HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
Discussion
What is a good first rc boat

what are good rc boats for me and my friend we never have had any and want to start learning
Isaiah993 is offline Find More Posts by Isaiah993
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:35 PM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
495 Posts
sail or power?
seabee CE is offline Find More Posts by seabee CE
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:08 PM
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
power
Isaiah993 is offline Find More Posts by Isaiah993
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:23 PM
some what irregular
Diamond Bar, California
Joined Feb 2004
1,026 Posts
go fast?, scale? RTR {ready to run} build it yourself?
dostacos is offline Find More Posts by dostacos
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined Jan 2012
810 Posts
Dostacos, i just built my first boat..its a 50inch hydro that i converted to electric. This may not have been the best choice for a first boat but i had seen alot of video from someone else that convinced me that it was the boat for me. I dont live too close to water so it needed to be something that would make me want to go out to the lake.

Anyway, you want to consider how much you want to spend, if you want it ready to run or if you plan on building it yourself. I would go with electric because ..at least in my area..there are less restrictions on electric. Also, you dont have to deal with tuning and cleanup..both i have never been good with ...lol

You should of course go with what you are most comfortable with...as it will be you that has to live with it.

I have learned that the v-hulls are easier to control and have better turning ability and as i have seen ..tend to be more of a first timers boat. Checkout the picture post here (in the groups)...which i am sure you are already doing...also, if there is a local "pond" close to you...go out on a saturday or sunday morning and check them out. As i learned...you will get some good advice from some of the "old timers"...you might even pickup a deal on a new boat....

good luck....stiks
stiks is offline Find More Posts by stiks
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:22 PM
Joined Jan 2012
810 Posts
Dos...here is ...for me THE site for parts...if your looking at building. This will give you an idea of sort of the cost attached to a build. Again, there are cheaper ways to go..private sale, rtr (ready to run) or a low cost build...

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:26 PM
Joined Jan 2012
810 Posts
Also, here is my build...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1591421

Now understand, this is the first boat i built and i have learned soo much since doing it.. You can see from some of my early questions that i was/am a complete newbie.. So be kind..lol.. Also, i am by no means an expert ..but take what you can from the post...and those guys that helped me...are the bomb!!! as are most of the people here on RCG..
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:02 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,162 Posts
I think Dostacos was asking Isaiah993 what type of powered boat he was thinking of building...

Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:25 PM
Joined Jan 2012
810 Posts
Its all good...you can never have enough advice....now if you dont choose to use it..then thats a different story....lol...

besides the our work systems were down today....nothing but the internet!!!...