HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2003, 10:51 AM
state college, pa
Joined Aug 2002
326 Posts
Ok, here's the email I sent out. Thanks for sending it back Mr. Graham.

Hi,
First of all, I'd like so express how nice it is of you to give away a free heli... GO HOBBY-LOBBY!!!!

That being said, I think I'll just start off with a short bio of myself, I hope you don't get too bored

Well, I live in central PA and moved here from dayton Ohio, near the airforce base. I got interested in model aircraft when I was about 11 (I'm now 14). My first plane was a glow 40 sized trainer that I built from a Great Planes kit. I learned to fly that with help from a member of the local club, and soon after that I got more interested in electrics, and I bought a park flyer and an indoor model used. Over the summer, I crashed my glow trainer so im now totally electric. I've been looking into the micro heli's for a little while now, and had pretty much deemed them too expensive. (I won't go into any sob story, but I am a bit hard on cash). I have never flown a heli, or even seen a micro in real life, although I have seen some larger ones at the club feild. I am also in TSA, a club for kids who pretty much like to do tech related stuff. There are competitions at the regional, state, and national level, and 40-something contests to compete in. If you want more info, go to: http://www.tsawww.org/ I am making an indoor plane to enter in one of the contests, but I would probably do better using a heli. I'm not sure if my instructor would let me use it or not, i'd have to check.
So what would I do with this heli to help out e-zone? I was thinking about a newbie's guide to setting up and crashing (or maybe flying) a heli. I have a digital camera that would be perfect for the job.
Hope I didn't bore you out of your mind, I can talk about myself for hours.

If this email sound jumbled and brainless, it's because it's early for me, and
I got up before school to write this.
Thanks again,
Ben Pipenberg

And now some other ideas I thought about after that email. I could hand paint a canopy in hobby-lobby dress if you wouldn't mind me taking the logo aff the web, and I was also thinking about setting up an indoor club within our local club, and this heli would probably entice them to get micro heli's too (they are easily suduced by the latest technological marvels like the rest of us).
Also, I thought of something else to do for TSA with a helicopter- make a little aerial drop module out of the Bit cars radio systems that the indoor guys are using to make planes out of. It probably wouldn't be much more than 5 or 10 grams. Would this heli be able to handle that? I'm guessing yes? Actually, the more I think about it, the more I like this idea... Off to the drawing board for me Even if I don't get the heli, it would still be a fun project.
Thanks again,
Ben
RC_AV8R_181 is offline Find More Posts by RC_AV8R_181
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2003, 10:56 AM
Deep Sea
OFallon, MO
Joined Jul 2001
609 Posts
Jim,
Email sent
Eric
Navy Diver is offline Find More Posts by Navy Diver
Old Dec 05, 2003, 11:03 AM
Razor Saver Man
San Bernardino, CA
Joined Jul 2003
435 Posts
All I want for Christmas is my Heli-copter, my Heli-copter, my Heli-copter, Tha-Tha-Tha-Thats all Folks.
Jblk9695 is offline Find More Posts by Jblk9695
Old Dec 05, 2003, 05:45 PM
Tn
Joined Aug 2003
230 Posts
Hey JIM!!!!! Give it to meeeeeeee Pleeeaaasse!!!!!! I am poor and always broke and don't have enough money to buy anything... I need this heli... I can come out and let you guys take the pictures and even share MY NEW little heli...
Ben McCoy is online now Find More Posts by Ben McCoy
Old Dec 05, 2003, 06:26 PM
Oak Harbor, Oh
Joined Jun 2001
663 Posts
Jim,

I've just got hovering down after 2 months with my Hummingbird and this would be perfect since the HB is starting to look a little (a lot) worn.

thanks.

Tim Hartigan
T_Hartigan is offline Find More Posts by T_Hartigan
Old Dec 05, 2003, 06:27 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Pleeeassseee..oh PLEASE do NOT give the helicopter to me! I absolutely refuse to take it! You cannot PAY me to take it! I flatly refuse to even consider taking it! I do NOT want it at all!
I forbid your even thinking of giving it to me!

(reverse psychology)

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old Dec 05, 2003, 10:16 PM
state college, pa
Joined Aug 2002
326 Posts
Hmm, repeat for some reason. Strange it got sent out so long after the original...
Ben
RC_AV8R_181 is offline Find More Posts by RC_AV8R_181
Last edited by RC_AV8R_181; Dec 06, 2003 at 11:09 AM.
Old Dec 06, 2003, 07:31 AM
http://davelab.rchomepage
Sandy, Utah
Joined Dec 2003
473 Posts
Golden Years

I just sent you an email and hope my grandson and I win!
davelab is offline Find More Posts by davelab
Old Dec 06, 2003, 10:06 AM
Joined Feb 2003
3,755 Posts
two words:

FREE BEER!
Xnaron is offline Find More Posts by Xnaron
Old Dec 06, 2003, 01:27 PM
Surrey BC, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
876 Posts
Great idea Jim

I hope who ever gets this little heli will enjoy it and give us a full review on how it fly's.

Colin
Gonzo007 is offline Find More Posts by Gonzo007
Old Dec 06, 2003, 02:21 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
Gonzo-

I'm with you.. I think a few people are forgetting that this is essentially a "review" opportunity, not just a free heli.
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Dec 06, 2003, 08:14 PM
Montgomery, AL
Joined Dec 2003
45 Posts
Hey Keith! How'd SUpergirl handle that Casull?!
BMiracleZ28 is offline Find More Posts by BMiracleZ28
Old Dec 06, 2003, 08:41 PM
Birmingham, Alabama, United States
Joined Nov 2003
153 Posts
Like a pro!.. Kept a firm grip and printed every shot.. heh.. but FIVE shots were "enough" for her.

She's got her very own HK USP9, now.
Keith Buckner is offline Find More Posts by Keith Buckner
Old Dec 06, 2003, 09:03 PM
Red Springs, N.C.
Joined Nov 2003
7 Posts
I have been in r/c for about 6 months, started with a trainer as most do, joined a club, and took lessons. After 3 short flight lessons, I managed to start flying solo, taking off and landing. Over the last 6 months I have become a decent pilot I think. The main reason I got into r/c is I have always wanted, (But not been able to afford) to fly R/C Helis since I was a kid. Why did I start with a Trainer fixed wing you may ask? I felt that it would benefit me in the long run with the experience, and far less costly to replace. As I am not an experienced Heli pilot, we do have Heli Pilots in my club that would be willing to assist me in learning to fly one, and I can give a great review to how well the Aero-Hawk performs as a first heli, along with photos and video, and endorce the fact that Hobby-Lobby made it possible for me. I thank you for the opportunity to apply for this honor, and wish all who apply the best of luck. I know Hobby-Lobby is going to make one individual very happy.
The_Matrix is offline Find More Posts by The_Matrix
Last edited by The_Matrix; Dec 07, 2003 at 12:12 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2003, 09:01 AM
Administrator
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2002
11,366 Posts
I'm going to pick someone in the next few days. Keep your fingers crossed!
Jim T. Graham is online now Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator