HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:27 PM
Closed Account
Joined Oct 2012
20 Posts
Help!
Need some plane suggestions

Ive been looking for either a Dynam Hawk Sky or a Hobbyking Bixler. The problem is i live in Sweden and every plane is so expensive here! If i want to buy a Hawk Sky it costs about $240 here. The bixler, with shipping would cost about $190.

Which of these planes, or any else, would you recommend? I have flyed a 3ch before and used a flight simulator pretty much so i feel ready for a 4ch.

Thanks!

/Nils
Fltoig is offline Find More Posts by Fltoig
Last edited by Fltoig; Oct 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:30 PM
Closed Account
Joined Oct 2012
20 Posts
Also, one option is to buy the bixler ARF and a Turnigy 9x as transmitter with a charger, battery and esc for about the same Price as a Hawk Sky would be here in Sweden.

What would you say about this?
Last edited by Fltoig; Oct 08, 2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:56 PM
Joined Jul 2012
68 Posts
Planes

Not sure what your budget is for a plane but you will see several recommendations from different people but here is what I recommend and this is based on my experiance.

3 channel trainers: Both the Horizon Hobby Super Cub or Firebird Stratos are very good planes. (My first plane was the Firebird Stratos)

4 channel Trainers: I really like the E-Flight Apprentice or the Flyzone Sensei. I have two friends that have both of these planes and they are both very nice. The Sensei is less expensive than the Apprentice but still a very nice plane plust it has a built in drop box.

Again just my opinions but all of these mentioned planes come as RTF and and some come as ARF's as well.

Good luck and welcome back to the FUN

Josh
JBFlyer85 is offline Find More Posts by JBFlyer85
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:08 PM
Closed Account
Joined Oct 2012
20 Posts
Thanks!
Well, my budget is about $200 for everything. But i could stretch it a little if i get like a Good tx that i can use in the future.

Those planes you suggest, i have been thinking about buying them but i do Think an EasyStar "look-a-like" seems to be the best, am i wrong?
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:20 PM
Joined Jul 2012
68 Posts
Planes

Well, I cant say that any one is better than the other. I have read good reviews on the EasyStars but have never had one. They seem to get good reviews from what I read.

Base ur purchase on two things... Make sure its something you do like and just read the reviews before you purchase it. I wish I could give you more details on the Easystar but like I said. I cant give you any opinions as I've never own one.
The reason I say make sure its something you like is because then, even when you progress to something more advanced you always have your "Trainer" and can still enjoy flying it as well.

Even though I fly my Cessna Corvalis and P-51 Mustang, every now and then I still pull out my Firebird Stratos and enjoy flying it as well, plus Its my trainer I let my friends starting out fly as well.

Josh
JBFlyer85 is offline Find More Posts by JBFlyer85
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:12 PM
Closed Account
Joined Oct 2012
20 Posts
Thanks again for the tips!

I do think both the Hawk Sky and the Bixler looks awesome and i might get one of them. However i do not need to hurry cause its fall right now which means Windy and rainy. Then it gets Cold, Windy and snowy, so plenty of time to search for a Good plane before the good weather comes

I might by an ARF and by a tx and charger that i can use in the future. If i do that, buy a Bixler ARF from hobbyking and a pretty Nice tx, a smart charger with power supply, an esc and a lipo it would still, with shipping, not be much more expensive than buying a Hawk Sky or similar plane! I might do that
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:19 PM
Less Work More Play
Australia, VIC, Ferntree Gully
Joined Jan 2012
88 Posts
Here is my experience with new planes.

I recommend getting an ultra micro such as the Champ because it will be very forgiving. However, other suggestions are valid, such as the Hawk Sky or Bixler. I'm not sure what is available where you live but many people here like the Hobbyzone and Parkzone brands because of the availability of parts if something goes wrong and because they fly out of the box.
LWMP is offline Find More Posts by LWMP
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:22 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,611 Posts
The problem with the Hawk Sky and Bixler is the reason you aren't flying today after your first two planes: they broke and you couldn't fix 'em.

Parts availability on both of these cut-rate planes is very iffy. Look for Bixler parts on Hobby King website. Also the build quality of the Bixler is poor, leaving you with a list of modifications necessary before you attempt to fly it. See the Bixler thread on RC Groups. The Hawk Sky is better but a long way from the build quality of a Hobby Zone Champ or Super Cub. Those two can be guaranteed to fly excellently with no modifications, right out of the box.

