HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:55 PM
United States, NV, Carson City
Joined Jan 2007
631 Posts
Help!
Laminating wings

Hi guys I'm Laminating a set of wings with 1/32 ply on pink foam cores. The question I have is what glue or epoxies to use. Thanks
ian murdock is offline Find More Posts by ian murdock
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:02 PM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,191 Posts
If you're going to use weights to press the cores in their beds, then any laminating epoxy will work. I use a generic brand similar to West Systems.

If you're going to vacuum bag the wings, you can use Gorilla Glue. I prefer the yellow, not the white glue. The stuff expands quite a bit, so you only need a very thin layer on the skins. You can also use laminating epoxy when you vacuum bag, but the Gorilla Glue is a little bit lighter and cures in just a few hours.

-Keith
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:05 PM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,191 Posts
Oh, and do NOT use any kind of polyester or vinylester resin!!!!!! Unless, of course, you want a melted puddle of foam.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:08 PM
Joined Jan 2007
631 Posts
I don't know how to vacuum bag yet so I'm going to use the weighted system. Is is a good idea to use 30min epoxies or better to use the two part epoxies that I use for fiberglass work, it takes about 24 hours to fully cure.

Thanks for the help Keith
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:12 PM
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,191 Posts
Definitely use the epoxy that you would use for fiberglass. Yes, you have to wait overnight for it to cure. But the extended working time means you can get everything positioned just right.

The large amount of 30minute epoxy you'd need would kick off so fast, that I doubt you'd be able to apply it and get everything weighted down before it's too late. And then the neighbors down the street would wonder what you're cussing about.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:15 PM
Joined Jan 2007
631 Posts
That is a true statment. The only good think is that if I lay it up say tonight I really don't have any time to mess with it till Wednesday or Thursday. Thanks again Keith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeevyhouse View Post
Definitely use the epoxy that you would use for fiberglass. Yes, you have to wait overnight for it to cure. But the extended working time means you can get everything positioned just right.

The large amount of 30minute epoxy you'd need would kick off so fast, that I doubt you'd be able to apply it and get everything weighted down before it's too late. And then the neighbors down the street would wonder what you're cussing about.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:29 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,928 Posts
Do you have a Tap Plastics up there? Their Superhard 4-into-1 has worked well for me, and I've seen the Marine Grade used to good effect as well.

From what I understand their epoxy is re-labeled Jeffco resin.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:05 PM
S.L.O.P.E.
San Diego
Joined May 2005
3,464 Posts
I know for balsa skins, 3M77 works great. not sure that it'd work for ply. If it did then you wouldn't need to bag or weight the cores- spray on both surfaces, let tack up and press on!

Greg
howsthewind is offline Find More Posts by howsthewind
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:20 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,078 Posts
I prefer the quicker, thicker epoxies for skins. The slow cure epoxies tend to be thinner and can be soaked up into the wing skins making for a weak bond between the skins and the cores. Adding some thickening agent will help OR sealing the wood with some polyurethane should do the trick too. Another issue I've run into is having the skins move when using slow cure epoxies. You weight everything up and over a few hours stuff slides around.

So to summarize, I prefer a little quicker setting epoxy. I also like the yellow gorilla glue.

Also for a better bond, score the wing skins and the cores. I use VERY rough sandpaper (40 grit) on the skins. Just rub em slightly to rough em up a bit. I rub the cores ever so lightly with some 80 grit too. I've never had a wing delam doing this. But using thin slow cure epoxy on untreated skins and cores I have had those delam.

BTW, 3M-77 works great on balsa skins, but I don't use it on plywood.
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:26 PM
Santa Clara CA
Joined Sep 2010
232 Posts
I've used 3M77 on 1/64 ply over foam cores. Works great.
M Johnson is offline Find More Posts by M Johnson
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:45 PM
United States, OR, Tualatin
Joined Apr 2005
2,446 Posts
Do not forget: 3M77 is a contact cement. Where you make contact, it stays. Just a word of warning.
TomFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TomFlyer
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:49 PM
Carlsbad, Ca
Joined Mar 2007
3,037 Posts
The only precaution I've heard (reads as not experienced myself) when using 3M77 on ply, is that ply tends to Super Heat more than balsa and 3M77 tends to release with heat, therefore you could delaminate your wing with a nice Sunny Day, by having it sit out in the Sun.
chip.greely is online now Find More Posts by chip.greely
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Jan 2007
631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFlyer View Post
Do not forget: 3M77 is a contact cement. Where you make contact, it stays. Just a word of warning.
That is so true.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined Jan 2007
631 Posts
I do have some gorilla glue lying around here, that is what I used on my Mini Macchi skins, they were 1/64 ply.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:17 PM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip.greely View Post
The only precaution I've heard (reads as not experienced myself) when using 3M77 on ply, is that ply tends to Super Heat more than balsa and 3M77 tends to release with heat, therefore you could delaminate your wing with a nice Sunny Day, by having it sit out in the Sun.
What chip said. Had a little better luck with Southern's Sorghum, but did have one delam at the PSS Fest a couple of years ago, so not using that anymore either. We are bagging the skins on with epoxy now.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron