SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:24 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
Build Log
Record Hound Bob Holman Short Kit Build - VIDEO ADDED!

There are a few Old Timers that I just love the curves. Big Davis Gull, Diamond Demon, Cobra, and this one...the Record Hound. I always loved that body (looks like a bluegill) and that odd dihedral elevator stab. I've purchased a few of Bob Holman kits and he always does an excellent job with parts.

"The Plan Page" has always been a good source of info and has never let me down.
http://www.theplanpage.com/Months/2303/rh.htm

Let the build begin!
jodini is online now Find More Posts by jodini
Last edited by jodini; Oct 25, 2012 at 08:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:29 PM
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
I looked at the parts I had and decided the fuse looked more difficult to build than the wing, so I decided to get the hard stuff out of the way now. I have not decided how to put in my servos, but it seems like I'll be mounting them to the outside. It's not my favorite method, but with this skinny nose, it might be the easiest.

Step on of the fuse was to build the upper and lower crutch. 3/16 sticks always seem like an odd size, so I purchased a large board of 3/16 and stripped wood from it.

Next was to build the side formers. This is interesting to do because you have to build a upper and lower half.

In the short kit there are few pieces to help out with the fuse, but it's a pretty basic stick build.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:34 PM
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
The pieces that are in the kit are the firewall pieces. This is very helpful because it makes sure you are lined up. To make sure everything was true at this point it was easier for me to sit the fuse on it's nose and square.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:37 PM
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
Next I added the top pieces and added side stringers. The directions ask to sheet the top of the fuse but I opted out of this, mainly because I felt the stingers added enough strength. I will go back later and sheet the front half under the wing.

I decided to put the fuse to the side and build the control surfaces to determine where the servo placement will go.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:45 PM
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
The elevator was a little tricky because I had to remind myself that it has that reverse dihedral (I'm sure there is a name for this...but it escapes me).

I decided to start with the spars, add the ribs and then add the TE and LE. Bob Holman does an excellent job with these pieces, but I enjoy building his Carl Goldberg Sailplane more, because he includes the tampering spars in that kit. This kit had the ribs and most of the TE pieces...which were very nice!

After I built the elevator flat (without the center ribs), I cut the elevator in half, added the ribs (with a angle gadge that I made), sheeted and capped the ribs and then glued the two halves together. The kit came with two dihedral braces, however I had to slot the ribs to accept the larger brace. Seems like Bob forgot to do this...but it was not an issue. I just slotted it with a razor and was ready to glue it in.

I feel that the elevator needs to be relatively strong since it will rest on the ground before and after takeoffs.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:55 PM
Hatters gonna hat.
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
Cool. I didnt realize how big that sucker is till I saw the picture of your hand holding the horizontal stab. I shall watch with interest.
madbomber is offline Find More Posts by madbomber
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:56 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,809 Posts
I feel the same about the model Joe. I have one that needs a good restoration, maybe this winter.
Your off to a good start and I'll be watching with interest.

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:03 PM
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
Thanks guys! Any feedback on servo placement would be appreciated. I'm leaning towards putting micro servos in the tail, but I would hate to put an eye sore on such a pretty fuse.
Joe
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:09 PM
Dog is my co-pilot
Joined Jan 2004
1,005 Posts
That's a cool project and a very distinctive design. Have fun, we'll be watching as always.
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:20 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodini View Post
The elevator was a little tricky because I had to remind myself that it has that reverse dihedral (I'm sure there is a name for this...but it escapes me)..
Anhedral is the word you're looking for. Nice build so far....
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:36 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkphantom View Post
Anhedral is the word you're looking for. Nice build so far....
That's the one Gary - one of the famous Hedral sisters - Di, Polly and Ann!
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
HA! Ann Hedral! That's her!

Thanks Gary....
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:42 AM
"Butchering Balsa since 1971"
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodini View Post
HA! Ann Hedral! That's her!

Thanks Gary....
Don't know Ann, but I know Polly, and her uncle "Dutch" Roll...

Jodini, you picked a bird from my wanna-build list. Looking very good so far!!
CashRC is offline Find More Posts by CashRC
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:21 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,784 Posts
Looking good Joe, always enjoy following your builds. How you going to power it?
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:08 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,352 Posts
Thanks for the PM letting me know about this Record Hound build.

So far you've pretty much mimic'ed the exact way I built mine.

In my case the servos are located up under the wing with pushrods to the tail. Back when I built mine prior to 1990 micro servos were simply not as easily available for as cheap as we can find now. So I went with two regualar size servos mounted on a couple of 1/2x1/8 ply cross beams that are glued to the lower side of the main crutch. under the rear half of the wing saddle area. At the tail to hook to the two stabilizer halves I put a "T" cross piece on the end of the pushrod so the ends of the "T" stick out a small slot on each side of the tail. THen two short wire pushrods with ball ends connect the end of the T to the elevators. The rudder is simply hooked up with a regular style pushrod that "Z" bends through a slot in the side.

I'll get some pictures posted in a while of what I've described.

Don't worry about the short nose. You WANT to balance the model back around 50 to 60% for best glide performance so the nose is not as short as you would expect once this is taken into account. With my original ferrite can motor and battery pack mounted to the front of the firewall I actually had to add 2.5 oz of TAIL weight. And that was despite subsituting spruce for hard balsa for the main crutch and keel longerons as well as the stabilizer main spar to better support the tip landing wheels.

My own red and brown version shown in the picture in your first post came in at 54 oz ready to fly with the 05 gear drive motor and 7 subC nicads. THe plan is to update the motor and pack to brushless and Lipo. My calculations sugggest that I'll lose 10'ish oz of motor and battery weight as well as being able to remove the 2.5 oz of tail weight. So that'll drop the ol' girl down to around 42 oz. It's already a rather stately floater at 54 oz so at 42'ish it'll be a real champ and a half at light lift days.

Sadly it's not a clean airframe what with the big deep cowl and undercambered airfoil. Not to mention that the big fixed prop wants to windmill at higher gliding speeds. But if flown in calm to moderate 5 to 7 mph winds it does well.

I cheated a bit with the cowl. I made it up from a lump of white styrofoam which was then epoxy-glassed then the foam melted out. To gain the frequent access to the battery area and wing rubber bands it was then cut in two and dress snaps used to hold it to the model and the two halves to each other. Again, I'll do some pictures to show you as soon as I can dig out the model and photograph it.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews