HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:21 AM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,158 Posts
Data
testing telemetry (quanum) at the field

october 8, dawn, near freezing, some frost; no wind on the ground, some up there. plane: stock radian 2 mt sailplane; 1400x3 pack; dx6i tx. i didn't notice any change in trim with the extra 16 grams of the quanum tx. ran motor for 5 min total for 6 flights (some 50 sec each). programmed for 11.5v alarm, which is about 3.8 per cell. watching the screen now and then, i could predict when it was going to hit. i didn't hear the 1st 2 beeps, as my hearing is not so good, but when i heard the 4 beeps repeating, landed at once. it was showing 11.48v, which is about 30%. at home the charger showed 50% at 11.54 when started charging, and took .575 ah to charge to 92%. i guess the pack recovers after a rest-the time it took to get home. my experience is that it is not difficult to glance at it occasionally, and the readings are helpful, once you know what figures to target. in my case i was aimimg at 3.8 per cell, so i was ready when the figures were getting close to that.

to me, it is a practical approach, so the quanum works fine with these basic readings, even without the amps device installed. as i said, once you know what figures to program to stop flying. i hope to test the amps meter when i get it, and the weather brings a chinook (indian summer), otherwise i will have to wait until spring. am getting too old to handle cold. today i had to wear my mask (balaclava they call it) that covers my nose to prevent me to catch a cold again (am just recovering from the worst flu ever), so i could not wear glasses, that i need for distance, as the steam from my nose fogs them when wearing the balaclava, so it was difficult to see what the plane was doing. and i don't know if there is enough room in the cockpit for the amps meter. will see.

all in all, a wonderful experience. i have to find a way to use it in my other sailplanes, as from now on, i will not fly without it if i can make room for it. peace of mind they call it. no more guessing and timing nothing. but as with everything, it's up to each 1.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
to remove ads between posts