You need to avoid the mistakes of the past and you're headed down the same way again. You can expect the same result unless you take a different road. High quality RTF is your path to success. You can do it and stay within or very close to your price tolerance.

If you save money not to learn to fly, what have you saved?
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:55 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fltoig View Post
Ive been looking for either a Dynam Hawk Sky or a Hobbyking Bixler. The problem is i live in Sweden and every plane is so expensive here! If i want to buy a Hawk Sky it costs about $240 here. The bixler, with shipping would cost about $190.

Which of these planes, or any else, would you recommend? I have flyed a 3ch before and used a flight simulator pretty much so i feel ready for a 4ch.

Thanks!

/Nils
Easy Call. I have both. The Bixler is at least twice the plane that the Hawk Sky is. The HS tip stalls too easily and the ARF is crap to put together. The Bixler will fly perfectly right out of the box is you use an 2200mah 3S 20C Lipo to get the CG correct. Happy flying.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:03 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,739 Posts
Do you have any place available where you can fly indoors during the winter months ? If so , for a larger indoor space try a Champ , for a smaller space try a Night Vapor .
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:37 AM
Closed Account
Joined Oct 2012
20 Posts
No i dont have any place indoor to fly, but im happy to live where i do. I live outside a little town in a forest thats my families, so a big open place just a few meters from my house

And thanks for the tips, i will buy a Bixler. Dont know when but soon
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:09 AM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
4,611 Posts
Just be very careful of the Bixler. Aside from the motor, esc and battery, Hobby King sells no spare parts for the thing. The build quality is frankly awful, and an experienced eye is necessary to properly fix the things that will keep you from succeeding. There is a Bixler thread here. Read it thoroughly. Do the mods BEFORE you attempt to fly the thing.

One specific to maybe get you out of your "I'm saving SO much money" hypnosis and into some kind of reality. The clevises on the thing are merely half-heartedly glued to control surfaces. They won't stay that way very long. So begins the reverse treasure hunt that is the Bixler. An experienced flier can make it fly well. It's a kit disguised as an ARF or RTF. The kit has no instructions. Hobby King won't tell you what is wrong with it.

Pray that there is nothing that your inexperience leads you to overlook, and there will be many possible ways to end up with a brick that looks like it should fly. I assure you that bricks don't fly regardless of how they are dressed up to look like an RC plane. There are several ways to turn your Bixler into a brick. Not all of them are obvious.

Just keep in mind that you are buying a plane that definitely WILL NOT FLY properly out of the box. It needs fixing or you will have a very bad day.

You would be much better served with a Hobby Zone Super Cub, Hobby Zone Champ, Hobby Zone Firebird Stratos or Multiplex Easy Star (the plane the Bixler WANTS to be but isn't). Your chances of successfully learning to fly would be doubled with any of these for just a little more money. Sometimes, as in the Champ, it might actually be LESS money. Money saved in order to fail is not money saved. It is money foolishly wasted.

If you insist on starting with a 4-channel trainer, the Apprentice of Sensei are your best choices, but you are talking about significantly more money than any of the others mentioned.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:47 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fltoig View Post
No i dont have any place indoor to fly, but im happy to live where i do. I live outside a little town in a forest thats my families, so a big open place just a few meters from my house

And thanks for the tips, i will buy a Bixler. Dont know when but soon
Bixler = zero spares
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:41 AM
Closed Account
Joined Oct 2012
20 Posts
First of all i want to say, this will not be my first plane. I have a 3 ch and now i want to proceed with a 4 ch.

I have read the thread about the bixler and im prepared to buy those extra things and change whats needed. But of course it is a problem with no spare parts avalible but i have checked and if i want to buy an apprentice or a plane like that, its still cheaper to buy a bixler arf, an esc, battery, a tx/rx , all parts needed for modification and a kit version to have if anything breaks.

But i understand what your saying and i havnt decided yet what to buy. However i do like a glider styled plane more than the cessnas or apprentice. And also, i dont know very much about those planes.
How are the apprentice to fly?
Is it a good glider?
How slow can i fly it?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:35 AM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
4,611 Posts
The Apprentice isn't designed to be flown as a glider and of course it would glide but not as well as a Bixler. Sounds like you have the knowledge and experience to pull this one off and I wouldn't worry about it. Just read through the thread, buy everything you need with the Bixler and prepare to have fun!