RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:46 AM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,247 Posts
Then thats fairly good but it would only get higher if the wings come out heavier, if some one was to add landing gear etc. So, resizing would still be a good idea.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:49 AM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,525 Posts
D,
Im shooting for 600squares for the wing on my TA37, 2-70mm.
Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:49 AM
Joined Nov 1999
13,525 Posts
Sorry the phone doubled the post.
Last edited by AirX; Oct 22, 2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: double post
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:10 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,247 Posts
That a 60" wing to a 43" wing?
Either way, one note, looking at how the spars and wing forms slot into each other; Is that upside down.
I thought wing bend out to tips would want compression between members not tension expansion.

I don't typically build scratch so curious.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:43 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,525 Posts
On the TA37 it is a 60inch wingspan.
My goals were for a lighter wing loading.
I am shooting for 22oz/ft^2 This wil be a 5 1/2lb airplane.
The fans only need to make 2 1/2lb thrust each which it has shown on many others test and from my own tests.

I could expand on my design strategy but I dont want to hijack the thread.

Cheers,
Eric B.

D - keep on pushing it forward, the higher wing loading will fly just a little faster.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:29 PM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,025 Posts
@Maxthrottle

Not sure, this is my first built up wing ,designing and building never done one before

But the way it sits now each has slot,starting about 50% thickness and the spar slips over the ribs.

The way i thought, if the wing tip flex's up it puts pressure on the spar. The way i tackled it with filling the in betweens with foam its rock solid now with no glass. but they weigh a ton.

I should just chalk them up to a learning experience.
I want lighter. I'm tired of having 3 min burners,

Taking off!....zoom...,zoom...,Landing!

Being that nothing is attached to the fus, i guess it wouldn't hurt to just go with a bit larger and just use foam cores and balsa wood treatments with glass. I want to stay away from carbon as its being reported to glitching the 2.4's. Im one that has experienced it, was it from all the carbon, not sure but this build will tell me
D_FAST is offline Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:10 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
D'. On your wing, I think you will find that no need to fill the interior with foam, I've done built up wings being all foam fibs skin and just a 1/4" spar and find them more than strong enough although a hot wired and balsa is my favorite and most strong. Now on wing loading, make the wing bigger NO one will know the difference! You said the wing looked small,, go back and recheck your numbers which I'm sure you did but I'd it again, I've done this myself,, the wing on this plane looks like it should be a large one.. You could add an inch or more to each wing, it will help with the loading and like I said it won't even be noteced.. Keep up the great work, it's looking really good! W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:14 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Oh,, almost forgot,,, on the previous page there was talk of the Russian site,, this is a great site for info... I use Google Chrome instead of ie,,, it has the translator built into it and will ask you when you hit a non English site if you want to translate no need for add ons.. Give Chrome a try, it's free and FAR Superior to ie in many ways!!!!!! W
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:37 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
that Russian site is the best for that. can't remember the name for the life of me. I've got tons of drawings from the factory though, including landing gear and all kinds of weird stuff. LOL.
Its Airwar.ru....great for all kinds of info on most all aircraft that are somewhat common
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:24 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_FAST View Post
@Maxthrottle

Not sure, this is my first built up wing ,designing and building never done one before

But the way it sits now each has slot,starting about 50% thickness and the spar slips over the ribs.

The way i thought, if the wing tip flex's up it puts pressure on the spar. The way i tackled it with filling the in betweens with foam its rock solid now with no glass. but they weigh a ton.

I should just chalk them up to a learning experience.
I want lighter. I'm tired of having 3 min burners,

Taking off!....zoom...,zoom...,Landing!

Being that nothing is attached to the fus, i guess it wouldn't hurt to just go with a bit larger and just use foam cores and balsa wood treatments with glass. I want to stay away from carbon as its being reported to glitching the 2.4's. Im one that has experienced it, was it from all the carbon, not sure but this build will tell me
Sounds like you have built it with like a shear web. I have built a lot of arfs and kits. Most built up wings have a sub spars top and bottom and shears webs from top sub to bottom sub spar called shear webs. With a ply wing joiner spar running only so far into the wing on each side.
unclecrash is online now Find More Posts by unclecrash
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:56 PM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,025 Posts
well smacked my hand so hard with a 20ox framing hammer that i compound fracture my index metacarpal.So the builds on hold for the time being.
D_FAST is offline Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:18 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,742 Posts
Ouch, tell me it wasn't one with the waffle grid on it.
unclecrash is online now Find More Posts by unclecrash
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:33 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Ooooooowwwww!!! Sorry to hear that D! Get well soon. W
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:17 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,247 Posts
Ouch D. It'll give you time to think.
Something you may want to double check is the perspective on your screen vs CAD or software being copied from or through. With the new 16:9 etc Apps can add some distortion to bit maps.
Print your master and confirm it matches with the full scale dimension proportions.
Either way you still can just fudge it to suite the desired flight characteristics.
RCG Plus Member