr; Oct 15, 2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:12 PM
History Eraser Button?
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Aug 2010
1,006 Posts
Great build and am enjoying the helper input as well. Like others have mentioned, you build fast! Took me +1 month as fast as I could go on my Shereshaw Champion to get as far as you got in 4 days. Beautiful work!!

What's the wingspan and what covering are you thinking about?

John
pomroyj is online now Find More Posts by pomroyj
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:13 PM
History Eraser Button?
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Aug 2010
1,006 Posts
Quote:
Speaking of those photos....what's the name of this plane? I like it!
That is a pretty bird; love the color/covering chioces
pomroyj is online now Find More Posts by pomroyj
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:11 AM
Joined Sep 2004
4,052 Posts
Don't worry about the hijack! Anything old timer related is welcome! It's like watching the "superbowl".....the commercials are the best part!

BTW...that was a great job on catching that crash!

I promise pictures will be coming soon! I hope you guys like the covering job.

I'll tell you one thing...since the frame of this airplane is so light, I can't believe how easy to warp this thing! I covered the wing yesterday, sat it down and said...."What the HECK!?!?!?" The wing was all twisted! So I layed it back down on the table and heated it back up....and luckily it all twisted back out. GRRRRRRRRRR!

I'm covering with ultracote and monocote. I hate the monocote, but I liked the color. You'll see!