HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:34 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
well, what did ya go and do that for!? you are supposed to hit everything else but your finger. LOL

sounds painful though. fractures are the worst. hopefully you'll heal soon.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:27 AM
smithy
Cornwall, UK
Joined Dec 2004
524 Posts
D, sorry to hear about your little mishap. I think 19 oz/sqft is fine, hell you should see what mine comes out as! As far as making your wing bigger, go for it, as long as you scale it up and not just make it wider, I scaled mine up slightly and you honestly dont lose the scale effect. As far as your wing construction, mine used a full length ply spar, leading and trailing edge and balsa skin. She's solid, no twisting or flexing, you dont need to fill gaps with foam you'll just be adding weight.

Phil
jumpy is offline Find More Posts by jumpy
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:34 AM
smithy
Cornwall, UK
Joined Dec 2004
524 Posts
D, you say your spar slots in on top of your ribs. I would go the other way and fit ribs ontop of the spar, that way you have a solid section of spar running along the bottom of the wing instead of gaps filled by the ribs, any flex is absorbed by the ribs in compression, if you know what i mean .

Phil
jumpy is offline Find More Posts by jumpy
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:29 AM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
D,
Sorry to hear you hurt your hand. Been there and done that and is why I am a mechanical designer instead of a carpenter...
I did not see your estimation at 19oz/ft^2, this is a lightly loaded plane and should be good in loiter.
I build a lot in foam now days but when I did build in balsa I had some spindly wings made of 1/16 ribs and spar, I just sheeted the top with 1/32 and left the bottom open, the top sheet gave the wings a lot of rigidity without adding a lot of weight.
Hope to see your Froggy flying soon.

Cheers,
Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:39 AM
EDF Jet Jam 2015 , May 28-31
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,885 Posts
Sorry about your hand.
Nice work. I for one would keep the wing dimensions scale. As it has been said, there is no need for the foam inserts, once the wing is fully sheet it will be strong and light. A wingloading of 19 sounds good to me, maybe because all my projects end up at 24+
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:08 AM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,483 Posts
Sorry about your hand. You shud stick to designing., as your handle suggests.

I started on the F-23A CAD for a couple of weeks before looking up & finding uc's thread on YF-23 & your design. Decided to see how my 3D CAD compares with yours; but as you know there are a few diffs between the 2 versions.

My difficulties with my CAD pkg is mainly of the tendency to pich-in when filling in for intermediate x-sections; (ie scalloped or starved cow look) something I had not noticed in 3 previous projects. Thx for your suggestion of going back to lofting, which is how I did it earlier w/ 2D CAD, & now used to fill in x-sections where excessive pinching-in is seen.

I assume your pkgs don't have the same problem?

Get well soon to continue your build. Meanwhile do more designs.

Phil Lin
PhilLin is offline Find More Posts by PhilLin
Last edited by PhilLin; Oct 24, 2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: add clarifications
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:44 PM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,088 Posts
Thanks guys for the kind words.

Quote:
Get well soon to continue your build. Meanwhile do more designs
My thought exactly.
While i'm short to the draw on my shortcut keys, I can still pluck away at it

advanti (8 min 55 sec)
D_FAST is offline Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:08 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
dude, that is the coolest *&^%$#@ I've ever seen. abso friggin lutely amazing. I so wish I could do that. I got the outline done and got frustrated. LOL.

when you finish that, you PM me and I will paypal you some cash for doing that. your time is not free, so you give me a price and it's yours.

Rich
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:09 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
maybe in the future (if and when you have time) I might ask you to model the Jaguar undercarriage in a semi scale for me............for a price, of course.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:19 AM
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
D,

Bravo, that was great. I am an Inventor mechanical designer and can easily do that with Inventor, well not easily but I can accomplish the end result, I have been learning Sketchup to take Inventor5's place in the modeling toolbox but I am floundering with it. Thanks for the video it has given me some insight to how you accomplish what I am finding so difficult.

Cheers,
Eric B.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:36 AM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,088 Posts
thanks guys,
not very much out there on this avanti, while doing some research into the airfoils,aoa,etc i noticed my tail is totally wrong, easy fix though.

Airx, i use to beta test autodesk software.
I was an avid 3dsmax owner/user had every piece of there software up to 08-09. :P

Back in highschool is when i first got stuck on 3d, i remember plugging in vertex and face cords into a Dos window to generate a 3d box. oh the good ol days o black and green flickering screens.

When they merged with maya/lightwave i started to hate where the software was going.

This is just one way to achieve it. I could do it without all the construction guides and the push pull and scaleing.
But i thought id throw this type of modeling out there.
It is not really meant as a tutorial, but just trying to achieve what i done will get a lot of guys familiar with the tool set and shortcuts and the basic tools of sketchup
D_FAST is offline Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by D_FAST; Oct 26, 2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:50 AM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirX View Post
D,

Bravo, that was great. ..... it has given me some insight to how you accomplish what I am finding so difficult.

Cheers,
Eric B.
+1

Thanks for posting the video. It fully explained to me how you do your design. I'm slugging thru with, I suppose, the 'old fashioned' way with my DigiCAD 3D pkg. But as i stated earlier your hint to combine 2D lofting is getting the job done.

Continued speedy recovery.

Phil.
PhilLin is offline Find More Posts by PhilLin
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_FAST View Post
thanks guys,
not very much out there on this avanti, while doing some research into the airfoils,aoa,etc i noticed my tail is totally wrong, easy fix though.

Airx, i use to beta test autodesk software.
I was an avid 3dsmax owner/user had every piece of there software up to 08-09. :P

Back in highschool is when i first got stuck on 3d, i remember plugging in vertex and face cords into a Dos window to generate a 3d box. oh the good ol days o black and green flickering screens.

When they merged with maya/lightwave i started to hate where the software was going.

This is just one way to achieve it. I could do it without all the construction guides and the push pull and scaleing.
But i thought id throw this type of modeling out there.
It is not really meant as a tutorial, but just trying to achieve what i done will get a lot of guys familiar with the tool set and shortcuts and the basic tools of sketchup
D,

You are the man, I bow to your abilities..
I have been working in 3D since late 1990's AutoCAD V14 and 2000 Inventor V5 but your ability with Sketchup and how you have disected it to work your way is what amazes me. I guess I am just getting old...

Keep it going and we definitely appreciate help in learning Sketchup.

Eric B.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:24 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
We need a " DFAST GETTING SCHOOLED IN SKETCH UP CLASS "
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:41 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
D should start a Sketchup tutorial thread on the scracthbuilt forum. LOL.