HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:57 PM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
wow, how did I miss this one!? LOL.

wish I could learn some CAD skills. I really need to get out of pencil and paper drawings. I'm working on a 1/4 scale Piaggio Avanti II and it would be awesome to do it on the PC, rather than on paper.

Rich
It is quite different, if you erase or draw something you didnt attend to or wanted , hit the undo, try that with your pen and paper.

I'm by no means pro with Skecth Up, i do enough to get me going, free style the rest.
D_FAST is offline Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:16 AM
Joined Jul 2004
158 Posts
Hi,
Would be interesting how you got the fuselage formers done....there are quite a few.

Reuben
F86_sabre is offline Find More Posts by F86_sabre
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:32 AM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,774 Posts
Very nice!
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:45 AM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_FAST View Post
It is quite different, if you erase or draw something you didnt attend to or wanted , hit the undo, try that with your pen and paper.

I'm by no means pro with Skecth Up, i do enough to get me going, free style the rest.
Don't believe him Rich the guys a magician, he waves his magic wand and it pops up on paper right before his eye's.
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:19 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
gonna have to pay him to do the Piaggio for me. I gave it an honest effort last night and failed miserably. LOL. I'll give her another go tonight though.

I watched a youtube video on how to get a 3 view into the program and then put it together in three dimensional space. couldn't do it. got frustrated. LOL.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:52 AM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,060 Posts
@Luv, I tried finding some nice drawings to model and help ya out but couldn't find much. At least none with any sort of sections to start from.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:27 PM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,060 Posts
@F-86.
I use Google SketchUp
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:38 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
thanks anyway D. I'll figure this darn thing out eventually. just gonna take some time and a bit of hair pulling I think. LOL.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:32 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
wow, how did I miss this one!? LOL.

wish I could learn some CAD skills. I really need to get out of pencil and paper drawings. I'm working on a 1/4 scale Piaggio Avanti II and it would be awesome to do it on the PC, rather than on paper.

Rich
mikejamesmedia Piaggio Avanti II 3D forms for $350 Is that incentive to learn CAD
May be send him an email. I don't remember if it was him or someone using his models to make a 1/8 scale.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:26 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
yeah, I've seen his work before. amazing. a bit out of my league unfotunately. I can't imagine someone paying that much money for a 3D model. could be wrong though, but I've got flying 3D models that I've spent a lot less on. LOL.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:20 AM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,060 Posts
Build hits 100th hr

So much for getting this one out the door before the paint drys.

Got some more work into the fuse,
found out tonight how 1"stations really pays off.

It took about 1 hr total sand time and ready for spackle/filler>
All the details,the contour was there.just quick swipe with the 180 grit and it was finished. this white stuff is so darn messy i was glad i didint have to spend hrs sanding at it
My brother through together a rotisserie contraption, so i can save time on getting more coated at once

Works great though! should save me day of dry time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:47 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,329 Posts
Seeing what you accomplish in a week... I feel like a lazy bum
Love it. Especially the choice of the chamfer stab. Nice touch.

The thrust line??? How many degrees did you have it from the wings incidence?
Just curious. Won't really know if it needs adjusting against the wing till you have it in flight anyways.

Looks beautiful but not that I'm rushing you... wings. You got those in the works on the side? did you decide on tip ailerons or a strip aileron. Or scale outboard ailerons and flaps in board?

Just amazing to watch. Thanks for sharing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:25 AM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,060 Posts
Wings???What are those?Do I need them?
Still dragging my tail there.
Retracts are a no go, don't really want to toss this one, so im thinking some short stubby gear, and here i am trying to get ready for glass.

I went with 0 incidence, I just studied and matched as close as possible to what i had
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:41 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,329 Posts
Well its so light, you shouldn't have much issue doing the hand toss.
Gear I guess you're gonna need a compartment for steering. Lots of room in the nose so no worries.

As for thrust line.... my quick guess from your side profile pic... and this is just a guess, what do I know really; the wing foil is a high lift foil. At speed it will create more pitch up and the chamfer is pushing down, again more pitch up while the TL is countering neither at zero. But like I said too soon to tell.
It will definitely have good slower flying characteristics. Definitely a bush attack plane.

Can't wait to see the colours you pick. These have so many different paint schemes in all the former USSR states, it looks like each pilot slapped on what ever happened to be at the local hardware store .
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:11 AM
smithy
Cornwall, UK
Joined Dec 2004
524 Posts
Wow D you work fast. Looking really good. Instead of using stubby landing gear why dont you make up a launch dolly for take off. Im in the process of making one up for mine at the moment.

Max, as far as thrust line goes, i think most people would stick to a straight level thrust line if possible. But saying that the 'Froggy' is a complicated bird, here's what ive learned about the full size whilst researching my build.
It uses a thick airfoil section which is at negative root incidence and more at the tip, this is so it can pull high angle turns when in amongst the 'action'. It has the raised nose gear due to the negative incidence for take off and landings and also has the assistance of an adjustable tailplane which can be set to negative incidence to assist take off rotation. It has a negative thrustline aswell as you would expect with its wing layout, i believe its around the -2 degree mark, but i could be wrong.

Phil
jumpy is offline Find More Posts by jumpy