HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:55 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo View Post
I intend to get back into flying after a break and want to start with a foamie sloper. I guess things have changed a bit since my PMP Stiletto and I just wondered what the consensus is on the best epp foam glider kit of the moment is?
I would second the votes for the Moth and M60 (or if you don't mind the fus being crunchy the Raven). I've flown a lot of foamie wings (Halfpipes of both sizes, Weasels, Alulas, Skuas etc) and if I could only pick one it would be the Moth 48; it's such a flexible, well mannered thing and flies in a massive range of conditions. Perfection, and available in the UK from T9... (though out of stock at the moment it seems)
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My OpenTX Taranis templates...
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:00 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
25,919 Posts
I've seen some of the Torrey guys do some great flying with a Multiplex Easy Glider modified with four-servo wings.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:40 AM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,157 Posts
good link

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wenban View Post
www.windrider.com.hk

Look at the Bee
or www.dreamflight.com and get a weasel
but as your in the UK ,http://www.angelfire.com/sports/saseppmodels/
check out wild thing seems to be the foam of choice there
The SAS videos were a real hoot and models sure can take a good whack !
thanks for the link.

the one about flying to the pub was the best...
jswain is online now Find More Posts by jswain
Last edited by jswain; Oct 09, 2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:56 AM
Boo
Joined Dec 2004
150 Posts
If it was between the NCFM HP60 and the UberMoth, which would it be ? Please ignore building related variables, I am strictly interested in the flying qualities of these models, and specifically the speed and general "zip" factor (within the constraints of EPP bounceability).

Thanks,

Boo
Boo is offline Find More Posts by Boo
Last edited by Boo; Oct 10, 2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:03 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
25,919 Posts
Uber.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:23 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
22,650 Posts
Uber or the Raven thats hard to split
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: done
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:02 PM
isoaritfirst
Not a Brummie/but close
Joined Sep 2005
1,402 Posts
My experience - out of over 10 different owned foamies and probably another 10 that I have flown

Gulp SR60
Add in that they are relatively cheap and its a no brainer. Best by some mileage IMO.

They may be some that are better in certain areas - Bluto an dReaper for example - but all round best -- GULP SR
isoaritfirst is offline Find More Posts by isoaritfirst
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:37 PM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,446 Posts
Quote:
If it was between the NCFM HP60 and the UberMoth, which would it be ? Please ignore building related variables, I am strictly interested in the flying qualities of these models, and specifically the speed and general "zip" factor (within the constraints of EPP bounceability
I used to own and HP60 and it was great in big air, but below 15 it will be beaten by standard Moths and M60s. The Moth also has a better handling balance and is probably a mite easier to setup. Just my 2ps worth...
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Oct 11, 2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:45 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,680 Posts
Quote:
If it was between the NCFM HP60 and the UberMoth, which would it be ? Please ignore building related variables, I am strictly interested in the flying qualities of these models, and specifically the speed and general "zip" factor (within the constraints of EPP bounceability).

Thanks,

Boo
An UberMoth flies like a ballasted Moth. It's sleek (bit funny looking with the tiny fuse)
and tends to build up heavy because the battery pack is in the wing, and can't be used
to help balance the plane, so still need a bunch of lead up front. While you'll love
the way it flies, when the conditions support it, it's not quite as versatile as the regular
Moth, built with a ballast tube.

The M60 has lower wing loading and is larger, so it'll *look* slower even when it's moving
around at a good clip unbalasted. The M60's CG is very critical for good performance
and the control surfaces are so big that total elevator throw will be about 1/8 inch end to end.
Unballasted it'll slow down a fair bit, if you abuse the ailerons (try to roll fast).
Ballasted up it flies wonderful and you'll never want to fly it any other way, but
then it's big plane that lands fast and heavy, and can beat itself up pretty easily.

The Moth is just a great all-rounder. Unballsted, it thermals, and flits about in light air, and
ballasted it'll go ballistic. Pretty easy to land in a tight LZ and I've even taken to
hand catching it. Here's my 18oz Moth (unballasted) in pretty good lift.
High Energy (2 min 58 sec)

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Oct 11, 2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:35 AM
Boo
Joined Dec 2004
150 Posts
Hi,

Well, the die is cast and I've ordered the last UberMoth T9 had in stock. Not cheap, eh...

If I could ask a supplemental question : I'd be very grateful if someone could point me to a thread where modern building techniques are discussed together with the pro's and cons of the alternatives. I'm specifically interested to know about the uses and whyfores of Goop. I saw a post which said to search on Goop and M60 but that threw up loads of posts that only somewhat explained it.

Thanks,

Boo
Boo is offline Find More Posts by Boo
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:10 PM
S.L.O.P.E.
San Diego
Joined May 2005
3,309 Posts
Boo-

the ubermoth should come with very, very detailed instructions from NCFM. the Uber doesn't require Goop (usually the Goop would go on the fuse of the original moth or M60). Uber has the urethane nosecone.

Greg- (who loves his Uber and is building a Raven- Ubers big brother)
howsthewind is offline Find More Posts by howsthewind
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:27 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,680 Posts
For whatever it's worth, when building a Moth or M60, I throw a layer of thinned Goop on the raw
EPP over the leading edge and tips of the wing. That strengthens the cut foam a bit.
Rest of wing construction is pretty much stock.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:18 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2003
2,924 Posts
Take your time on the wing build. It has to be dead on straight. The TE can get warped if you are not careful in the covering phase. Nail your CG. These are sensitive ships, but are so much fun when they are built righ!. After reading this, I think I may have to build up yet another Moth!

Andy
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:28 AM
Riverside CA
Joined Feb 2001
883 Posts
The uber moth is easy to convert into a two piece wing. The ballast tube can be coverted into a joiner. The hollow joiner then can contain the ballast. If I had to do again I would use
MKS DS6100 for servos.

G
garyg4rc is offline Find More Posts by garyg4rc
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:34 AM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,668 Posts
I've heard some nice things about the Kaze 40 and Kaze 55....lololol.
FSD is offline Find More Posts by FSD
RCG Plus Member