Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:27 PM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
Discussion
Singapore-anyone have any experience there?

My wife recently applied for a job in Singapore. Not sure how much of a chance she has of getting it, but we still need to consider things now in case she is offered the job

Just wondering if anyone has any experience living there, and can make comparisons to Australia for me? I guess I'm trying to get my head around the high rent prices, but then they have low taxes

Also wondering for play time if there is anywhere to fly RC, and also how easy it is to go fishing? Plenty of water, but I wasn't sure if they are crazy controlling on access to water etc.

How easy is it to pop up to Malaysia if I wanted to spend a weekend there fishing or whatnot?

Any ideas on lifestyle also, or anything else to consider would be great

Thanks in advance

Stu
discostu956 is offline Find More Posts by discostu956
Last edited by discostu956; Oct 08, 2012 at 06:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:39 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,783 Posts
Don't chew gum, it's illegal.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:48 AM
Australia
Joined Oct 2000
1,220 Posts
Pop over to Fook Hai building.. in Chinatown
http://shop.singahobby.com/?q=node/3
In the building there are 6 - 7 hobby shops
and they have a big club I think given to them
by the govt.....

http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/show...ok-Flying-Club
MartinL is online now Find More Posts by MartinL
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:35 AM
CRASHING IS THE EASY PART
Australia, NSW, Oatley
Joined Sep 2011
708 Posts
I went there about 7 years ago but only for a few day while I was in transit
All I can say is its bloody hot there stinking hot..
And you won't find Singapore noodles there its a lie it was one thing I really wanted
MclF1 is offline Find More Posts by MclF1
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:47 AM
Beating air into submission!
Joined Aug 2011
1,855 Posts
Only two season, the wet season and the not so wet!
GrahamWilson is offline Find More Posts by GrahamWilson
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:31 AM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
Thanks Martin. Thats a big help to know there is enough RC going on there. Still trying to figure out the fishing situation, but it seems Malaysia isn't that far and should be plenty of that there.

I've heard the weather described as wet season, and the rest of the year Graham! Funny to hear it mentioned once again, sounds almost depressing.

Noodles don't bother me at least!

Cheers guys
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:09 AM
knee ligaments are over rated
Melbourne , Outer East .
Joined Dec 2003
2,539 Posts
Malaysia

Fishing is very popular in Malaysia . People can be seen fishing in the smallest of streams & ponds in very busy suburbs . There`s some good charters available also . Some great sailfish waters are there . Weather was hot but I liked it . No real defined wet or dry season but some intense afternoon thunder storms . Food is great & cheap . People are nice , I felt safe there ( lived & worked there for 2 years ) The one thing I hated was the traffic . Big traffic jams & gridlocks are too common .
dingo is offline Find More Posts by dingo
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:43 PM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
Cheers Dingo. Is it in Malaysia that I have heard that people fish for prawns with a tiny hook? The person who was telling me that also talked about people fishing in the smallest little ponds and creeks, anywhere where there was water was fair game.

Mate is planning a group trip to rompin to chase the sails, he was there a few weeks ago and said it was insane. Being a hard core rock fisho I'm keen to see if I could chase a few speedsters off the rocks/shore
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:03 AM
Model Bender
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2004
2,869 Posts
wait wait wait... your wife moves to malaysia to work her butt off in a stinking hot country.. she probably won't see you for weeks at a time, is probably going to spend the majority of her pay for a tenancy smaller than most peoples closets....

And the few days you spend visiting her, she lets you go rock fishing and flying?

Wow, where can I get one of those
OzDragonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzDragonFlyer
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:03 AM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
Wait wait, its singapore, not malaysia. But apart from that, yeah-sounds pretty spot on

Nah, I would be moving over with her. Can't split the family up for that long. I'm not working at the moment either, so its no change for me.

I think the package is supposed to include accomodation, but I'm not sure what standard or size it is. If not suitable we might be able to get them to put that amount toward something more appropriate

She has obviously only just applied, so there is nothing really happening yet. I'm just trying to get a feel for things in case she is successful with this application, would rather not rush it all then
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:22 AM
knee ligaments are over rated
Melbourne , Outer East .
Joined Dec 2003
2,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu956 View Post
Cheers Dingo. Is it in Malaysia that I have heard that people fish for prawns with a tiny hook? The person who was telling me that also talked about people fishing in the smallest little ponds and creeks, anywhere where there was water was fair game.

Mate is planning a group trip to rompin to chase the sails, he was there a few weeks ago and said it was insane. Being a hard core rock fisho I'm keen to see if I could chase a few speedsters off the rocks/shore
I saw people fishing in what I would consider drains . They`d catch fish in them to , very small fish . I never saw the small hook for prawns fishing but wouldn`t doubt it .
Come to think of it I never saw rocky out crops in the water , so don`t know how you`d go rock fishing . I never spent time in Johor Baru though ( just over the bridge from Singapore )
dingo is offline Find More Posts by dingo
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:09 AM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
I'll take my own rocks over then!!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:46 PM
...only the depth varies...
Australia, VIC, Yarra Glen
Joined Sep 2012
18 Posts
Great place! Good tax relief compared to Oz, and decent wages for an expat....many Companies offer excellent packages for families (education etc).

Rent is high, buying a place almost prohibitive (similar to Hong Kong), but not as prohibitive as trying to own a car. Cost of living can be as low, or as high, as you want. Just depends where you shop for necessities. I have never lived in Singapore but have spent significant time there, and now visit regularly.

Fantastic local food at Maxwell Road, one of the better hawker stall places...lots of variety at reasonable prices, and away from the more touristy places. A favourite Indian restaurant is Muthu's on Racecourse Road (go the fresh lime juice...or pints of Tiger )

I can put you in touch with locals you can give you more detailed info on the best places to live, shop etc....PM me for more details, if required.

cheers,

GB
Goingboeing is offline Find More Posts by Goingboeing
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:34 PM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
The tax breaks sound pretty awesome actually, I can see why so many companies do stuff over there.

I'll wait and see if things progress any further with her application before hassling you or anyone else. If things move along I will get in contact for sure. Appreciate the help and information
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:25 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,473 Posts
stick one of these in your suit case a blow up boat
gazza2003au is offline Find More Posts by gazza2003au