SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:58 AM
mostly gliders
Skellefteċ, Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly View Post
Thanks for the interest, get your equipment ordered, fuselages will be here before Christmas...It looks like Lubos has just made a great Sailplane even better! Can't help but be smiling with so many competent glider flyers lining up to kick my butt in ALES
Hello Larry
I must ask if you sell the Aspire, for what firm if so?

/Ville
liukku is offline Find More Posts by liukku
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,925 Posts
Ville,
I do represent Lubos in the US. You can reach me privately at ljolly@aol.com.
LJ
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:30 AM
mostly gliders
Skellefteċ, Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
965 Posts
Quote:
Ville,
I do represent Lubos in the US. You can reach me privately at ljolly@aol.com.
LJ
Thank you Larry for the info, good to know if we meet sometime and I need help or replacement parts. Have seen that you have offered your settings for Aspire, do you think I can get them?
My email adress is viljo56(at)gmail.com

regards

/Ville
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by liukku; Oct 16, 2012 at 06:32 AM. Reason: adding info
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:08 PM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2009
58 Posts
Hello Larry

This is my ballast solution for Aspire , this is my heavy plane for windy conditions 2,2kg . Each tube have 10 x 340mm in dural have 60g each , in brass 150g each tube . Power unit Mega 16/35/3 direct drive for heavy plane 2,2 kg and Mega 16/25/4 direct drive for light plane 1,85k kg .

BM
fly-up85 is offline Find More Posts by fly-up85
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:02 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,925 Posts
Thanks BM,
Sweet setups in your Aspires. This one was for ALES since this has the most interest in the US now. My next one will be for F5J.. This will have a different setup and definitely be set up for ballast. I will look you up when I move into J.. Thanks for sharing
LJ
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:27 PM
mostly gliders
Skellefteċ, Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly-up85 View Post
Hello Larry

This is my ballast solution for Aspire , this is my heavy plane for windy conditions 2,2kg . Each tube have 10 x 340mm in dural have 60g each , in brass 150g each tube . Power unit Mega 16/35/3 direct drive for heavy plane 2,2 kg and Mega 16/25/4 direct drive for light plane 1,85k kg .

BM
Hello fly-up85
Looking good. Can you give some more data about your setup? Do you have any numbers of the climbing performance on your Aspire?
I will post my setup as soon as I can although it is in the testing stage yet.

/Ville
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:02 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,359 Posts
I will have my electric Aspire flying in a week or so---but I am going for a bit more power No wimpy drive systems for me---1800 watts and a 20/15 prop. I have a 5S 1600 pack--yes it fits just fine---and a 1110/1.5Y/6.7 motor and gear drive with a ICE 100 controller. Full power current should be just north of 130 amps. Static thrust will be over 300 oz--just enough for good fun. Weight will be a few oz more than the floater setups--but a few oz on a plane with that much area is not going to have a major impact.

Steve
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:51 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
What took you so long to show up Steve??? And those 1600 cells sound perfect for the 7 cell/2s 1506/1D motor...
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:29 PM
W0X0F
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2005
1,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneu View Post
I will have my electric Aspire flying in a week or so---but I am going for a bit more power No wimpy drive systems for me---1800 watts and a 20/15 prop. I have a 5S 1600 pack--yes it fits just fine---and a 1110/1.5Y/6.7 motor and gear drive with a ICE 100 controller. Full power current should be just north of 130 amps. Static thrust will be over 300 oz--just enough for good fun. Weight will be a few oz more than the floater setups--but a few oz on a plane with that much area is not going to have a major impact.

Steve
Thanks Steve, now I don't feel bad about squeezing 1000 watts out of my 1110/2.5D/6.7 18X13 on a 65C 4S 1300ma with a CC Ice Lite 75 (80a static).
IBWALT is offline Find More Posts by IBWALT
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:31 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,461 Posts
I wonder if the design has changed? The RFM spinner I just received looks quite sturdy...the actual spinner cone has four large molded carbon fillets that engage the yoke and it looks like plenty of epoxy is used.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWALT View Post
Larry, nice job. I would only add one comment about your choice of spinner. The RFM spinners look great but they are attached to the yoke with a skim of epoxy. With the bumps and bounces involved in landing the spinner is prone to separate from the yoke.
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:53 PM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewatson View Post
I wonder if the design has changed? The RFM spinner I just received looks quite sturdy...the actual spinner cone has four large molded carbon fillets that engage the yoke and it looks like plenty of epoxy is used.

Tom
The mode of failure is typically that the epoxy breaks away clean from the aluminum hub. I have never broken a spinner per se. But I have had the spinner break loose from the hub on several occasions.

Happy Landings,

Don
dharban is online now Find More Posts by dharban
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,925 Posts
Great Job Steve,
Please let me know when I can pick up that motor box combination. Let me know when you are going to fly I will go out with you.
Don are you coming down to the TNT???
Good luck with your model Tom.
By the way in my build I cut the Red wire on the ICE ESC because I ran a separate RX pack. I now advise you to leave the ESC intact so that you can program the ESC from a computer. So cut the wire on the CAM side of the junction. LJ
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:25 PM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,691 Posts
Quote:
Great Job Steve,
Please let me know when I can pick up that motor box combination. Let me know when you are going to fly I will go out with you.
Don are you coming down to the TNT???
Good luck with your model Tom.
By the way in my build I cut the Red wire on the ICE ESC because I ran a separate RX pack. I now advise you to leave the ESC intact so that you can program the ESC from a computer. So cut the wire on the CAM side of the junction. LJ
Larry,

I'll be at TNT.

DON
dharban is online now Find More Posts by dharban
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:13 PM
W0X0F
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2005
1,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewatson View Post

Tom
The design has not changed Tom. The spinner is attached to the smooth sides of the aluminum yoke with epoxy. There are no holes, dimples nor does the surface of the yoke where the bonding takes place appear to be roughed up. I'm not so worried about the spinner separating from the yoke on landing but should it become partially detached on a landing and then get slung off during power up. I'm sure you would agree that a cf spinner losing its bond to the yoke and being struck by a prop turning somewhere near 6k rpm could hurt someone.
IBWALT is offline Find More Posts by IBWALT
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:30 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly-up85 View Post
Hello Larry

BM
I'm really interested in your setups for F5J.
I have narrow fuses in my F3J models which I want to electrify.
For this reason an outrunner is not a good option for me and geared setups are expensive. I'm looking for good inrunner solutions and these two motors are very interesting since they must be working and working well if you are using them.
What props and batteries are you using for both of these motors?
How much power are you getting out of these setups?
What climb rates?
Can you also give some information about the spinner, It's unknown to me.

Roy
roydor is offline Find More Posts by roydor