HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:45 PM
Iceland
Joined May 2012
99 Posts
Discussion
How to make Seaplane fire resistant?

So like there is this volcano near where I live and i was thinking of flying over it with fpv, since its kinda active I'm thinking its got heat coming out of it. Do you think spraying the bottom of my seaplane with fire retardant would shield it from any heat waves it may encounter?
GuerillaFilm is offline Find More Posts by GuerillaFilm
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:05 AM
Joined Jan 2012
11 Posts
If you're going to fly over an active volcano, no amount of treatment is going to preserve the integrity of the foam, or possibly the electrics.
Do you have foam safe, spray on fire retardant in Iceland
jteee is offline Find More Posts by jteee
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:55 AM
Joined Sep 2007
643 Posts
Foam retardant is to prevent a surface from combusting. It will not do much to prevent heat rise. Active magma radiates a lot of heat. You have to assume that your plane will absorb 50-90% of the energy that reaches it. You are in a thermal balance between the heat flux warming the plane and the air around it cooling the plane. You need to figure out the thermal balance point where the energy in equals the energy out. This not a simple problem to figure out.

I don't know how close to the volcano you want to be but higher will obviously keep you cooler.

I was in Iceland this summer, fanastic scenery, which one are you planning to fly over, Eyjafjallajokull?
BJM-Maxx is offline Find More Posts by BJM-Maxx
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:28 PM
Fla.
Joined Apr 2005
979 Posts
KEEP IT IN THE WATER !!! lol ENJOY !!! Red
redh is offline Find More Posts by redh
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:22 PM
Seaplane Nerd
Joined Jan 2005
837 Posts
If you are flying through superheated gases, you can't do much to help. Otherwise, chrome monokote on the bottom will reflect a lot of IR-protecting itself and the airframe.
JimCasey is offline Find More Posts by JimCasey
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Mar 2012
94 Posts
Are you for real?

Are you seriously wanting to attempt something like that?
Beemerider is offline Find More Posts by Beemerider
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:51 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
Aluminum foil tape (for duct-work) will radiate most of the heat (at a weight penalty), but you might have to mount your antenna external to keep it from being shielded.

Any kind of Monokote will shrink in the heat, warping your plane.

Aside from protecting the outside of the plane, your electronics' temperatures will climb quickly. Battery, motor and ESC could overheat unless you have some way to cool them.

It might be a matter of strategy... gain your altitude in cold air, then throttle down and glide over the volcano, catching thermals and updrafts as you go... so the motor is not running while you are in the heat.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Last edited by warhead_71; Nov 07, 2012 at 04:02 PM.